unit 40 Elk

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
Well I have been Hunting in unit 54 and 47 with my Super Tag for the past few weeks and after alot of close calls on some monster bulls and could have taken a 330 bull,I just have not been able to seal the deal and so I am leaning towards the early rifle hunt in unit 40 but have no clue where to start hunting there on the 25th Sept. or even have a clue where to park my trailer! any help I can get from you guys would be GREAT. Thanks Joe

I hunted 40 six days last Nov for deer and never saw an elk. However, I did run into a guy while hunting around Rooster Comb Peak who said there were several scattered herds in the area during the early season. He said he thought one bull would go 370. By the time the late deer season opened, everything in the country was blown out. A ranch kid also said there were several nice bulls to the west of Antelope Ridge. That was the only place I saw elk tracks...

They are there. But they are where they are and nowhere else. If you have not scouted the area ahead of time it will take some effort. Couldnt' fine em in 54????

I havent stopped hunting in 54 and 47 yet! just want to be ready just in case I dant seal the deal in those units and I am seeing alots of Elk in those units but most of the big ones have cows now and all them eyes make it tough to close to stick one of them.

I went out their two years ago scouting with a guy that had a super tag. Man we saw some monsters. The key is to be their early find the bull you like and camp on him till opening morning. Now they are bugling their heads off and fighting like crazy. Their are two places their are lots of Elk in that unit.

I have spent time out there hunting deer in 42 quite a bit, I have seen all kinds of sign but never an actual elk. I guess when I draw that tag (like that will ever happen) I will have to get a PM from you-Waterdogs- and find out where the elk are actually at during the season. I love that Antelope Ridge country. Just an amazing basin...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom