unit 28 late archery

T

Trophysearch

just wondering what some of your thoughts may be on this unit, I'm a utah resident just wonder if it's worth the long trip but trying to use my tag to the fullest this year.

I wouldn't waste your time. I've been up there a couple of times and its a pretty tough hunt. A lot of the unit is tough to access because of the river and lack of roads. The river is tough to wade across because it usually has ice on the banks, because it is ridiculously cold up there. One year it was -10 to 0 most of the time and I actually mercy killed a fawn that was frozen to the ice and near death after attempting to swim across the river. She was completely white with frost and was definately there overnight if not two nights, chitty way to go.

Its pretty tough, good luck if you go, bring arctic gear and be careful.

Your non-res tag is good for cougars right? I think you'd make better use of you tag trying to find someone who wants to run some dogs and pick up a wolf tag while you are at it. Just a thought. Idaho has huge cats and plenty of wolves. Maybe we should change it from the Gem state to the predator state.

That's not a bad idea not much of a cat hunter, is that state wide or just in the units open to my archery tag i can't seem to find any info that detailed in the proclamaition

Page 74:

"Nonresident deer tags, excluding Nonresident Junior
Mentored deer tags, are valid to take a black bear or
mountain lion, if a season is open for that species, instead of
a deer where and when the deer tag is valid, and there is an
open deer season in that same unit."

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-09 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]Just got back, all of mule deer we saw on non huntable property.. except for nine does near Salmon, the rest were in the steep mountains where grade is like 60% Same for the elk.. public lands. Elk Bend and little flats down to Ellis where you saw hundred's of deer and elk in past are barren. We did however see ton's of 6-7 inch paw prints everywhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom