Unfamiliar NECK OF THE WOODS

C

CAhunterdave

I am an experienced CA hunter that wants to hunt in a different region. I dont want to take the trip to gamble on an area 'I think' is active but I also dont want to overpay to enjoy the woods (so no outfitters).

How have you expanded your hunting grounds to distant places?

or have you stayed in the same area because of the unfamiliarity of other areas?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-15 AT 00:10AM (MST)[p]Well........there are issues.

First, so many States are now downright more difficult getting tags for. Most are draws, which means you're not always able to get a tag in the same area every year, which makes it more difficult to "learn" the area like you could have done 20 years ago. ie: getting a deer tag for the same area in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming is not at all like it once was. This caused because of far more demand for tags than the number of animals in the field, in these States. This has caused a lot of folks to buy landowner tags or hire and outfitter, not because they want to but because it is a more sure way of getting a tag for an area you already know or the outfitter knows.

Montana is currently an anomaly. They're non-resident deer and elk tags are pricy enough they are experiencing left over tags that can be purchased for a few weeks after their draw.

You might be able to get spike only elk tags in Utah, they are first come first serve, they do eventually sell out but if you buy early you could hunt spike elk in the same area, most years. Not deer in Utah. Deer are only available via a draw and not a guarantee by any measure.

Members of our family general hunt somewhere, in some other State, as well as in our home State of Utah, we hunt DYI, generally in a different area than we've hunted in the past, often with considerable stress and effort locating and filling our tag. So, can you DYI, in unknown, un-scouted areas, yes you can, but it certainly is more challenging than hunting your favorite locations in your home State.

I'd suggest you read the hunting forums, build some on-line relationships, start applying for numerous States and take your chances in the draws , or go to Montana, or save up and buy landowner or outfitter tags every two or three years, as your budget allows. Truth is, in many States there are some many folks who are ahead of you in the draw point systems, you may well be money ahead to just ignore the draws and save the application fee expenses and put that money toward the landowner/outfitter tag concept. Landowner tags are not necessarily guided hunts, you buy the tag and DYI on their land or in some cases on public land, as if it was a State tag.

DC

I agree with what 2Lumpy says. It is harder to go to the same place year in and year out. Montana is a very good option though. I'm not as familiar with Colorado but I know guys that go there quite often and don't have to build a lot of points. Do some research on the type of terrain you want to hunt in and go for it. There is no experience for no experience so you just have to do it. Keep putting in for states like New Mexico because your odds are as good as the next guy. It's a numbers game. The more discretionary income you have to apply the better!
I loved the excitement of going to new places to hunt. Everything is new and your senses are on full alert. There will be some homeruns and some strike outs on the places you choose. It is hunting after all but the experience you will remember forever. Enjoy it.

I don't hesitate to go hunt elsewhere. I think I got this attitude when I was younger hunting Idaho. A long season and the tags were good throughout most of the state. I look at numbers and if the success is higher then 20% and there is ample amount of public ground I go for it. I still contact local help, such as Biologist and wardens to make sure the numbers are not messed up by most of the animals residing on private or as I found in Montana once all on a preserve. If you are there when the migration happens then it is a slam dunk. Being a NR that still has a day job that becomes all luck. A lot depends on what you are looking for as far as trophy goes. If trophy quality is first then you should jump into the point game or buy land owner tags. If the experience is it, then there are places all across the west you can hunt each year. If you want a mix then there are tags that can be drawn with one to four points that can be great hunts. I hunt Oregon (because I live here) Idaho and Wyoming each year. I have points going in other states too. I consider myself a mix guy that will chase horns but ultimately I am a meat hunter and want to spend quality time out and about with the family.

Good luck on your choices, DZ

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-15 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]CAhunterdave, Welcome to MonsterMuleys!

I'm a Ca native that's been hunting outa State trips for Muleys going on 40 years now. It's seems to me to be a lot harder to go now than it used to be but that don't mean it's not worth going.

I believe a lot of what you get from a nice outa State hunt depends on what your goals are and what caliber of Buck you expect to get, if you expect to get one at all. If you want a huge trophy buck, the kind that we all dream of, good luck, one would be very lucky indeed, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. You might better set your sights on a mature animal, you'll know.

If you are married and the wife likes to hunt, maybe the best way to go. I'd recommend you going with at least one other person but more is not necessarily better. I made lots of trips by myself, sometime hunted two or more States on a trip. Most trips, i came home empty, not because i didn't see decent bucks, but because i already had two in the freezer from my Cali hunts and i didn't go outa State to shoot lesser than my goals at the time. Those trips where i came home empty, i might have looked over 200 different bucks and very rewarding but i can assure you that it feels great to pass, not even take the safety off, when you don't really need the meat.

Of all the trips i made, with the exception of my Utah hunts, 99% of the time i was made welcome and given all the help that i could ask for. If you do plan a trip, stick to it, go expecting to have fun in the adventure, get yourselves in top shape long before you go, and get your butt up outa bed way early and get back away from the roads before the Sun comes up.

It all certainly can still be done, just one step in front of the other. Good luck!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Don't ya just love it sage?

Hello......

Hellooooo........

Dave?

Are you there.......?

Daaaaaaaaaave............hello.....?

Hmmm.......... must have hung up.

DC

2Lumpy, LOL :) and, so it goes...

Maybe Dave "he Ain't here" might get back to us, or, somebody else with the same kind of question can get a little something from our posts. You never know, i met one of my best buds ever right here talking hunting with the guys...

2Lumpy, you and i are not writing the same book here, we both know that, but you have more than earned my Respect!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

For sure sage. Same back to ya!

I just got tickled, here we are, just pouring our little hearts out....... and the lights are on but nobodies home.

Ah shucks, your right, again, maybe somebody out there in "the shadows" had the same question and got a little something out of it.

Have a restfully evening.

DC

Fellows,

I can vent about my graveyard shifts and vigorous attempts to log in from my phone as to my late response, but then id just have as many excuses when rookie hunter misses a clear shot at a 4x4.

Nonetheless, this is some valuable advice! After reading up, I did some thorough tag searching (elk first, slim to none available, except Montana) and think im going to get a buck tag for my neighboring states (Utah, Idaho). Ill take your advice and look at last years area counts and get input from locals.

Again, sorry for being a late schmuck, thanks for the seasoned advice.

CA, Thanks for checking back with us. I believe that there are still over the counter tags available for Hybrid Deer and Roosevelt Elk in Oregon. I hunted one year in the zone North of Crater Lake, a bit South West of Diamond Lake. I didn't fill my tags but it was a close by, very reasonable on the pocket kinda hunt that was well worth doing.

You might check that out, i hear the Elk in Oregon are doing well.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom