Unit 78

F

fishnate

Just wondering if any of you guys hunted 78 or know how this unit is doing deer wise. Any info would be apreciated.

The rest of the SE area is still a general tag, and getting pounded every year. I was glad to see the F&G finally trying to do something positive in the region when they made 78 a controlled hunt, but until they reduce the amount of deer killed in the entire SE region the hunting will never be as good as it can be.

I'm also curious how 78 is doing. I hunted it a little before it went to a controlled hunt. Franklin Basin area. Beautiful looking country. I think the quota is like 200 tags now. Seems low enough that the deer should be able to make a comeback.

Don P.

The quota is 200 for 78 which is a pretty low #, but as I said all the other zones around it are general and hunted hard. As beaten down as the mature buck population is in the entire SE region, I think it will be hard for 78 to make a big "comeback" when it is only 1 zone in the middle of so many. Just my opinion.
P.S I do agree with you that it is beautiful looking country.

I agree with Mosey69 i gew up in 74 and am debating to hunt else where, the draws in 78, 73, 70 don't do justice its like putting water on only a few spots of a wildefire. the others keep burning, hopefully the pull there heads out before the flame dies.

Sad but true. SE was some of the very best hunting I have ever seen with great access and great great bucks. Overhunting, elk and winterkill have changed it for sure. Hope it comes back!

Jazz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom