Use ATV's illegally.........Lose Your ATV!

S

SoleSearcher36

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-12 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-12 AT 01:21?PM (MST)

How many of you would like to see an "enhanced" penalty for illegal off-trail abuse of ATVs? Lazy, unethical shed hunters not only have the potential to give all shed hunters a "black eye" by unethical and illegal use of ATV's offtrail they also damage habitat, contribute to/cause erosion problems. I contend that this type of use of ATV's is also unnecessarily disruptive to game animals(particularly mule deer) on the winter range. I am seeing more and more of this type of abuse with each passing spring and have to believe many of you are as well. From what I have seen firsthand it seems these guys operate with relative impunity and something needs to be done about it without just needlessly penalizing the vast majority of honest folks out there.
How many of you would support an "enhanced penalty" system to possibly help remedy the problem without unneccesarily penalizing legitimate ATV use on established roads/trails?
The current fine system of $100 is obviously not a steep enough price to pay for illegal ATV use. I would propose a "graduated" penalty system that would impose drastic penalties on gross or repeat offenders to include a $10,000 fine and seizure/forfeiture of the offender's ATV and personal equipment.(binoculars,etc)
I believe this would help put a damper on this activity without unneccesarily limiting or punishing the responsible user.

I have already contacted the BLM as well as Colorado Parks & Wildlife and think this is something that is acheivable with a little support and consensus amongst sportsmen.

What say you?

This is a remedy I am going to pursue in my home state of colorado and am beginning the groundwork for that. Will it get anywhere..............it won't if I don't try. The squeaky wheel usually gets the oil so I guess I am going to have to be that wheel rather than silently griping about it rather than trying to do something. Anyone interested in lending their support/advice in any way can feel free to contact me at [email protected]. It would be helpful to have a list of supportive names to accompany my contact with the CPW,BLM & USFS. I will even have a folder for hate mail if you like to send that sort of thing. I am not looking to further limit our use of ATV's/offroad vehicles. I am generally supportive of responsible use and do so myself. I am interested in protecting our resources and the priveledges we currently have and not allowing a small percentage of disrespectful abusers threaten the future of those priveledges.

Forget about New Laws that will not be Obeyed or Enforced!

TUNE Em!

And I mean TUNE Em Good!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom