unit 45 DOE HUNT

OLDHORNHUNTER

Very Active Member
so F&G are trying to strike again..45 had some big burns in it this year as well as last year..but I still saw alot of deer the few times I was down there horn hunting this spring..I did see a few carcasses but having not been there when they were killed I cant draw the conclussion that they starved to death or were killed by yotes lions or wolves or may have just been their time to die...I spoke with a game warden on the 25th of October out of the Jerome office & he told me the Einsteins were planning on a December hunt for up to 500 does in unit 45 it was a DONE deal unless the commission did not pass it..& he said it was pretty much a sure thing !!! now I ask WHY would u have a hunt to kill does in December before winter is really even here ??? & also how many of these does that they want to kill were breed during the rut???? F&G have NO interest in rebuilding our deer herds ..

The hunt is in the Blair fire area of 2011. 40,000 acres of winter range grasses and other foliage are pretty much gone. Not sure how the sage help up against the fire. F&G, along with BLM, feel that there isn't enough vegetation to support the winter herds in this area. Seems logical to me.

I'm putting in for a tag.

I wonder what will do more damage, the lack of feed from the burn, or the 500 tag holders chasing the deer around?

The draw is already open. I figure since I'm bow hunting right now just gonna put my dad in since he didn't tag out this year

Just another big f-up by the F&G.........Does anyone remember what happened to the deer herd in 32 in the late 80's after the F&G panic??? The unit nor 32A has ever come close to being the same! These does will be coming out of 39,43,44,48 and wherever else and how long would this many does taken out affect the herd's? Just how many fawns lost for how many years?? yes NOBODY wants to see the deer starve!! Maybe with the tag and gas money spent for these tag's how many bags of pellets can be bought if it EVER came to that? there's been a pretty good fall green up going that can support the deer for sometime....and I'm sure the deer will adjust wintering area some and it's not so much the winter as the late Feb and March rains and severe cold that are the big killer's of the game......... Sure this could be a bad situation but an over reaction could be much worse than the real numbers that may be lost. Lets wait awhile and see how the winter is going?? Just seem's like a little knee jerk reaction from the F&G.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-11 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]Please post how you apply. I may buy/apply for a tag if it is an Extra deer as I have already gotten my deer this year and if I can get home during that time I'll look at the veg myself and make a decision. I'm by no means a biologist but common since should be able to tell once the cold hits.

We have a hundred plus people ready that are all going to apply for the tags, just to turn them in at the next commissioner meeting! Hopefully, by the time the application period ends we have more than 200 people willing to join us in our effort to save a few deer. I had 3000.00 dollars I was going to donate to help feed them, but the fish and game doesn't want to take on the expense. It is easier for them to turn a depredation hunt into a controlled hunt so they can make some revenue. This is one of the dumbest things they have done since supporting the wolf reintroduction!

Where do we apply everyone in my group would apply...heck we didnt even buy deer tag's this year...my 12 year old said herself I'd rather not go shoot a deer, there's not hardly any already! Sportsman need to raise heck over this...

The first controlled hunt will occur December 1 - 14, while the second will occur December 20-31. Each hunt will have 250 tags for antlerless deer only. These tags represent an extra deer hunting opportunity; hunters who already hunted or harvested this fall are eligible to apply for these hunts.

Interested hunters will need to apply by November 18 at any Fish and Game license vendor, by calling 1-800-55HUNT5, or on the Internet at https://id.outdoorcentral.us/

buy them all hunters need to protect this herd think if all the genes going to be lost from does already bred.

You know its all about the money. Its just one way for them to recoup some of the money they lost this year from all the non-res tags that didn't get sold. This is not the first time i have seen this type of hunt i just wonder why only does i guess bucks don't starve to death. And Elk and antelope use the same winter ranges.

THE FISH AND GAME ARE NOT TRYING TO REBUILD OUR BIG GAME HERDS.

THE FISH AND GAME IMPROVE THERE BUCK TO DOE RATIO BY KILLING THE ANTLERLESS.

WE DO NOT HAVE AN OVER POPULATION OF MULE DEER IN THIS STATE. MOST UNITS IN THE STATE OF IDAHO HAVE ABOUT HALF THE MULE DEER THEY SHOULD HAVE . IT'S JUST A SHELL OF WHAT IT ONCE WAS.

THIS DOE HUNT IN 45 WILL EFFECT ALL THE UNITS THAT SURROUND IT. THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA.

NOW IS THE TIME TO REBUILD OUR BIG GAME HERDS !!!

I HEARD THAT FISH AND GAME WAS ALSO USING THE FARMERS AND RANCHERS IN UNIT 45 AS THE REASON FOR THE REMOVAL. THEY WHERE SAYING THE FARMER DID NOT WANT THE EXTRA DEER ON THERE PROPERTY. THIS WAS NOT ABOUT THE DEER DYING FROM NO GROCERIES, BUT MORE ABOUT THE DEER MOVING ON TO THE FARMER\RANCHERS PROPERTY FOR THE WINTER. I AM CALLING B. S. ON THIS. EVERY TIME I TALK WITH A LANDOWNER ABOUT BIG GAME HERDS ( THAT IS WINTER RELATED )THEY ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO HELP GET THOSE ANIMALS THROUGH THE WINTER.
EAST OF IDAHO FALLS LAST WINTER WE HAD A LARGE HERD OF ELK DOWN ON PRIVATE GROUND . THE FISH AND GAME WANTED PERMISSION TO TRESPASS AND PUSH THE ELK BACK . THE LANDOWNERS REFUSED TO GIVE PERMISSION AND SAID THE ELK WHERE A WELCOME SIGHT AND THAT THEY WHERE NOT HURTING ANYTHING.

SOME HOW WE NEED TO GET ORGANIZED AND BECOME ONE VOICE AND THEN GET THESE FISH AND GAME HIGHER UPS OUT OF OFFICE AND GET SOME FOLKS IN THERE THAT ARE ON THE SAME PAGE. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!

STOP HARVESTING THE ANIMAL THAT MAKES THE BABIES !!!

IF WE NEED TO FEED SOME DEER FROM TIME TO TIME THEN LET'S GET TO FEEDING.

IF WE NEED TO BUILD A HIGH FENCE ALONG CERTAIN HIGHWAYS TO PROTECT BIG GAME FROM AUTOMOBILES , THEN LET'S GET TO BUILDING.

ADD A COUPLE DOLLARS TO MY TAG AND LICENSE FEE FOR A SPECIFIC PROJECT LIKE FENCE, FEED , AGGRESIVE PREDATOR CONTROL , WATER GUZZLERS AND HABITAT IMPROVEMENT.

STOP WHACKING THE FORKY AND THE ANTLERLESS AND IN JUST A SHORT TIME YOU WILL HAVE DOUBLED YOUR HERD AND PUT SOME AGE ON YOUR IDAHO MULE DEER BUCKS.

I agree with the hunt, these Deer both does and bucks have no idea that they are migrating to barren land, they will die regardless if there is a hunt or not. The habitat can no longer support the number of animals it did last year. The pregnant does will be the first to die because they have higher nutrition requirements. More deer will die by not having the hunt, due to overpopulation and limited forage.

I agree this is a quick way to increase the buck to doe ratio, which will look good on paper next year......however the population will still be decreased significantly.

I don't agree with farming big game animals by supplemental feeding, it gives the predators a big advantage. This then leads to more of the healthy and strong deer getting preyed upon, instead of just the weak animals. Supplemental Feeding will lead to the deer being concentrated like livestock and the wolves will clean house. Good way to fill a wolf tag though!

Im trying to apply online, but can't find a hunt number. Anyone have a hunt number to apply online?

THE UNIT IS NOT OVER POPULATED.

THE WOLF AND THE LION PREY ON ANY CONDITION OF ANIMAL, THEY ARE NOT PREJUDICE. THE HEALTHY , THE OLD , THE YOUNG , THE SICK ,,,IT DOES NOT MATTER. THE KILLING OF ONLY THE SICK AND OLD IS A MYTH !!! ( THE STUFF YELLOWSTONE DOCUMENTARY'S ARE MADE OF )

THE FEEDING OF ANIMALS DURING A BAD WINTER IS SUCCESSFUL IN OTHER STATES THAT SURROUND US AND CAN BE A VERY GOOD TOOL FOR IDAHO TO GET THERE HERDS THROUGH A TOUGH TIME. WE NEED TO STOP LISTENING TO THE FISH AND GAME AND START LOOKING FOR OURSELVES AT WHATS REALLY GOING ON.

I GUARANTEE THERE IS NOT AN OVER POPULATION OF MULE DEER IN ANY UNIT IN IDAHO. THE MULE DEER HAVE BEEN IN DECLINE SINCE THE MID 90s STATE WIDE. HOWEVER IF YOU LISTEN TO THE FISH AND GAME THEY SAY THEY ARE MEETING ALL POPULATION PROJECTIONS IN MOST UNITS. THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE CROCK !!!! THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR OUR ELK AND MOOSE !!!

THE FISH AND GAME ARE PEEING DOWN YOUR BACK AND THEN THERE TELLING YOU IT'S RAINING.

This is unbelieveable!! It was retarded when they did this in unit 32 in the 90's why would they consider this again.

The entire south boundary of this fire is agriculture. The deer will all end up there once they realize their traditional winter range has no groceries. I heard some farmers were going to leave their last cut of hay for the deer. Wonder if the F&G considered that for a survival plan before they came up with this slaughter hunt.

I agree with lowlandmulies we need to put in for these tags and
burn them. Whoever thinks this hunt is a good thing is retarded
killing 500 does on the winter range will not save 1 deer from starving but the presence of hunters on the winter range will have a 2 fold effect on these deer .They will either make it or not .we as hunters need to do everything possible to help save this great herd (I still want a chance to go on a muzzy hunt here one day)

IDAHO FISH AND GAME = JUST WHEN I THINK YOU CANT GET ANY DUMBER YOU GO AND DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS AND TOTALY ... BECOME A COMPLETE RETARD

I am on the winter feeding committee for the Magic valley region. I was at the meeting that discussed what to do with the immense problem that will be coming our way.
We were told that raising the freeway fence was $50,000 dollars a mile if I remember right per side. That wasn't going to happen.

Next we were told that feeding would not work. We were told that to effectively feed the deer through the winter we would have to start like NOW and feed continuously through spring since that is when most of the mortality happens.
The cost of that would be astronomical we were told. The rations that they feed are a grain based pellet instead of a hay based pellet. SO what ended up happening is one of the guys in the group said well with what we are told we need to just sit back and see what happens. I said NO. I told them we could not allow thousands of deer to enter the freeway to kill humans and deer.

We discussed baiting the deer on the edge of the burn on the north end. To try to bait them away from making a run for the south end across the burn. That was the plan the last I knew. I have been sure for months and I even wrote that this hunt was coming. I told the others on the committee that when this all boils down people are going to ask why don't we feed? Our region has not ran a official feed station for over 20 years we were told. I told them "people are going to ASK if you are not going to feed because of cost where has the money went that the F&G gets from our tags for winter feeding?" When I told them that the reply was they use most of that money for habitat. I said that is a great use but people don't know that. I was also told that the F&G has given the farmers in this impact zone $50,000 of winter wheat seed to plant this fall.

We also talked about lowering the freeway speed limit. We also instructed them as a committee to order a couple of tons of deer pellets. If I remember right the idea was to use them if and when they cross old highway 30. We would try to bait them back to the north side of highway 30. One of the items that was discussed was the F&G can not feed on BLM land. We were told that it would take impact studies and all kinds of other hoops to jump through.
We were also told that several land owners are going to feed up higher to try to keep them from going to the freeway. The F&G opposes this plan.

We were also told that we were going to have another meeting the first two weeks of Dec to discuss how things are going and to have a tour of the area. I hope that I am able to work it out to be there for that meeting.

I am in the frame of mind that the deer won't make a run for it across the burn. It is too long and wide. There is no cover or vegetation so once the deer are out of cover they will go back to cover in my opinion. In my mind the deer are going to follow the edge of the burn and come down to a slightly different area of the winter range. This I was told will put them into standing corn fields and other crops. I would have been on board with some tags. Like 5 tags on the west side of King Hill creek and 5 on the east side. When and IF deer are spotted in the burn, those tags would be open for 1 week and the next hunt would start the following week. Those hunts would only be allowed if your feet are in the burned area and the deer drops in the black.

As a committee member I was not informed of the 500 permits that I remember, but like I said I was sure it would happen but not 500. I also can be quoted saying " If we allow the collapse of unit 45 and all the deer in it the F&G will catch hell" I also told them that if they think the non-residents left the last two years that will be nothing. If we allow the total collapse of unit 45 deer hunting for the north end magic valley region will be devastated.

I know there are F&G guys from the magic valley region that monitor this site you know who you are. Please come out of the closet enter the discussion with more info and detail.
I know I sat there in that meeting with a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am sure that the guys in the F&G office feel the same way. Most of them like to hunt too. There is big trouble heading our way and no one seems to know exactly how anything will be handled.
Ron

YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT ON !!!! THAT GROUND HAS GOT A FAIR AMOUNT OF FALL GREEN UP AS WELL. THE FARMER\RANCHER WILL DO WHAT THEY CAN TO HELP THE DEER GET THROUGH THE WINTER AND I AM SURE THE FISH AND GAME WILL THREATEN THEM WITH FINES AND JAIL TIME FOR FEEDING THEM. THAT IS HOW THEY ROLL !!! THE FISH AND GAME MAKE ME WANT TO VOMIT.

NOW IS THE TIME TO START REBUILDING OUR BIG GAME HERDS !!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-11 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]What are the chances that the winter is mild enough that the deer don't have to migrate to the burn?

This is a tough issue for the fish and game to handle. Its hard for most of us to stomach the though of a winter range hunt with 500 antlerless tags. It sounds like a no win situation; if they call off the hunt there will more than likely be a major die off and they will get blamed for poor management.

Also, how come only antler-less permits are being considered and not a small percentage of antlered permits as well? Do only Does winter in the burn area....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-11 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]I am not for a depredation buck hunt my self. Ya they eat the same vittles but a mature buck is hard enough to grow as it is. We need the bucks. If they added bucks to this hunt I would picket the office to have it closed. Ron

Yea that's understandable....I wouldn't be for it either, was just curious. In fact I think all the late hunts could benefit from a reduction in the tags for a while.

THE WIN WIN SITUATION IS STOP ALL ANTLERLESS HUNTS AND FEED THE DEER IF THEY NEED HELP. WE NEED EVERY FEMALE DEER IN HER BREEDING PRIME AND WE NEED HER OFFSPRING .

THE FISH AND GAME ARE ON THE VERGE OF DESTROYING ANOTHER GREAT MULE DEER AREA.

THE ANTLERLESS DEER ARE THE TARGET, WHEN YOUR TRYING TO REDUCE THE POPULATION FOR THE LONG TERM THE ANTLERLESS HARVEST IS THE FASTEST WAY TO ACHEIVE THE GOAL.

IN THE STATE OF IDAHO, ENEMY #1 IS THE WOLF , THIS ANIMAL HAS DONE DAMAGE TO OUR BIG GAME HERDS THAT WILL TAKE YEARS TO RECOVER FROM. ENEMY #2 IS THE FISH AND GAME , THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO REBUILD OUR BIG GAME HERDS.

if we have a tough winter it will most likely be a big hit to the herd but I think it will be 10 times worse with the hunt because even with the most respectful hunters the deer will be on the move to avoid human contact which will cause more starving.

The Wolf is by all means a game changer, that's why I think supplemental feeding will not work in this case, not to mention the cost and logistics it would entail as Idahoron just educated us on.
Most other states don't have the Wolf issue to contend with, so it may be a viable option in other states. I think Utah or Colorado did an emergency supplemental feeding in recent years; I'm curious how that turned out and where they got the funding?

Isn't this an isolated incident? In which case the goal is to reduce the population in the short term.

If there is a lack of winter forage it doesn't matter how many pregnant Does are in the population, most of them will die by spring anyways. I would much rather see hunters get the meat than have a bumper crop of Wolves next year.

Rizzy-

This is where you have it all wrong. You can't just assume that your going to have a major winterkill. Deer are animals, they are survivors, you gotta give them a chance. We had a late, wet spring, which allowed for a lot of grass's to grow and stay healthy throughout the year. I went on three, week long backcountry hunts this year and didn't pack but one bag of grain per trip for an entire string of horses. As a matter of fact I was 12 miles deep in the sawtooths through early November and still lots and lots of grass's. Hobbled the horses and they grazed the entire time, no problems. Unless we get some major snow, the animals will adapt, that's what they do. Now I do understand that wintering grounds can be different, usually low, drier, less foliage, but hell 500 tags. There are no excuses for that, none. You'd be surprised at what deer can live on. Just to throw this out there, what if we have a mild winter, little snow, warmer than avg. temps? Fish and Game wants to decimate 500 does+un-borns in one of the last premier units this state has to offer. I just want to know who the knucklehead is who decided "hey I got an idea, lets have a 500 tag doe hunt in DECEMBER in our absolute best unit in the state." IDIOT!

Remember this is a controlled unit anyways. The lack of deer this may cause wont hurt most of us anyways. Just draw hunt hunters. If this was a general unit I would be very angry as there isn't that many deer to begin with in those areas. I was in unit 44 and 45 this year and there were deer everywhere. Maybe the game biologist have a valid reason for this hunt. Would rather see them taken by hunters than starve to death and go to waste.

There are a lot of deer that come from 43 and and I believe some from 39 ! I think we need to address this as 1 big deer herd in the winter not by draw hunt or by open hunt these deer come from all over they all need to be treated the same.

Remember alot of these deer come out of 43,44,339 etc they are not just local deer ....There's alot of winter feeding experience from Region 3.... You have to give the deer a chance for one....where was all the snow and big storm we were suppose to get this weekend??? Didnt happen, so lets see what the winter brings..first!! F&G are full of it...got tired of trying to work with them years ago in Region 3 on feeding issues or anything else. The news needs to get word about this DHI and some other groups need to be told,involved and hunters concerns voiced in the media... oh do you really think packs of wolves are going to come down and kill,kill,kill come on..deer's worst enemy coming in December is F&G and man running all over heck. 500 tag holders running around will put more stress the anything will in Dec. and Jan. on the deer.

guys wanting to apply that keep asking for hunt number you read my first post on this it has a phone number to call through F&G that you can apply through

Called the number, can't apply without a hunt number. Can't apply online without a hunt number. Simply can't apply without calling the Magic Valley Office I guess and get a hunt number.

DOES THE MULE DEER FOUNDATION HAVE ANY PULL WITH THE FISH AND GAME.

WHAT IS THE OPINION OF THE MDF STRENGTH ?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-11 AT 03:18PM (MST)[p]Jetsled,

It kinda sounds like you haven't read thru the whole discussion. I was talking about an isolated die-off in a recent burn area, not the normal winterkill in general.

Yes, the wintering ground in question and the Sawtooths are apples and oranges. Deer and Horses are also apples and oranges, grass makes up a very small to zero percentage of a deers diet from fall to spring. Deer only utilize grass as a food source when it first comes up in the spring.....now we are both of topic

I was thinking maybe we would get lucky and have a very mild winter also. Perhaps the deer would not have to migrate down so far this winter. This may not be feasible though; I have not been to the burn area and don't know the extents of it. Maybe someone that has can chime in on the feasibility of this? It might be worth the gamble.

BTW, there looks to be 2 separate hunts of 250 tags each, not one hunt with 500 tags.

I live about a mile from the burn that has F&G so worried.From what ive witnesssed so far this year the number of deer that are normally around this time of year are way down from most years.Ive also noticed that alot of areas that traditionally dont hold alot of winter deer seem to have alot more deer in them already.It seems to me that the deer found places to go on their own which would make sense to all of us normal thinkers.The deer that migrate to or live in this burnt area are going to find places where they feel safe and have everything they need to survive so we need to give them a chance to do it on their own.If they do come close to the freeway,which seems to be F&Gs major factor for this hunt,than they should let out depredation tags how I always thought they were supposed to be done, on a first come first served basis.If they absolutly need to be killed than do it as needed,but I geuss that takes common sense.F&G obviously have none of that.We need to find out everyone involved who decided to have this hunt and demand they be replaced with people that at least have common sense and care about OUR deer herds.//ck Idaho F&G and anyone who agrees with them on this issue!

Do any of you guys remember what happend to nevadas once largest deer herd?Area 6 in nevada had a realy bad fire year on the winter grounds way bigger then whats going on in your idaho area.
The fish and game didnt do anything that I know of the first time it happen, and from what I remember they lost half the herd some where near 15000 deer,all starved made hunters and everybody sick the deer were trying to eat greend up cheat grass with no luck,no big sage to hide in to get out of the wind so they froze and starved.
In 2006 I had a area 6 tag saw pleanty of deer in some areas and other good looking ares had no deer at all,But while I was out there the fires came back again and burned another million acres or so.This time the fish and game did just what Idaho is doing but they gave out 2000 doe tags and they allso from what I heard called everyone that applied for antelope tags for the area and didnt draw and offerd them a tag for the area.
I dont remember hearing one person complain about them giving out the 2000 tags after what the people saw out there the first time ,with all the deer dying from starvation and the elements and going to waste.

If we have a bad bad winter killing 500 does won't help anyway.

If they insist on this hunt it should not start until we get an indication of the weather. If there are standing corn fields then buy the corn from the farmer and let the deer have at it. In fact, if its grain corn, let them combine it and leave the stubble, the deer would be fine.

Funny someone mentioned winter wheat being bought by F&G for the farmers, the F&G has been a supporter of CRP for so long.....

If it does come to a depredation hunt, then allowing "any" antlerless deer to be killed is stupid. The fawns, which will be the first to die, should be targeted. Then, old dry does should be targeted. As far as I am concerned, it would be better to shoot a few bucks next then start shooting preg does.

I realize there is a time to cull your herd to match your winter resources, but a 500 tag free for all will not lead to a healthy herd.

I think I will try for a tag and burn it also.

The hunt numbers are 1127 and 1128
1127 is the early one 12/01-12/14
1128 is the later one 12/20-12/31

You can apply on-line, just make sure you select controlled hunt apps not "leftover tags" and make sure you select 2011 as the year because 2012 is an option. Then click on "1" for the number of applicants and confirm your lic# and your done. Oh and they charge like $3 to run it on-line and I believe over the phone as well. If you go to a vendor its only $6.25.

Since the later hunt will be the most damaging to the herd; if you are applying with the intention of eating the tag you should apply for 1128.

Thanks to all you guys out there who are willing to spend $25 (app+tag) to save a deer or two or three.

I just want to point out something in regards to this hunt, ( first of all i agree with most points made here, I am also torn on applying to use the tag to fill my freezer or applying to eat the tag) having said that most late archery hunts ( like the one on in Unit 39 currently) are either sex hunts. I know most everyone is looking to tag a buck but a large amount of does are taken as well every year. I am sure they are also bred or were in line to be bred this late fall. I dont personally agree with the stance taken on this hunt by F&G to issue out 500 doe tags, I just want to make sure we are all keeping it in perspective while we get passionate about the issue at hand. just my 2 cents on the matter. Thank you.

UNIT 39 IS GETTING HAMMERED BY ANTLERLESS HUNTS EVERY YEAR. 1000 + TAGS THIS YEAR AND LAST YEAR IT WAS 1200 +....COMMON SENSE SAYS WHEN THE HERD IS DOWN YOU SHOULD BACK OFF, ON THE ANTLERLESS TAGS. SOME FOLKS SAY THAT THE HERD IS WAY BELOW HALF, OF WHAT WAS NORMAL FOR THIS UNIT .

The hunt area for 45 will be from the bennit road to the hill city road. It will exclude the Camas cr drainage. Dempsy medows is open for the slaughter. Ron

Transplant them to unit 75. Plenty of winter range and could use some of that gnarly unit 45 genetics down this way

I guess normally I might have a moment of hesitation about trying to get one of these tags however I have a handicapped father that is advised by his doctor to eat game meat due to its very high protein and iron content, we are applying and we'll pursue deer if we draw (something he hasn't been able to do in a reasonable manner for some time). I have been giving him some of my deer meat and some of my elk for years. I'd rather see him benefit than see them laying beside the roads dead from being hit or starved due to lack of food.

Your father is someone who I believe could benefit from this tag.I also think that it should be for youth hunters but it should be implemented only as needed.Nobody even knows whats going to happen but F&G has already predicted the future.Its just a chance for more money.If there going to have it they should make it for deer on the burn and anything south of Hwy.30.Making it from Bennet Rd. to Hill City Rd. is ridiculous.Overeducated IDIOTS.

>The hunt numbers are 1127 and
>1128
>1127 is the early one 12/01-12/14
>
>1128 is the later one 12/20-12/31
>
>
>You can apply on-line, just make
>sure you select controlled hunt
>apps not "leftover tags" and
>make sure you select 2011
>as the year because 2012
>is an option. Then
>click on "1" for the
>number of applicants and confirm
>your lic# and your done.
> Oh and they charge
>like $3 to run it
>on-line and I believe over
>the phone as well.
>If you go to a
>vendor its only $6.25.
>
>Since the later hunt will be
>the most damaging to the
>herd; if you are applying
>with the intention of eating
>the tag you should apply
>for 1128.
>
>Thanks to all you guys out
>there who are willing to
>spend $25 (app+tag) to save
>a deer or two or
>three.

The part about applying for the late tag only is incorrect. Either way deer will be shot. Be it early or late. Apply for either one. Late wont make any difference.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-11 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]>The part about applying for the
>late tag only is incorrect.
>Either way deer will be
>shot. Be it early or
>late. Apply for either one.
>Late wont make any difference.
>

I guess I'm confused about what you are saying here.

What I saying is that if you are planning on putting in for this hunt with the intention of sitting on the tag, not hunting; it would be easier on the herd if there were less people on the late hunt. I'm just saying I'd rather see less hunters on the late hunt than on the early hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]Given that the probability that the winter is so mild that we won't have at least normal mortality is so low, I would restrict the take to fawns. Seems strange typing that. The herd will lose at least a third of the fawns in a normal winter and with a herd over 5000 animals or more going into winter, with probably 40% of them fawns, then taking out 500 fawns would not hurt the overall herd and may save some does/bucks for breeding next year. Problem of course is how many people will be too stupid to know the difference between a fawn and doe this time of year, or will want more meat and shoot a doe anyway.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-11
>AT 10:50?PM (MST)

>
>>The part about applying for the
>>late tag only is incorrect.
>>Either way deer will be
>>shot. Be it early or
>>late. Apply for either one.
>>Late wont make any difference.
>>
>
>
>I guess I'm confused about what
>you are saying here.
>
>What I saying is that if
>you are planning on putting
>in for this hunt with
>the intention of sitting on
>the tag, not hunting; it
>would be easier on the
>herd if there were less
>people on the late hunt.
> I'm just saying I'd
>rather see less hunters on
>the late hunt than on
>the early hunt.

What im saying is if people put in for the late tag only, the early tag holders will have the deer on the run and shot up. They will go into the later of the month drained and thinner. Logically for me, eating the early tags and giving them more time to fatten up and settle the unborn fawns makes more sense to me.

It sounds like F&G isn't planning on a 2nd drawing or selling leftover tags for this hunt. So, if you are against this hunt and plan on applying and then sitting on your tag; it sounds like you won't even have to buy the $19.75 tag. So it'll only cost you $6.25 to help.

Remember to put in before this Friday the 18th.
Hunt #1127 and #1128

Maybe someone should consider contacting PETA or HSUS for help on this. They have pioneered this type of tactic and they would probably offer a lot of support in tying up the tags so hunters don't get them.

I love to hunt, I love to eat wild game, I love watching an arrow zip through an animal after a perfectly executed stalk, and I love hunting around Christmas. Therefore, if I am drawn I will most definately be out there trying to fill the tag.

Unless of course someone could tell me a place to go pheasant hunting instead with my dog. Seriously.

Great thread otherwise, but that is my opinion on the situation.

>Maybe someone should consider contacting PETA
>or HSUS for help on
>this. They have pioneered this
>type of tactic and they
>would probably offer a lot
>of support in tying up
>the tags so hunters don't
>get them.

BOO This man offstage. Those are the same a$$holes that tried to ban bear hunting with hounds here in Idaho. A serious statement like that should get someone thrown off the forum. I am sure those orginizations would LOVE to help us out in tying up deer tags along with stopping the wolf hunts and downright banning firearms altogether

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-11 AT 06:53AM (MST)[p]i took it as being sarcastic. people up in arms about a ' legal ' HUNT AUTHORIZED BY THE F & G !! people who are buying tags and burning them or hanging them off their rear view mirror or whatever are using the same practices as peta or hsus. they are trying to interfere with a lawful hunt. just as peta and hsus do. hope i see some of them trying to drive deer or interfere with my hunt if i draw. they will be prosocuted per idaho law.

Just because the F&G authorized it doesn't make it right.
But if you insist on hunting this hunt; please do your best to find an old dry doe.

WHEN COMPARING AN OLD DRY DOE TO A DOE THAT LOST HER FAWNS TO PREDATORS , BUT IS STILL A PRIME BREEDING DOE HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom