Unit 66a and 76

Jq23

I drew the controlled elk tag for these units. The hunt starts October 15 and i was wondering what caliber bulls are in these units and how the overall numbers are. Which unit would be better to hunt? Anyone have pics from previous hunts in there? Also, are there many bears in those units? Feel free to pm me

Thanks

You are doing the right thing and trying to get some info. Although, I have previously applied for this hunt (66A), I have never been drawn. My father did about 15 years ago and got a nice super-wide 6 pt. I would contact the fish and game for their view. Can you get over there and scout to get a feel for the terrain that you want to hunt? Get a good topo map and a USFS Travel map. Have fun and if you have the time to hunt you should be able to get into them.

There are a few bears in the area, not as many as further north. They have been known to find a gut pile!

There are elk throughout the zone. A nice mature 6-point (300-320" bull) would be my goal, not too many huge bulls. Access becomes increasingly limited the further north you go. A lot of that country is very thickly covered with pine, which can make glassing difficult. Be prepared to hike. A few of the roads get VERY slick when wet, and can leave you stranded if not prepared. Good luck!

Always a couple cats roaming in 76. Screwed up my hunts clearing elk out of the areas in two out of the last four years. A bear here and there but so far no issues. I'm thinking better success in 66 with a rifle just IMO. Looking at 2013 take stats on the IDFG website. I saw 1076 or so hunters in 76 but it seems everything was archery? Everything listed taken was archery? Nothing listed taken rifle to muzz. You got some special tag?

))))------->

Thanks for the replies. I will be going in with horses and hopefully get away from some hunters. Any good areas to go with horses? I am not holding out for a big bull, the first nice 5 or 6 point I see I will shoot. Are there many smaller bulls running around in these units?

thanks

Just got back from 66A. I've seen bigger bulls in that unit, they must have been somewhere else than where I was hunting. I don't think you should have a problem finding elk from a horse. Don't forget your bugle, sometimes they are still answering that late in the season. If you can't find the elk, start pushing the really thick stuff. They always hang out in there.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom