Unit 43

Y

YMIINIDAHO

I have not been in this area in quite a while. I wanted to check out a specific spot, and wasn't sure what to expect with all the reports of low deer numbers in this unit. Well I went for a little backpack bow hunt in there for a few days and I have to say there are still some deer left in Idaho. The basin I was in had around 6 or 7 bucks in it with a few does and fawns hanging out. Saw a nice buck about 2 miles away. And just missed low on a big chocolate bear. Not an elk to be had though.

IDFG put radio collars on a ton of deer and elk a few years ago. In 2007 the deer in unit 43 moved into unit 43 by the 3rd of october.
I had a tag in 44 in 2007 and saw a ton of deer but a storm on the 19th cleared them out of the unit. I think that the early migration is the bigger problem. Ron

I agree Ron. I hunted 44 last year also and the storm around the 10th of Oct. moved most of the deer out. Those deer in 43 have a ways to migrate and I know I wouldn't want to get stuck up in that country after a big storm. I think that hunt in 43 is just hitting it right as the animals are staging to head out.

A friend of mine used to hunt a foot of snow in november abover feathervill. Deer used to stay later. Now all it takes is one good snow and they are packing out. That is why the 44 hunt is so early now. Ron

Hey fellas.

I've been hunting 43 the past 3 years and have had mild success while one of my partners (who isn't coming this year) has had good success.

The forecast for the next 10 days looks like it will either get the deer moving to 44 or straight up clear them out of the country. I always get nervous when these early storms hit this country.

Anyone have any info on that storm, or has anyone heard of the deer moving out of the 43/44 country yet?

-Dave

While I agree that migration patterns have changed over the years for some reason. There are still bucks in 43 in later Oct.

I killed a 173" on the 26th in '06. Seen another at least that big a year later. All in the high country. While an early storm may push some deer down.....at least a few come back when milder conditions return imo.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-09 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]I have seen bucks in 44 moving low the end of September in 07, an 08. They didn't go back to the high country, in fact. The opening day in 07 we had hard rain and the 19th we had a big snow. The deer cleared out and didn't go back. The next year the same thing happened. These deer have made this a habit for the last several years and it will continue. While it is possible to see a good one once and a while the population as a whole are moving out early. When this storm hits a lot of deer will move into 44. How long they stay there depends on the weather. Ron

Jake: What elevation were you seeing these deer at after storms had hit? In my experience, they seem to pop up in random locations through the migration areas that I know of, and they all seem to be heading in the same direction.

I would like to see the season open on the 1st of Oct, but that would favor me more than the deer. I really don't know if I'll be going back to 43 after this season. It's been a challenging unit on all fronts, especially the physical challenge of the steep terrain, that's for certain.

-Dave

Just got back from hunting 43 for 7 days. It was a real mess this year for me. I was lucky enough to see a few bucks. My father, who kept up with me in the woods almost all days and performed excellently, didn't even get to see but one spike in a group in 7 days.

The storm had it's usual effect and all of my migration route hunt areas were thin. There also appeared to be a higher than usual amount of hunters doing road hunting and I actually saw a handful out in the woods.

I was stalking a buck I had spotted over a ridge to my east, and backed out to get within shooting range. I had just set myself up for an ambush on him and a hunter, who had seen me and that I had seen earlier about 1/4 mile behind me and slightly to the west, came from behind me (on a ridge just below me) and shot just past me at the buck I was scoping to get a good shot lined up. The hunter just shot as soon as he saw it and had to have known I was after it. I want to believe that this was a rare situation where good sportsmanship failed but something tells me that I should have expected it. I'm pretty sure it was another non-resident hunter. Not a pleasant experience to say the least. He missed and I got flustered and lost my chance to shoot.

The other buck I spotted in the same area just plain caught me in the fog after that rain and the others beat me physically on the steep terrain. The opportunities were extremely rare and I felt lucky to have even seen horns.

I love Idaho, and just about every resident I have ever met has been an absolute pleasure to meet and talk with (including those of you on this board) and even the fish and game officers have been fantastic but I'm going to have to take a break from Idaho for a few years and re-evaluate the state as a place for me to hunt deer. I wish I could move there to have a decent chance at some of the controlled units and really enjoy the land, but I just can't break away from my commitments here in Cali.

-Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom