Utah Cow Hunt

joesikora

Long Time Member
I was thinking of drawing for a cow tag in Utah, and my question is can an IL flat-lander like myself have a good chance at harvesting a cow without turning it into a grueling task?

I have 11 points for elk built up and have never hunted Utah before so I thought this would to a cool way to meat hunt and learn the area.
What do you guys think?

As always thanks for your time your friend
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

If you have 11 cow points I would put in for Deseret CWMU and go that route. 11 points for cow elk is nuts! Lol.

Are you willing to pay a trespass fee?

Your chance is 0% if you don't have a tag. Depending on the unit yes, research the unit you plan on hunting, I would go for a early hunt as access can be a issue on later hunts especially where you are out of state. However do a few searches and post again I would be more then willing to help if its a unit I know.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Travis, My bad I ment to say I have 11 points for bull elk after this year's unsuccessful draw. So I was thinking of drawing for cow tags in the future so as when I draw my dream tag I'll have some idea of the state and units etc.

Deerslayer, Shane Scott mentioned the plateau/fishlake/1000 lakes east

Thanks for your time
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

If you already have a unit picked out for your bull tag, you should do one of the cow hunts on that unit. Another option would be to buy a spike elk tag and hunt the unit that you want to hunt.

That way you would learn your unit.

Good advice c86

Thanks
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I have hunted many of the trophy unit on a cow tag before ever hunting with my bull tag or another family members. Usually the big bulls know you only have a cow and will come lick the barrel of your gun. Or blow snot all over you. If you wait for that big bull tag you may never get on one of these units without hunting cows.
If your hunting by yourself a large cow may be tough for one fifty year old man to pack out. That's where one of these guides will help out. Plus being out of state makes it tough to know the unit. God luck drawing your tag. Our cabin is on that unit. We may see you up there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom