Unit 42 Antelope

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
I should draw a Unit 42 antelope tag this year and I am seeking input from others who have previously hunted the unit. We hunted unit 90-1 last year and had a great time. I know that Unit 42 is probably a step down from Unit 90-1 but what can I expect? There is a lot of private property in Unit 42 but there is also a large walk-in area and a HMA on the western side of the unit.

What can you tell me about the unit? Will I find huntable goats on the HMA and the walk-in area? Do I need to seek/pay for access on private property? What quality of goats will I see? Should I wait a couple weeks after the opener for the crowds to die down? Should I go early and try with my bow?

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

I hunted the big walk in area about 5 years ago. I hunted late in the year and saw a lot of does and small bucks but no trophy size bucks. I had no trouble filling my tag on a small buck. I did see a few 13 to 14 inch bucks on the private land south of the walk in area. I drew the tag as a leftover license. The area was rolling and had enough terrain so that you could put on short stalks on the antelope wherever I found them. It was not table top flat. I have not been back since. Hopefully this helps a little.

Also, after I killed by antelope the owner of the ranch came along herding some cattle. He was a really nice guy and talked for about half an hour. He said that there was a lot of bucks when the season started but the area had been pounded really hard. I was hunting the second week of October as I was also deer hunting. Again, that was several years ago but it might be better to hunt early in the season.

We hunted 42 last year. We killed antelope on the HMA and public land. My boy killed a buck and doe on the HMA over water with his bow. My wife and daughter killed bucks on public ground on opening day. Opening day of the rifle hunt was unbelievable. There were literally people everywhere on the HMA. We went and hunted public ground but there was still quite a few people. I would never hunt opening day again. The biggest buck we saw on public or HMA was the one my wife killed and it scored 76". We did see some bigger bucks on private ground but I'm not willing to pay to hunt them.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom