Unit 61 Thoughts!

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
Well I'm burning max. points on 61 this year. Yes I know its a tough hunt and has wolves and grizzlies but the fire in 2006 I think helped some. What are some of your thoughts. I'm already committed I'm just wondering if it was a good idea. Thanks.

Elk?
(Never hunted there.)
IMO
Yes.
If you are looking for a B&C book bull you may eat tag soup. If you will be happy with a good representative / mature bull you should do fine and have a great experience.

Corn are going type 1 or 2 ? I'm thinking about 61 type 2 for my wife she has max points too. type 2 is a much harder draw but the sucess is lower than type 1, not sure what to think about that.

I don't know if you've ever been in that part of the world but allow a couple days in Cody for the Buffalo Bill museum and don't miss Thermop.

I went type 1 I'm not sure if it was a good decision or not but its done. I'm pretty familiar with the Cody, Thermopolis area or at least until 5 years ago. I spent a lot of my summer time in the Shoshone and west of Cody. I used to spend some time each summer hiking fishing generally messing around there. The Museum in Cody is well worth the cost been through it a couple of times. I guess my main concern not having been there in 5 years is how much wolves have changed things. I know they've been killing livestock and they've taken some out for that, just a question of how many are still gobbling elk.

From the guys I've talked to it is pretty bad, the more north you go the worse. sounds like there are good numbers of elk yet though, and the longer you wait the worse it's going to get so you're probably doing the right thing.

The private land and access issues are my biggest concern, it looks like a problem but I don't know.

I think I have access issues figured out. I just wish we'd declare war on the wolves but I guess that is old news. I thought that would happen a couple of years ago which I guess shows how smart I am. I don't believe in breaking the law but in the wolf issue I will make an exception.

The best hunting is in the wilderness. Anderson Ck is a top producer. Venus Ck isn't bad either. Check out Bob Sundeen's website for representative bulls. They take out some nice ones. If yer looking for a place to get away from the crowds and the non-rezi's, it ain't a bad place to be. I may try for another hunt up there one of these years...

Hope you have horses.... Hunted 62 last year and have spent some time in 61 with my uncle whom lives in Meeteetse. He's killed some nice bulls out of 61, one scoring in the 360 class.

Coloradoboy

Looks like you will know come Tuesday the 21st @ 0800 Coach!

Best of draw luck to ya for sure.

My Sheep results will be a pinch later come May but we still might spend some time together this fall.

Janice has given me some good intel via Lisa....

'Mojo' to ya Rick!

Robb

Robb

Yeah its getting close I hope you draw the sheep if you do I hope we can meet up around a campfire or in the area for a drink of celebration or a supper. May is a long time to wait. I'm usually in pretty good shape but I've been running a little more with some of my track guys (I should say behind them) building up Karma so that I draw. I got back in the weight room as well. We'll use mainly horses but the more you've got in the tank at my age 55 the better off you are. I haven't backpacked 61 since the summer of 2005. Its been darn cold running.

Best of Luck
Rick

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom