Unit 76 and 66a Idaho elk hunt help??

J

justgettinlucky

Ive decided I want to do an OTC archery tag in Idaho this year. Through phone calls and research ive decided primarily unit 76 to hunt. I do know that you can hunt 66A with the same tag though. I guess my question would be is if anyone can help me with any kind of information on this unit. Thanks!!

There are a decent number of elk there, it gets hit really hard so it is a tough hunt. There are some nice bulls that do get taken out of that area. There is a quota for that zone and they give out around 1700 archery tags around 1000 resident and 700 non resident. If you are a resident I would suggest getting your tag early they typically sell out before the hunt starts. Elk are found in the typical spots you would expect to find elk, up high and away from roads. It is a motorized vehicle restricted area meaning you are not supposed to use ATVs on anything but roads that are established for full sized vehicles but there are ways around that rule that people really abuse like the caveat that you can use them to pack in camps and gear. People will strap a sleeping bag and tent to their bow case and ride atv trails back in as far as they can go regardless of whether they have the intentions of camping or not. so in addition to trying to get away from roads try and get away from ATV trails too.

I don't think I can tell you where any "honey holes" are because they move from year to year. If you can't find the elk, you just have to keep going. They could be from the side of the road to the highest peak, just depends on the hunting pressure.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Wish I could help you but the best advice I can can give ya would be to try a different zone. I hunted both units in diamond creek zone for the last four years and it is so over pressured its unbelievable. I know everyone says ya just gotta go in further than everyone else but there's no shortage of guide drop camps other pack camps and spike camps, and a ton of sheep that will push elk completely out of the area. The elk numbers are way down in that zone and will probably continue to decline until they change management practices. Check out the archery harvest reports on the fish and game website you'll find that 66a and 76 have the most archery hunters in the state. Read any forum out there and you will read the same thing over and over. I will not hunt that zone until they cut the tag numbers in half which won't happen. I'm looking at the Teton zone or sawtooth zone.

Does anybody else have any input on this unit for OTC archery hunt?

I and two or three other guys are looking for a good OTC archery elk hunt in Southern ID.

Thanks,
SpikeCamp

I'll echo what is usually said about both units. I have hunted both. Be prepared for hunting pressure. If you hike in too far, you'll hit pressure from the other side. The elk are incredibly call shy...and for good reason. I've had two hunts ruined by people driving right past the "NO OHV" signs and nulling my attempt to out hike pressure. Please keep the appropriate phone numbers handy and attempt to turn them in.

+1 on having all the numbers with you. Three years back had these guys Atv'n into the no off road zone after we hiked in a ton of miles from another direction. Made the call and those guys were busted the next day....now that they are dialed in to that Atv trail IDFG sets up trail cams gets plate numbers and just sends them tickets in the mail....love it...but it still messes up some hunting until those jerks get the message. Way to much hunting pressure and hard to get away from all of it....bring your own rock....to stand on.

))))------->

Just go look at the Elk Objectives numbers for those 2 units.. they are below objectives.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom