Unit 36 on Fire!

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
There's a little discussion about it on the fire watch thread a little bit down the page.

It's mostly contained at 7500 acres in the old burn. I know several people had to move stock out of the path as well as some evacuations.

Thankfully I haven't heard of any houses or loss of life from this one. The last two fires in the area were smaller but not so nice to property.

Seems like it’s mostly getting mopped up now. They got some rain yesterday evening so hopefully that helps, sounds like the team that came in is leaving in a couple days and now it’s clean up and restoring the lines to natural. Going up in a few weeks to do some more scouting

Last edited:
Hope you have a great trip. Take a drive south of Nogal on Nogal Canyon Rd. That was a small fire in 22 but hit those people hard along the road.

I hope to be up there to do a little scouting and hiking in August myself.

Glad to see containment on the Blue2 fire. Some rain this summer will do it great.

Anyone hear how "hot" this fire is/was? I've read that elk will move out during a fire but if it's not burned everything (really hot), they often times move right back in once it's put out.

Not sure how hot but I can’t imagine it being it too terrible since it was in an old burn scar. They got rain on the fire yesterday and today hopefully we get some early monsoons to get stuff greened up.

Anyone hear how "hot" this fire is/was? I've read that elk will move out during a fire but if it's not burned everything (really hot), they often times move right back in once it's put out.
it doesn’t look like it scorched everything like the last fire. Most of the trees look green still. These are picture from around bonito lake posted on the blue 2 fire Facebook page
IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

Wow, that escalated quickly, I didn't like the direction of the smoke yesterday. It went from a few hundred to a few thousand overnight.

Looks like 2 large fires and a 3rd potentially on the res just south and west of Ruidoso; Southfork, Salt and now Penn Scott just west across 70 from the Salt.

Praying for the people of these small towns and all the fire fighters that they may see some quick relief.

This is a bad one, whole town on evacuation , hundreds of houses burnt. It’s amazing that they did save some last night. Hats off to those who worked there asses off last night. A friend saw neighbors house still standing at 7am this morning and it burnt down later int the morning from hot spots. Today is a big day hope they got tankers by the dozens getting on the fire and can get it in check

Any updates this evening ? Sounds like rain may be coming tomorrow- I hope. Unfortunately sounds like a lot of structures have been lost.

Super sad deal, heard two elderly people passed away, arresting people who are looting, 1400 estimate structures have been damaged, 16.2k + acres. Looks like the wind is gonna come from the south east today, hopefully it pushes the southfork into the blue burn and it dies out, hopefully the salt doesn’t get pushed into town with the new winds. What a mess and very sad for how many homes have been lost, my sisters place is about half a mile from the fire line near Alto, her state trooper friend checked on her house and said it was still there. Praying for all effected

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom