Utah deer with 14 NR points ????

Blank

Long Time Member
Have been applying for that elusive Paunsaugunt late muzzleloader tag forever, and now I see in the draft 2010 regs that they want to move it up to Sept.29-Oct. 7th, from the November timeframe.

Would it still be as good a hunt, given that it is a couple weeks after the archery hunt, and still before rifle hunt? Should I just try for the archery instead now, and have the first hunt of the season? Should I just bide my time for 10 more years and switch to the Henry's?

Any thoughts from you guys that spend time down there? Being from Idaho I would probably be able to get in 3-4 scouting trips over the summer.

Blank, I would go archery if it was my choice. Being the first to get a chance to hunt is a big advantage..the bucks are still
running together and out in the open. Pauns deer start to migrate off the plateau about Oct.1...could make the new muzzle hunt a little unpredictable. P.M. me if you decide to go archery, I will help you if I can. Dik

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-09 AT 02:45PM (MST)[p]not as good! unpredictable I say is the word....
got to be willing to eat that tag if your holding out for a brute! bow hunting is a excellent alternative! henrys odds are still up there because of the numbers of tags vs apps!14 resi apps for 3 muzz tags,2 non resi ahead of you! if a non resi hunter I wait it out you are 1 another year out on a henrys muzz tag! last years 14 pts drew out as a non resi muzz hunter on the hennys!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I am no expert on either of these units, but if it were me I would wait a couple of years and draw the henry mountains muzzy tag. I think the pauns muzzy would be pretty unpredictable, and an archery hunt gets to be pretty tough. It is hard to beat a good muzzleloader hunt, especially on the Henries.

http://www.huntaddicts.com

He could not count on drawing a muzzy tag anytime soon. With only one tag, there is no max point tag, so people with 15 (nonresident) points only had a 0.7% chance of drawing this past year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I would check out the Henry Archery, I had a buddy who drew this year and stuck an absolute toad. He said the hunt was unbelievable and they seen many trophy bucks. I'm not an archery hunter so I don't know the odds but it sounds enticing.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Unfortunately, they only give one tag for each hunt to nonresidents, meaning that having lots of points doesn't mean that much. A nonresident with 14 points this past year would have been in the "max" point column, and yet only had a 1.2 % chance of drawing.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

And it seems like every good nonresident hunt with two tags gets the second stolen by the expo...So you are really looking at three nonresident tags before one will go to the top pool:)

Hey MM'ers. Thanks to everyone for the input and ideas! I will continue to check the odds, harvest report, and seasons when they are firmed up and go from there. Nice to know there are some alternate units which people think hold some good deer also. I like to hunt hard, and would be willing to eat the tag if I did not see what I wanted.

Heck, I might even luck onto one of those Expo tags! :)

I have 15 NR bonus points going into the 2010 draw & with only 1 tag available in the 3 Henry's hunts my points aren't much help!Move to Utah or put in for a different unit is my only option!
Good Luck,David

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom