Unplugged AZ Horns Legal?

I don't believe they are legal in Utah either, but I was told the other day that they are legal to residents in Nevada. Does somebody have the "real scoop" on the state by state rules for plugging sheep pickup/deadheads?

And ebay wouldn't let me sell a bear mount. Funny. Maybe the DNR should start the bidding on this one.

Just curious where the plug would go? Here in BC the plug goes in the back about 12 inches from the base and it is flush with the horn. The pictures shown of the Ebay ram does not show a picture from directly behind, as this is the only place you would see the pin from.

BHB

There was another set of sheep horns for sale from AZ about a year ago. They were unplugged and I asked the seller about it.

He stated that since he found them on his property they were his and he could do whatever he wanted with them.

And according to my foggy memory he was right. Now, laws differ by state. In CO, you can pick up sheep horns and keep them - just can't sell them. In MT, you can't even pick them up legally.

In my opinion, you should not be able to sell unplugged sheep horns no matter where you found them.

Horns were not always plugged in AZ. The owner must provide proof of legality surrounding the horns to sell them. In other words if you buy them and can't furnish this you may put yourself in an ackward position if anyone turns you in. The owner can't sell them legally unless they are plugged according to AZGFD. Now I'm sure there are a few situations that would fall outside this but I don't have any idea what they are. For horns that are being sold prior to being plugged the proof of legality point should suffice. In any case let the buyer beware if the seller can't furnish proof. Hope this helps Harry!

"He stated that since he found them on his property they were his and he could do whatever he wanted with them."

Don't the animals belong to the state whether they are dead or alive?

I found and sold a ram head 15 yrs ago. G&F in Yuma AZ told me in order to transport to some states it may require a plug.They also said to have it, did not require a plug. Differant states have differant laws about having animal parts, first check with your state and then the state they are in. All AZ told me was enjoy my find!

i've never had a passion for hunting these animals and am curious as to what a plug is?

the only eagle with enough power and speed to kill and gut you with one shot

True about CO.
A plug is metal pin or screw so to speak that is drilled into the horn by the state to verify that it was taken legally.
I'll bet somebody could post a picture. Sorry I dont have one.
Wish I did though!
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom