Unit 73 behind Malad?

slamdunk

I'm a Utard that has transplanted to IF and i have no clue where to hunt deer. Every trip i have made home to see my kids, i pass through Malad just drooling over the mountain range to the southwest. Is this a public unit i can hunt? A draw unit perhaps? I'm not expecting a monster buck, just a decent hunt i can take my new family on and maybe kill an "average" somewhat mature buck. Any advise or suggestions will be much appreciated!!

that mountain is called samaria mountain and is in my front yard it is a draw unit and the deer are gone.I am on the mountain on horse and truck all summer and the deer numbers have plummeted the last four years. still a few good bucks but few and far between. And alot of pressure like hunting Yoast one mile area in Boxelder.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-11 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]Welcome to Idaho Slam!! I don't know much about 73 but i think it can get hunted pretty hard. I guess you'll have to join the rest of us sluggs an put in for 45, it's kind of like waiting for a Heneries tag only without the points! You'll get use to the drive thur Montpelier and Cokeville, it's quicker to go along the east side of Bear Lake if it's a week day, Laketown over to Sage Junction to Woodruff I know every turn by heart.
What brings ya to Idaho? The land of opportunity!!!!

Thanks guys, great info.....back to the drawing board :-(
I just want a simple place to enjoy a family deer hunt, nothing hard core, we have small children and are basically looking for a place to camp and introduce them to MY world.

What brought me to Idaho?
What has the most powerful magnet attatched to it other than a gorgeous woman ;-) We'll more than likely end up back in Utah. She's from IF so i chased her.

If she's from Idaho then she's probably got horses....watch out they get real expensive haha :) IF you want to check out a general unit, try the ones to the west like sublette or Arbon Valley. Still a crap ton of people but It would be a good camping trip.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-11 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Is 73A an open unit, no draw?

Oh....and no she doesn't have horses, she's originally from Marlyland and moved here after her military service from Germany. We're foot soldiers. Lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom