Unit 6 Whitetail Numbers Recovering?

U

ultramag81

What have you guys been seeing? Are the deer doing better than they have beent the past few years? We normally hunt Potlatch land but know that the whitetail took a hit with the 2007/2008 winter. Are things getting better yet?

along with the record setting winter of 08/09..also..numbers are not going to recover in one mild winter...there will always be bucks/deer around.. just less of them...it will take a few years of mild/normal winters for them to come back to numbers prior.

I hunt unit 5, the deer up there also took a hit from the hard winters. They are slowly starting to come back however. This year the deer numbers are still low but the number of shooter bucks is up, due to the easy winter we just had and the wet summer. I have seen more big bucks this summer that I have in the past five years. Young 2.5-3.5 year old bucks are producing 130-150 class racks this year. I would definiantly hit the potlach ground hard. Hope you get a big one.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-10 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]Hey there panhandleboy, are they starting to pre-rut yet? I hunt up north as well..

LIVE TO HUNT, LOVE TO FISH!!

I was out last weekend and hunted hard, without seeing any bucks. I haven't seen many scrapes yet but know they are going to start soon. The last buck I saw was around Oct 10 and was a 140+, that was definiantly hanging out with does. This weekend I am going high for mule deer.

Thanks for the info.

We can't get over until Thanksgiving, hopefully there is still some rut activity going on then.

did alot of still hunting on monday and tuesday... ran into 6 scrapes in 3 different areas. none of them were stinky

well, I hope it starts getting hot later next week.. My brother and I head up in Unit8.

We hunted around Kamiah a 3 years ago due to kids sports schedules not allowing for Oct hunts. Plan to go back for the same reason in a few weeks, did the winter affect them as much down that low year before last?? My youngest is 12 so it's his first big game hunt and would like to find him a fork. Older boy is 16(team just won state CC championship) so hoping to get him a buck also.

It'll be fun either way, if you can help us set expectations for our 3 day hunt I'd appreciate it.

Can any of you Northern boy's tell me how the weather is up there, and maybe if the pre-rut is on?

getting into the 20's overnight here in a few days. the wife will be hitting it hard starting monday.. i'll let ya know what we see. snows in the forecast.

thanks madmoose, little bro and I are heading up tomorrow to unit 8 .. good luck to you guys.

Just got back from up North.. Pictures to come... RUT IS ON!!

Yep it is on shot a nice buck friday and saw a big one after I already shot mine. They were chasing does all over.

Afternoon elkslam,
Where you hunting unit 6 or unit 8? I sure could use some help locateing a few. I have tried around Moscow and Bovil area but have seen very few. It has been snowing last night and today so should get them moving more maybe. Thanks for any help
Gary
Moscow, Idaho

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom