using dogs to hunt coyotes

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
M

mywifeishotterthentiffany

I was in a sporting good store the other day and they had a dvd of a guy using dog to decoy coyote in. He would use a call and get then close then the dogs(2 labs) would lure them closer and he would shoot them. It worked so awesome. Anyone know about this or done it?

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I saw a dvd something like that from Wyoming (I think) the guy used mountain cur dogs. It seemed to work pretty well, thought about trying with my labs but, thougt better of it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-09 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]Ask Longshooter 338 he has a couple dogs he uses. Catahoulas I believe. I just picked up 2 mountain Curs a few months ago to use for decoy dogs. They are really neat dogs. My male pup is a stryker bred cur (brindle) and has 1/8th plott in him, he has an amazing nose. My female is a Kemmer mtn. cur and she looks somewhat like a yellow lab but smaller. I've never seen a dog flip a switch (prey drive) like her.

There are a few videos out on it. Doggin Coyotes vol.1&2 come to mind. I think there are a couple others besides these.

mywifeishotterthentiffany, I went and dug out my videos and got some info off of the back. The vids "Dogging Coyotes #1" and "Dogging Coyotes #2" can be found at www.elkinc.com or you can call 1-406-848-7655 for info or 1-800-272-4355 to make orders. fatrooster.

Seems to me I remember of guys using Greyhounds trained to chase and kill coyotes.

Wildsage

fatrooster Thanks for the info. i would like to know if anyone ever tried it.

Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

wildsage, those are coursing dogs (greyhounds, salukis, afghans, borzois, etc.) that is a different style of hunting than decoying. With Coursers guys will drive around until a coyote is spotted and then turn them loose, the dogs chase, catch and kill the coyotes. Decoy dogs act as a lure or decoy, the coyote comes in to investigate, then a game of back and forth chase ensues until the decoy brings the coyote into the hunter.

I was bird hunting Kansas a few years ago and got to watch a few Greyhound's run down a coyote. I'd only ever seen greyhounds on the track, those bag of bones are amazing in the open field!

I have a bunch of family members in Nebraska that hunts with dogs like that. I went up there this last x-mas and got to join in. pretty crazy stuff. Have the box in the back of the truck and they would drive all the shelter belts between fields and shoot 22's in them and the coyotes would scatter. there would be pretty much a truck on every corner of the field so the coyotes chances are pretty slim to none.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom