unit 49 general

J

jswilliams

This will be my first time hunting in Idaho and I have picked unit 49. I have talked a lot to the biololgist and have decided to try up Muldoon canyon road between Thompson creek and mormon hill. I am trying to stay away from the majority of people who hunt little wood and fish creek. Do you guys think this is a wise choice or should I try somewhere else. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

If your looking to get away from people, heading out muldoon is not going to do it. A ton of people from Bellevue and Hailey, (and dudes from Twin Falls) hunt out there. Personally, I think north of Carey gets a lot less pressure.

Less pressure is what I want but I was told by a local that the southern part of unit 49 gets hit pretty hard. Just trying to narrow my search down so when I scout this summer I only have a few areas to check. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-12 AT 01:27PM (MST)[p]that Peavy Ranch area gets, or use to, get hit pretty hard. i think that is the muldoon area isnt it? the area just above the little res north of Carey. cant remember its been a while.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

Muldoon gets pounded by road hunters. people from twin FLOCK to 48 and 49 for the general seasons...some do get out of their cars also. . i would look elsewhere if your willing and wanting to get away from the crowds

find the most difficult area to access and you will see fewer people. a lot of horse people to hunt high in 49 though too. something to consider.

I plan on hiking in 3 to 5 miles so I dont care so much about road hunters because they rarely leave their rigs. I just want to be able to see animals and from the sounds of it there must be a lot if that many people hunt it. If anybody has any other areas they would suggest I am down for anything.

Did you just move here or are you traveling from somewhere?

"Suck it, terrorists," -Keith Stone

My suggestion is to scout the unit in the summer,you should'nt have any problem finding game if you put in the effort,especially hiking 3-5 miles from any road. Good luck!

I live in Washington and already have one scouting trip planned. Any wolves in that area? Would it be worth it to buy a tag?

I would buy a wolf tag,that area has filled it's quota of 25 . So far for the entire state we have killed around 370,and the season closes on March 31st.

I live in this hunt area, Some things to remember, it's mostly private land from Little Wood Reservoir to the Forest Boundary south of Garfield Ranger Station. There is one piece that is in Access Yes! and they only allow foot or horse travel only. The largest piece of land between Thompson Cr and Mormon Hill is private and posted. Animal quality has drastically deteriorated in the last 15 years, there are very few decent 4 pointers around. I can think of better areas to pick than 49. The local outfitter works the Mormon Hill area pretty hard and if there is a decent deer around, he usually gets his dudes on it pretty quick. There are some deer in the unit, even a few decent ones, but it is tough hunting to get into them or even find them.

Bowtie is right and there are LOTS of people.

Three miles is no where close to far enough to be away from them.....as was said, there will be lots of horses. There are lots of deer......but the bucks have been "picked over" mightily.

Lots of wolves.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom