Using Horses ... One Woman's Experience

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So my wife wanted to share her experience on using horses in the high country. She did a good job in sharing her perspective. Take look at the article - CLICK RIGHT HERE

As some know, I'm not much of a fan of horseback riding. When I scout, I typically backpack. But, when it comes to hunting, the horses can be a huge benefit. During the hunt, more gear and food is often needed, and that makes the pack very heavy. I like to let a horse carry it and save my legs for hunting......sometimes.

We got our horses from Yellowstone Horse Rentals in Afton, Wyoming. I've used Chad's horses for several years. They do work pretty well, but as with many horses, you never know what kind of pain one might be in certain circumstances. These horses we got last week were ok. The one was a bit of a pain, but in my experience, that's part of the deal sometimes.

My question is, how many of you enjoy using horses while hunting? Do you use horses because you enjoy riding, or just as a tool to haul your gear? Do you own horses?

3268444.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I did three horseback hunts back in the 90s. One was a guided hunt out of a base camp that you could drive to and the horses were used to cover country and haul out meat. The other two were DIY hunts with rented horses, tack, and trailer. I love to ride and they do let you cover a lot more territory, but they do take more of your time to take care of them properly. I'm again thinking about going the rental route for a mulie hunt down in Region G of Wyoming in 2015. I'll have a little bit better handle on what I want to do when I get insider information from a member that will be hunting down there this year and then taking his Dad next yearalong with me and my buddy.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-14 AT 09:44AM (MST)[p]Horses are a tool. They can make life much more enjoyable in the back country if they work properly. I use horses because I enjoy them and I have great "tools". Back country hunts without my horses would be as miserable for me as your experience was with horses.

Someone who has little experience with horses will have a hard time with "rentals" simply due to the fact that the "rentals" are not quality tools. Even the best horse learns what he can get away with and after a time he will do what he wants, not the what the inexperienced rider wants. The horses you rented were spoiled because they have been allowed to do what they want, not what the rider wants. I'd be willing to say the guy you rented them from could get them to load easily, ride over water, etc. because they know he expects it. They don't know you expect it. (The photo of your wife's horse above is proof- the horse is more concerned about topping grass than working.)

If you had a rifle that never held a group would it be in your tool box? A rangefinder that gave incorrect readings? A fuzzy scope? Mis-aligned binos? Of course we wouldn't use those tools. A horse that doesn't load or cross streams or one that bucks or eats on the trail is not a good tool to use either.

If the horses are in good shape, 1-2 hours a day on feed is enough if you are on a 4 day trip. Water them twice a day. The animals have fat for a reason.

Just my opinion, but if I had to rent horses it would be strictly to expect them to pack and I'd expect to walk. If I got one that would ride, I'd consider it a bonus.

I grew up around horses although I certainly am no cowboy like many on here. I hunted with horses we would bring them west for a hunt and I did enjoy it for the access it provided. I have been on two outfitted hunts with horses and didn't enjoy the horses at all. The horses the outfitter had were brought by the guides and were their own or were rented these outfitters kept few of their own.

A couple years back the horse I rode the first day was known to bite, I was warned an he never did get me but he grabbed another hunter in our group by the shoulder which really ruined his hunt. They decided not to use this horse after that and I got a guides horse that was fat 300 lbs overweight by the guides estimate he labored to stay with the group like a fat man would. The third day I rode a horse that wouldn't stand to have his head tied so he had to be hobbled . Every time we started glassing I had to hobble the horse, if we left his sight he would head down the trail and moved surprisingly well with just fronts hobbled.

I may when I retire in a few years if I end up in the right area buy a couple of horses to hunt with but I think you have to be selective or they can be more work than benefit, especially for a guy without the most experience.

Great article! I understand exactly where your wife is coming from Brian. lol

When DO horses sleep?

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-14 AT 11:43AM (MST)[p]Good article Mrs Founder!
I've hunted sheep and elk off horses a few times. I've had my knee dislocated by a bucking bronc on a Wyoming sheep hunt (after the ram was down, thank goodness) but other than that, they have all been OK.
They are a necessary evil in many area and occasionally they are enjoyable to ride. Some are a pain in the "sitdown". I like what Packout said, "they are a tool".
I rode "soldier" in BC on a sheep and moose hunt. That horse was a charm, never bucked, never panicked and went anywhere I pointed it. That thing got me out of trouble and never lost his head... several times.
Yep, they are as individual as people!
Zeke

I rented a horse from Wofley's when I drew a moose tag for the west slope of the Tetons. I told Whan that I had no horse experience and really just wanted it to pack out a moose. He assured me this would be no problem. He delivered exactly on what he promised. The horse was very small but packed the bull easily. No problems getting it packed or trailered. I did try to ride the thing one afternoon. It was fine until it got dark. I had about a 3 mile ride out in the dark and the horse wanted very badly to get back to the trailhead. It wanted to trot the whole way. With my lack of riding ability it was brutal on my undercarriage. I eventually just lead the horse out. Then it wanted to clip at my heels. I thought about just turning it loose and picking it up at the trailhead. After that I just didn't ride it and all was fine. If it had been someone else that had more experience I bet that would not have been an issue. It sure made the pack out an enjoyable experience.

I grew up with horses, and my favorite thing is to go for a ride in the mountains. I am not an expert rider by any means, and we have had a few issues over the years, but I still love it. Like has been mentioned, each horse has its own personality, so finding a match for each rider is not an easy task.

Great article by the Mrs.!

You'll wanna keep some HEAD-SPACE Between Founders Head And all Back Feet of all Horses!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

+1 Packout is right on the money. I own horses and ride several times a week. I use them on mountain hunts whenever I can draw a tag. Even with my experience they can sometimes be a pain. Like us folks from lower elevation the altitude takes them some getting used to although they acclimatize quicker than us. If your gonna use them get some saddle time BEFORE the hunt.

I too grew up on a Ranch and horses were, back then, a part of our daily life. That said, i never got along or trusted them like others in my family and now i'll only use them to get my gear and self into hunt areas that i can no longer comfortably access by walking. To me, riding a horse is like rolling the dice, box cars could land you in the hospital or worse.

Nice story, Thanks for the memories it brought back to me!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I had a nice little mustang several years ago. I rode her a couple of times a week in the mountains and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not like to hunt with her. I expect it is a personal preference. A horse is a distraction to me, extra chores, and something to take a portion of my mind off of the hunt. Now, when an animal is down: that is a different story.

My latest solution is a go at pack goats. I expect I will have a horse again someday, when I have time to ride for the pleasure of it, but not to hunt with.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-14 AT 08:26AM (MST)[p]I like hunting off horseback, To me it part of the whole getting back into a place with less people. Having good horses and mules is a HUGE + for a nice trip. Yes they do take some time to take care of once you are in Camp, But that too is part of the experience of hunting off horses, no different then chopping wood or setting up. Yes they are a tool that makes it easier to travel farther and faster and cover more ground.
Problem with horses and mules that you own is they cost some fricking much to feed.
I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheap to rent them, then it is to own them.

They do have pads that attach to the saddle for the rider to use that will make her ride more comfortable also, she need to get one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Great article by your wife, she sounds like a great and funny companion to have with ya in the hills. I too am like others on here and have grown up around horses and have used them quite a bit in the hills. With that being said; you can never guarantee you wont have an accident but the more you are around them and gain experience, the better you are at avoiding potential bad accidents.

They can be a great tool for hunting and backpacking but I feel one should not go in blind and unprepared for what can happen with a big animal hauling you and your gear in the hills.

Just my thought....

redelkarcher>>>------------>

I too own my own horses and have access to many horses and I can honestly say that they are the only reason I have been able to shed hunt like I have and hunt some of the places that I have. I absolutely love it I have done multiple trips in a single day that were 25 miles plus in a single day and would have been beaten to death had I tried walking that distance especially with any kind of weight. My most treasured memories were made by horses,, packing far into the Uinta mountains, shed hunting, fishing, hunting what ever. They can be a pain in the ass but they are worth their weight in gold. Sure is nice bringing all quarters and parts of an elk out in one trip even if its miles and miles back in.. I would give up a lot before I gave up my horses.

Couldn't imagine hunting elk any other way !! But like others have said they are a tool and not for everyone.

I have taken guys on hunts with me that were not good horse riders, they were horse sitters. One time we got into some bees and horses don't like getting stung a hundred times and will run off, it was funny but scary watching that horse run off with the guy just holding onto the horn not knowing what to do.....he said he could ride. The horse finally calmed down and everything was alright.

Another time we had a big black bear come up over the side hill onto the trail we were on and the horses got to spinning around and one really spooked, threw the inexperienced rider off and was gone. He went all the way back down the trail we had just rode up to the trail head...about 5 miles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom