Unfilled Moose tag for Libby, MT area

C

crabcreek

I'm still holding onto an "ANY MOOSE" tag for unit 101-00 Purcell near Libby, Montana. A week spent up Big Creek and Steep Creek during the rut didn't work so I'm praying for snow and fulfillment by November 25th. Do anyof you know of a moose yellow-brick road in that area? I would sure like to fill that tag.

Have you tried networking with the local elk hunters?

I spent 10 days in Unit 100 Yaak a few years ago, and was not able to locate a decent bull. Most of the areas clear-cut a decade ago had grown over, and it was tough to locate any moose in the heavy timber.

In speaking with a number of locals, I was told that a large percentage of the moose killed in that area are taken by locals utilizing a large network of friends and local elk hunters to pass along information on moose sightings.

I did see moose sign, including an area where two bulls must have had a titanic battle... but no big moose. I was not able to return to the Yaak for the late season snow. Good luck.

Thank you for the input and I'm sorry I'm late responding- I had to fill my deer tag before returning to Libby.

The "networking" isn't going so well. I do not specifically know any of the local elk hunters, but I did attempt contacting the Ridge Riders ATV club with zero results. I even offered them to share in the spoils which is what I'd do for anyone who helps me out. No one's talking. Believe it or not, the Caboose Motel (where we'll be staying this trip) has offered more encouragement than anyone. Of course we're camping out with them too.

I have a few more calls to make before checking into that motel this coming Saturday in hopes of obtaining that one all important tip.

As you well know, the trick is to narrow down an area that has had sightings. I drew a Washington moose tag in 1998 and successfully found that to be the case on Mount Spokane.

I guess I'll leave the choice up to the Libbian's: cash for information, or cash for the gas to obtain it myself.

FILLED Moose tag for Libby, MT area

Better than expected. I returned to the previous haunts up Steep Creek and did the scenery ever change! With the larch dropping their needles and the snow illuminating the landscape I could finally peer into a clear cut.

In the 6-days spent combing the area, I saw 9-cows and 14-bulls with Number 14 coming home with me. I'd been staking out a particular clear cut because it met the perfect requirements of feed and held a local abundance of animals. Visibility was good and the longest shot that could possibly occur was about 500-yards. Sounds like a long way, but unless one jumped out on the road in front of you, the shots were apt to be a minimum of 600-yards in all the other clear cuts. Incidentally, two bulls did jump out in the road in front of me! What a sight to behold.

On Friday (11/23) three bulls were butting heads while two cows cheered them on. Time was now on their side with Sunday being the last day so I opted to go for the larger of the trio. The big one got nervous and took off but made the mistake of slowing down for one last look back...and it was his last too. I loosed a 225-grain Barnes X out the spout of my .340 Wby, put it through his ribs and out the heart. One shot at 334-yards.

The most fascinating thing happened next. I couldn't see the animal, but the small evergreens started shaking from something BIG traveling downhill fast. Snow started flying upwards and when things finally settled down I spotted a moose head lying on the ground. It reminded me of scenes from a KING KONG movie clip where the jungle starts getting uprooted but the angry creature doing it can't be seen.

He's 46" across with fair paddles for what I believe is an old, old moose. I'll bet he was something 4-years ago as his bases and beams are quite large. He may have been down to 7-points a side now, but I'm very pleased and have 1/4 of him in the freezer with several hundred pounds yet to go.

I'd post a picture, but the mother board on my new Dell cashed-in before the hunt and I'm awaiting a new installation. I'll do it then. Thank you for the inquiry.

Crabcreek, congrats...i tried to help out but was sending you in the wrong direction...haha...take care and cant wait to see the pics..take care Justin

FILLED Moose tag for Libby, MT area

Thanks all the same Justin. What counts is that you offered to assist. That only comes from a true sportsman. The only problem with being a little too far south was that the game warden might not have approved. As it was though, the local Warden from Eureka offered assistance too when I met him in a wide spot. All in all, it did work out for a happy ending.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom