Unit 40 Elk Muzzy Hunt

CHWino_1

I'm back home in AZ after an unsuccessful 7 day hunt with Allout Outfitting. The crew at Allout ran a very good camp and worked very hard the entire time. Generally the rut just seemed to be uneven or delayed and hadn't really kicked into gear.

There were 3 hunters in camp and only one filled. He was a celebrity hunter with a cameraman and shot a 358 bull on the evening of the first day.

Once he filled I had two guides working for me most days. These guys were awesome in their knowledge of the area and deciphering what the elk activity was by listening to them.

Most activity was on the private ground. The bull that was killed was called of the private, jumped the fence and was taken at 35 yards. On day 3 we called a three year old 5 point over the fence to within 5 yards. He hung around us for a minute or two within 20-30 yards.

Unfortunately that would be my only opportunity to kill an elk. Most activity was in the early mornings until about 8:00-9:00. We were up at 4:00, out of camp at 4:45 with a 45-90 minute drive to various hunting areas.

There were two things I wasn't prepared for: 1. How thick the oak brush was. I had a heckofa time following my guy in the woods in the predawn light without our headlamps on. We also had numerous bulls willing to play with us that we just couldn't see. 2. Dealing with the 5-6 hours of downtime in the middle of the day. In most all cases we were so far hiked in, and far from camp that it made no sense to return to camp. We'd find a shady spot with soft ground and have lunch and nap. It was hard to pass that much time. The guys didn't want to speak without whispering which made talking frustrating.

The guides think the first and second rifle seasons are going to be huge.
IMG_20240920_170500686_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240919_191226273_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240919_164523377_HDR.jpg

I've heard nothing but awesome things about the Allout crew. But as coloradoboy stated, 40 public is hard as nails. I helped a guy last year archery after I got my bull. He ended up getting a barely legal bull on I think it was the last week of the hunt, he did unguided public land and he was about as deep in public as you can get in 40.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom