Unit 6 muleys?

manny53

Long Time Member
I have an opportunity to hunt this area with a friend who lives in the area I'm just wondering is there any decent mule deer in this country...thanx Manny

yes, stay as high as you can as long as you can. big whiteys will be running the same ground. you can see them together often.

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a decent deer in that unit Muley or Whitetail. I've hunted it for many years looking for elk. In all those years I have not seen a lot of deer. There are deer in there but not enough to make hunting them worthwhile and a lot of those years were before the wolves got in there. Now with the wolves there are even fewer animals, deer or elk.

nvbones,
I honestly would not recommend any of the panhandle units. Yes there are deer up here and people kill some nice ones every year, but you just will not see a lot of deer on a daily basis. I've killed some nice ones myself, I've got 5 whitetail mounts hanging in my house. Not huge, 130-140 point bucks, but nice bucks. But you know what, they've all come from different spots and I've been back to all those spots just about every year for 25 years and I've never seen another buck in any of those spots. It's a total crap shoot, I've just been persistent and I've gotten lucky from time to time and I have not even seen a decent buck in many years. It's thick too, reminds me of Vietnam. I generally put in for hunts in southern Idaho. At least down there you at least usually see deer each day. When I don't get a southern tag, I do hunt up here, but it gets less and less fun each year.

Thanks for the info, the reason i ask is im fixin to move to post falls. Im currently in lewiston and have had a great archery season although not successful. I have been on some good muleys and had a close call with a bomber whitetail, it was too dark and about 15 yds too far for me to shoot. I have hunted the emida area and clarkia area and i feel that you pretty much nailed it on the head. My dad spends 10 days in elk camp outta clarkia and 2 years ago killed a 4 point whitey just shy of 130. He said every year they see a couple of good muleys up there but nobody buys general tags. Thanks for the info.

Went scouting in 6 last weekend. Looked promising to say the least. Lots of tracks and sign. No sightings of deer but did see a good bull moose. Under 40 inches wide but great tine length.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom