Unit 21 3rd rifle

Mike@fulldraw

Just found out my son and I drew 3rd rifle Unit 21 mule deer. Looking forward to spending some quality time with my son. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all!

My son had a 2nd rifle tag for unit 21 a few years ago. We looked over a lot of deer in different places. It was fun, but it took some perseverance to find something that had a bit of maturity. We camped in the city park in Rangely, which worked out nice. I would definitely stay in Rangely, hotel or campground, if I ever hunted the unit. Rangely is a very nice place imo, with descent amenities. I think Rangely is just as good of a place to use as a base as any other place we found on the unit, as the deer migrate toward the north end of the unit. I have enough points to get a 3rd season tag for unit 21, but I’m not sure if that is the really the kind of hunt I want. Some of the negatives we experienced include lots of oil and gas development, lots of deer and elk hunters, hunters shooting from the road toward us when we were in the field, and roads can turn into a horrible mess of sticky greasy mud. We had trouble finding good places to glass and much of the unit is covered by dense juniper forests that are virtually impossible to hunt imo. Some good things were beautiful country, lots of deer, ancient petroglyphs, and we met some nice people (including other hunters). I would not bother trying to scout the unit until the 2nd rifle hunt ends, as this is hunt is heavily dependent on the deer migration beginning around October 15 (when the oak leaves drop).

The bucks should be starting to rut pretty good by the 3rd season. Deer numbers may be a fraction of what they were a few years ago and mature buck numbers are also likely super low due to horrible winterkill 2 seasons ago and poor management by the CPW. As mentioned above, be prepared for an orange army of elk hunters since it is an OTC elk unit. Be prepared to do a lot of looking for the few mature bucks that exist. Unfortunately, the CPW has pounded the older age class bucks with late rut rifle season dates and higher number of deer tags with a declining deer population.

When all is said and done, be sure to fill out your harvest report and add comments in regard to your dis-satisfaction of the number of mature bucks in a limited unit that takes quite a few years to draw. I hope that's not the case with your hunt but definitely keep it in mind. It's pretty sad to see the quality of mature bucks in that corner of Colorado take suck a spiral in quality.

Sorry to paint a poor picture, but I sincerely hope you have a great time hunting gorgeous country with your son. You ought to have a great time fishing the Green!

I'll be there for the MZ deer hunt this fall. I'm eavesdropping on this thread. Only 25 total deer tags, but 175 elk tags. To avoid all the elk hunters, should I just stay off the top (like on the divide) or is that where the deer will be early season?

The bucks should be starting to rut pretty good by the 3rd season. Deer numbers may be a fraction of what they were a few years ago and mature buck numbers are also likely super low due to horrible winterkill 2 seasons ago and poor management by the CPW. As mentioned above, be prepared for an orange army of elk hunters since it is an OTC elk unit. Be prepared to do a lot of looking for the few mature bucks that exist. Unfortunately, the CPW has pounded the older age class bucks with late rut rifle season dates and higher number of deer tags with a declining deer population.

When all is said and done, be sure to fill out your harvest report and add comments in regard to your dis-satisfaction of the number of mature bucks in a limited unit that takes quite a few years to draw. I hope that's not the case with your hunt but definitely keep it in mind. It's pretty sad to see the quality of mature bucks in that corner of Colorado take suck a spiral in quality.

Sorry to paint a poor picture, but I sincerely hope you have a great time hunting gorgeous country with your son. You ought to have a great time fishing the Green!
Thanks for the info. I'm hopeful if we get off the roads we can turn up a good buck. I don't understand the logic of unlimited elk tags in a trophy deer unit. Puts a lot of pressure on the deer and really messes with the hunt.

I’m going with a friend for 3rd season 21 buck tag. I lived in Rangley for 10 years in the 90’s. I know it’s not what it use to be. There are still some good bucks to be had. I keep in contact with some locals. Probably see you out there somewhere. Will be there several days before season.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom