Utah Duck Hunter

kilowatt

(11-30) 15:11 PST SALT LAKE CITY, (AP) --

A Utah bird hunter was shot in the buttocks after his dog stepped on a shotgun laid across the bow of a boat.

Box Elder County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Potter says the 46-year-old Brigham City man was duck hunting with a friend when he climbed out of the boat to move decoys.

Potter says the man left his 12-gauge shotgun in the boat and the dog stepped on it, causing it to fire. It wasn't clear whether the safety on the gun was on at the time.

Potter says the man was hit from about 10 feet away with 27 pellets of birdshot. He says the man wasn't seriously injured, in part because he was wearing waders. The man was treated at a nearby hospital.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

He's lucky. From 10 ft you'd have thought he'd have the entire load and wad stuck in his fanny...

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

I always thought duck hunting was a pain in the butt.

Elkoholic.gif

I would say that any time you get shot with a 12 gauge from 10 feet away and are not seriously hurt, don't bother buying a lotto ticket, because you just used up all your luck!

Eel

Smart dog

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The guy who was shot is a good man. I am glad he is alive, recovering, and able to kiss his daughter good night. The real story is intense and the news blurb is just the same ole blahh blahh reporting. Hope he doesn't set off the metal detector at the Airport with as much steel as he has in his body.

Very sad story. He tells about it on the waterfowl forum on Utah wildlife.net. Moral of the story is to always check and double check safety on your guns. I know I have caught my self going to push the safety off, but was all ready off. Never can be to safe. Just check a second time to be safe, I know I will.

The dog pulled the trigger. Think that pooch maybe had a gripe? Maybe felt shorted a milk bone? Got kicked off the couch? Got pulled of the neighbors poodle?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I am glad that this guy survived and is recovering well. It is an amazing story that can be made fun of as well as can be learned from. As said earlier, use safetys and be as careful as possible. In this case, there is no point in leaving the shell in the chamber while you are out of the boat and away from your gun. Climbing in and out of the boat with a gun that is loaded laying there or even in your hand is very dangerous. It all could have been avoided if he had taken a few seconds to eject the live round. Not talking shiz or trying to call the guy and idioit or anything, just thinking of how this could have been avoided. I know that after spending so much time around guns and obtaining a high level of comfort around loaded firearms, we all get complacent and develope a false sence of security. I do it too. We all can learn something from this story, I know I have. I wish this fellow hunter and his family well and hope he has many, many more years with his daughter. He definately is lucky and has alot to be thankful for. He also should have a talk with this dog, see what the dog was mad about :)

Robiland, it's not so much just checking to make sure your safety is on. It's NEVER laying your gun down when it's loaded period!

We are all taught this in Hunter's Safety and I actually learned this lesson the hard way myself.

This story was way to close to home for me and I didn't find it funny one bit.

My Bro-In-Law and I were out hunting ducks about 10 years ago on the Rainbow unit. We had a slow day, middle of the week, not another sould in the area. We were a good half mile out into the marsh.

We decided to call it a day so we put the safeties on our guns and lay them on a pile of toolies facing away from us, like we had done a 100 times before. Bro goes out and starts throwing decoys into me and I am placing them in the bag. Dog is running around having a good ole time. Bro comes back into the blind and we are finishing up when I hear a shot go off.

Scares the heck out of me and I look at my Bro like, "What the heck are you shooting for?" and he is giving me the same look.

I look down and my decoy bag is smoking. As reality starts to settle in I realize it's smoking because it was shot. As I look further the shot had gone right between my legs right about mid-thigh height with my waders on. I didn't even feel it! The hole on the close side of the decoy bag was about 1" in diameter and the hole on the far side of the decoy bag was about 6" in diameter.

My Bro was standing about a foot behind me and just to my side so he felt the percussion right across his lap. Well, what the hell just happened?

We start looking at the gun to see what happened and right away we can see the dog's paw print on the area around the safety and the trigger. The dog had jumped up on the Toolies, stepped on the trigger guard releasing the safety and as he stepped it turned the gun towards us and when he pushed off it pulled the trigger.

If that gun would have been 2' farther back or 2" to either side or 5 inches higher I would have lost a large part of my legs. Knowing there is a pretty good artery running down your leg and realizing we are a half a mile out in the muck and mud made us realize that we may not have made it out of there before bleeding to death in the marsh.

Well, needless to say, we were both very shaken. Shken to the point that I kneeled down righ there in the marsh and started to flat out weep.

It was a long and quite wlak out and ride home and to this day I get the chills when I think about or talk about the incident.

I still have the decoy and the decoy bag with the evidence of the incident and it serves as an excellent reminder to me and those I know to never leave your gun unattended when it is loaded. When you are going to set your gun down for any reason, UNLOAD IT!

I am very glad this guy is OK and I can only imagine how this was for him.

Anyway, just thought I would share :)

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I was duck hunting last year when a bird flew between me and another guy about 30 yards away, I just watched it but he decided to go ahead ant take a shot, long story short one of his BB's went threw my lip and shattered two of my teeth. It took over a year, ten dentist apointments and $3,000 out of my pocket, to get them fixed but I concider myself very lucky,it could have been alot worse.

Mark

>I was duck hunting last year
>when a bird flew between
>me and another guy about
>30 yards away, I just
>watched it but he decided
>to go ahead ant take
>a shot, long story short
>one of his BB's went
>threw my lip and shattered
>two of my teeth. It
>took over a year, ten
>dentist apointments and $3,000 out
>of my pocket, to get
>them fixed but I concider
>myself very lucky,it could have
>been alot worse.
>
>Mark

Dang lucky is an understatement. Why did you hold the shoot as being responsible for the medical? It was his fault after all.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

He was totaly responsible but he is a freind of my cousins and doesn't have a dime to his name, I could take him to court but probably not worth the trouble.

Mark

Farmington bay this year I took a #2 shot to the fatty skin under my eye. The guy apologized over and over, I found his duck for him still. He was probably 100 yards plus or minus 10 yards and didn't see us and anyone who's hunted out there knows that gun shots far away can sound close and the other way around. I was pissed for a minute, but it could have happened to anyone, I'm just glad it welted me and didn't take out my eye.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

At 10 ft I'm betting the charge hit the water first, then bounced, otherwise he'd be dead or seriously injured. I've heard of hunters being killed in similar accidents.

O_S_O_K
It amazes me how similar your story is to mine, only differences are we were hunting from a boat and my gun was leaning on my seat while we picked up dekes and my dog stepped on the trigger/safety and shot a hole in the front of the boat just below the rail and too close to one of my buddies.

We had killed many ducks while picking up decoys but found out (almost in a fatal way) the hard way it's not worth all the ducks in the world.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

The guy at the center of this accident posted his story on another site. He posted a picture of a decoy that was shot at the same time he was shot. He attributes the decoy to absorbing the wad and most of the shot before he was hit at 10 feet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom