Unit 30 Late Elk Hunt

R

rcrosby

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]We hit the lotto and pulled one of the 2nd drawing tags for the late 30 elk hunt.

It was already shaping up to be a great season and this certainly may be the icing on the cake.

Anyone else draw one of these tags this year or in the past?

I used to Live in Salmon Idaho and I have had the Late 30 Elk hunt one time. Killed a 300" 6x6. It can be a very good hunt when the snow comes early. It is after the Montana elk season, which helps because a lot of elk get pushed over into the Idaho side. If there is snow, the elk hang out in the sage and smaller timber pockets. Ramsey MTN., Cow Creek , Wimpey creek are good areas. Hunt above the ranchers fields in the sage.

Thanks Bob! Was that the biggest bull you saw? How many elk were you seeing on an average day? I guess the real question is if you had 10 days during any part of the season to hunt would you go later rather than early?

The bull I shot was not the biggest bull I saw. I ran in to a bachelor heard of 7 bulls where the smallest bull in the heard was probably over 300". I just couldn't get on them before dark. My buddy killed a 347" bull last archery season in unit 30. As far as the number of elk per day goes, if the snow was there, we were seeing 20 bulls a day. If I had ten days to hunt, I would go the last ten days of the season. The only way I would hunt earlier is if they got a lot of snow in October. The elk are always there but the hunting is a lot better with the snow..

I drew that tag about 4 years ago. went on a short "scouting" trip on the opening couple of days. I was only hoping to familiarize myself with the area, as I had scheduled a full week off at the end of the month to really get serious. Of course I had my rifle along- just in case!! Short story even shorter- saw a big pile of elk the first evening, went back the next morning and got a small 6x6. I was plenty tickled, as I am for sure not a seasoned elk hunter. I talked with a gent on the way off the mountain who said he had been trying for 12 years for that tag, and had finally hit the jackpot. He was most gracious, and congratulated me on my success. But he also mentioned that i should have stuck to my original plan. He lived in the area, and said that every day later in the year was a whole new ball game. Ramses Mountain is a really good spot to start looking, lots of access, and easy glassing. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom