unit 56 youth doe/fawn question

gburk

hey all, my sons have youth doe antelope tags in 56 coming up next month - question, should i be working to secure some private access, or do we have a reasonable chance at finding some on state land? Looks like there's a fair bit of accessible state land, and we won't need to look at more than about two antelope to find a couple we like... thanks!!

We usually buy a private land owner antelope tag however the property owner did not get any tags this year because the antelope numbers are dangerously low this year. I haven’t heard or talked to anyone that hunted the first hunts and if they saw lower numbers than years before. Either way the land owners in that part of the state don’t allow hunting with out a fee.

I appreciate the response. I don’t mind paying a reasonable fee. That’s the first I’d heard about low numbers, every time we drive through there we see tons of em on private.
I suppose our backup plan would be to bail on these tags and go up to Wyoming for the general elk rifle opener… if the antelope numbers are bad enough I’d consider that. Otherwise planning to do this hunt and then head to Wyoming a few days late.

I’ll call the biologist and see what he has to say about it. Thanks again.

In my experience, unlimited private land tags have really wiped out pronghorn numbers in NE units where there is a lot of checkerboard private and smaller private ranches. I think large ranches may elect to manage their own herds for trophy quality reasonable quantity because they can make $$$, but smaller properties are more driven to make $ while they can by selling tags, because if they don't their neighbor will, so it has resulted in WAY too many pronghorn being killed. I won't name the units, but a couple in the NE that I've hunted off and on over the past handful of years we used to see 50+ bucks in a weekend of scouting; most recently we couldn't even find 50+ pronghorn of either sex in a weekend of scouting...

In my experience, unlimited private land tags have really wiped out pronghorn numbers in NE units where there is a lot of checkerboard private and smaller private ranches. I think large ranches may elect to manage their own herds for trophy quality reasonable quantity because they can make $$$, but smaller properties are more driven to make $ while they can by selling tags, because if they don't their neighbor will, so it has resulted in WAY too many pronghorn being killed. I won't name the units, but a couple in the NE that I've hunted off and on over the past handful of years we used to see 50+ bucks in a weekend of scouting; most recently we couldn't even find 50+ pronghorn of either sex in a weekend of scouting...
I agree 100% down in the SE. The old system of getting assigned a ranch wasn't perfect from a hunting perspective but was way better for management of a population as a whole.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom