Unit 51 archery elk ?

4X4corners

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 10:47?PM (MST)

new guy here. Been reading a while, and got some good info. (and lots of nice pics!) I have hunted 52 archery elk a few times, and decided to try something new and got a 51 second season archery tag. Not looking for any specific info, I know how hard that is to come by. Just a few pointers. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Heading over there on Wed. to start the scouting for the season. Might be able to get in some fishing too!

The problem with Cebolla to Trout Lakes is crowds. Its beautiful country with decent elk numbers. Problem is every time I've hunted it, (8 or 9 times I believe) it is also where most of the hunters are.

I'd look on the northern edge in the section that used to be part of 52. On the Eastern side, Fillipito canyon has some nice bulls and Magote Peak always holds good elk.

Good luck. Its a fun unit. Trophy quality is poor, mostly skinny horned bulls. However, you never know what you might run into and if you get off the roads even a little, you will hear and find elk.

Thanks for the pointers. Now I have some places to start. I'm fairly new to the area, from the southern part of the state. I know my wat around 30, 34, and 36 pretty well. Be glad to help out if I can.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom