UT - Bounty on Coyotes

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-12 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]From the OUTDOOR HUB:

Part of Utah?s new Mule Deer Protection Act is the Predator Control Program. The new program is meant to open coyote control to the public for the benefit of mule deer.

After completing an online registration form and a training program, hunters can begin to remove coyotes. Participants of the program will receive $50 for each properly documented coyote they kill in Utah. July 1 is the first day to register, but reimbursements will not be distributed until after September 1, 2012. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) is targeting coyotes in a recommended removal zone based on the areas that are important to mule deer.

Coyotes have high reproductive potential and have proven to be difficult to hunt. Typically they produce more than six pups per year often kill deer fawns. On an informational website about the Predator Control Program, the DWR admits it will be impossible to remove all coyotes from Utah.

To be most effective, the DWR suggests taking the coyotes between December through June. Coyotes mate during the winter, usually in January and February, so the most effective control method will be to remove coyotes after pairs bond and territories are set and before pups are raised. Late summer is generally a less effective time for removing coyotes. This is when most wander and disperse, dying of natural causes as they try to find new territory.

Governor Gary Herbert signed the Mule Deer Protection Act (Senate Bill 245) into law on March 17, alongside a bill to fund the predator program by adding a $5 fee on big game permits (Senate Bill 87).

More on the program from the Utah Division of Resources:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting/hunting-information/762

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Thanks Tony! I thought that when this program was suggested by a certain organization that it was not going to increase monies charged to hunters and taxpayers. However, I now see that a $5 surcharge is being added to each big game license and I believe I read somewhere that 1/2 million dollars is being taken from the General Fund (taxpayer money)to subsidiaze this program that a certain individual touted as being needed so the deer population will double in several years!

Predator control has to be an ongoing effort as well. We know that as a coyote population decreases through aggressive control efforts (or because of other causes such as mange), the size of the litters increase.

Does anyone know what a coyote pelt sells for? I assume a person in the program would get to keep and sell the pelt after its documented.

According to NAFA's site, coyote pelts averaged between $21-51. There is a broad range dependent on size, color, fur quality, leather quality, and how well the beast is put up. Summer pelts won't have much value. Some prime up decent as early as mid to late September at higher elevations, more into October lower down. Latitude will figure in too. If you want to make a little extra money on them, get some boards and learn to put them up. There may be some buyers who will take green pelts or on the carcass, but you won't get much for them. Might help with the fuel bill or buy some reloading supplies...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom