Units 59, 59A Mule Deer

M

matt4695

Was wondering if anybody has hunted deer in these units,, they look good along the Montana Idaho border. I always drive by these units, but have never spent the time to do any scouting or hiking. I know the deer harvest is low.

Tons of hunting pressure and access from the beginning of archery to the end of the late hunts, then the REZ shows up and finishes the year off. Mule deer numbers are not very good, and quality is very piss poor. You have to realize that with zone elk tags and the population base and unlimited youth either sex tags, nobody wants to branch out much to just deer hunt. Once in a great while a nice buck will get pulled out, but that would not be the norm! This is an opportunity hunt if you like to meat hunt with low sucess and camping!!!!!

Thanks, that's kind of what I was afraid of. The country is really open. I know Montana made the unit across the border a limited draw.

I had a Montana Lic. and hunted both sides of the line quite a bit for elk, during the archery season, I was actually hoping to see some deer on the Montana side, but was pretty disappointed in the number of deer that we saw. Didn't even see a nice buck let, alone a big one on the Montana side!!

I have been hunting 59 for the last 5 years, since I have not drawn a good tag, the buck doe ratio is bad, and most the bucks are 2 points, I have seen a couple good bucks in September and screwed up the stalks but have never found them during the rifle hunt. I know a guy that usually gets a nice 4x4 out of 59A but know alot more that just take their kids up to fill the youth tag(doe), personally I have had more success with the elk, could have filled a wolf tag this year.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

I killed a nice 7x7 (196") a few years back in there and thought I had found a new spot but after talking to one of the area ranchers I found out I had gotten even luckier than I thought LOL>

We hunted it a couple of times since and found small bucks but no good or even decent bucks but that is the problem with general season opportunity type hunts.

The year I got him there was a heavy snow early and I think that may have concentrated the deer low for a few days until it melted some.

Bill

Wow bern nice search, you dredged this one up from way back. LOL

I will try to figure out the pic posting thing this weekend , will you do the same for the 15 25" bucks you have killed in the last 20 years and especially the 29" from 2009 bern?

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

What are some ideas to improve the deer herd size and the age of the bucks in these units , but still keep it in the general hunt ?

Thanks

From what I've seen over the years as far as predators are concerned, wolf population is down, there are a few around, but not like there was a few years ago. I've spent alot of time in these mountains for one reason or another(work and play)and on some of the late hunts, mainly for elk, and gathering cattle, from what I've seen the kitty population is by no means out of control. During the winter the coyotes take a serious pounding with recreational vehicles. So to answer your question the only predator that needs to be controlled so that deer numbers can recover enough to sustain a deer hunt of any kind, is to control the two legged predator. To many doe hunts, to many buck hunts, I could go on and on!!!!!

I agree. The potential is there in these units. But it has been managed horribly. I grew up in these units and theres a huge change in quality and quantity in the past ten years. The fish and game need to change those units to a controlled draw only for a 5 year period then open it up as a four point or better unit. And keep a small number of doe tags available for controlled draw meat hunters or youth. Just to keep the ratio in check. I asked why the fish and game didnt do this in more units in a public meeting a few years back and the answer I got was " then youd have four point bucks running all over"! I dont know about you but i dont see the down side to having four point bucks all over. Its all about the money for the fish and game. If theyd just see things in a long term plan theyd eventually start selling more out of state tags if the quality was in Idaho. I could rant for days about this!

Do you guys think the units in montana that border these units would benifit from a 4 point or better hunt ?

I am with you, the thought of mature bucks running all over would be a welcome sight.

I would like to see a 3 or 4 point or better hunt and leave it in the general and stop whacking the antlerless for a 5 year period.

I would be OK with a controlled hunt for antlerless for the youth , maybe in the 3rd year . 75 antlerless tags max ..

This would take alot of pressure off these units for a few seasons.

No harvest of forkys and the antlerless for awhile and watch these units come back.

The buck hunt in Montana along these units are draw only, 30 buck tags to be exact, and has been that way for several years. One of my huntin buddies drew the buck tag this year and my son had an elk tag, we spent a good amount of time in there and We didn't see much for size or numbers and he hunted his ass off looking for a quality buck, pretty disappointed with what he saw. He finally shot a 167" buck the last day he could hunt.

Me personally, I hate 4 point or better restrictions as you only end up shooting your best genetics as 2 and 3 yr olds. Not only these units but all the units in the area, both sides of hwy 15 NEED MORE DEER!!!!!
I think you could shut the hunting off totally for 5 yrs and you wouldn't see much improvement.

Lets see if I can get this to work, my 08 buck from 59. Mid 190's gross measured by my taxi who I believe is an official measurer. He's only about 22" wide but has good mass and extras as well as great tine length.

9115228.jpg

4825227.jpg

8049233.jpg

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Treed you guys did great on your NV tag. That was you right? Sorry I never came through on the maps it seems dad misplaced them.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom