Understanding Privacy

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing...cial-media-tracking-background-checks/127380/

Then scroll down to view a tab related to OPM and Vet's.

I can't (not allowed) say much but; this is basic data.

Last summer even Starline Brass contracted with a marketing company plus sought new membership in Face Book. Everything is fair game for now. Five years ago I had my Friends/Family remove cell phone batteries while "In a Mall" due to data bit tracking, like key strokes, logging a physical history as to which shops a person entered, which display posters they stood in front of or sections on a shop combining all with purchases and, which method of payments.

Ten+ years ago a memo was issued to remove batteries to limit a cell phone from being a Microphone. Even when "OFF" it's possible to activate the mic and listen in & record. If you are disabled and receiving $ under such yet, have been tracked Alligator wrestling in the Congo, you may have a risk...? (Try explaining that to a Social Security or Veterans Board in a closed room).

MM's may be a far safer venue to chat than Face Book or others. We all know every email is kept by ALL ISP's. Plus, every cell, computer, etc...has a denoted assigned user code tied to You, Me, everyone and, whatever ISP is used shows who we are and where we are....Old News, yet to some; New.

I am a neophyte in such Privacy subjects so don't take my post as much more than basic data with no sought $. All Internet matters are there, forever. We have the "Way Back Machine" from U.C. Berkeley to play with. Reminds me of the 1960's cartoon: Tennessee Tuxedo and Finneous J. Whoopy and his way back machine.

I made this post not to upset your day but rather for those interested to encourage our youth, who don't seem to worry, to consider learning about: Understanding Privacy.

Hey Sage & Eel-agronomy, should I ask my Dr to increase my medications :)

Geez, I feel like a person sells his soul when he enters the cyber world.

I don't have a smart phone and no facebook, twitter, etc.

I'm not worried about the government finding out where I visit on the internet though. It's my wife I worry about. :)

I've spread it near and far that I'm not real fond of the Dodgers. That might come back to bite me some day. Bring it! :D

It is physically impossible to eavesdrop let alone ping a phone's location when powered off, period. If they want to track you they use the micro chip implanted into your left testie at birth manny.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I'm hoping somebody someday finds me. Then i'd know where i am...

There's worse people to be kept track of other than me. Then again, at times i'm careful of what i say cause who needs the aggravation of someone knocking on your door for a interview.

I have wondered about the camera lens dead center at the top of my Dell though. Be a neat trick if they could open and record through that 24-7. It would be tuff to do with mine through, all that electrical tape there the way it is.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Sage

I wear Tinfoil on my Head. Then Oratorical Obfuscated Bombastic Chicanery around a Campfire is missed by the Satellites.

Dear 1911; a cell phone is only a Radio and can be used as a Mic, even when off. Trust me Honey.

It's old guys who should educate our Kids. That's one major reason why I made the post. + to hear your humor (or serious feelings)

>Sage
>
>I wear Tinfoil on my Head.
>Then Oratorical Obfuscated Bombastic Chicanery
>around a Campfire is missed
>by the Satellites.
>
>Dear 1911; a cell phone is
>only a Radio and can
>be used as a Mic,
>even when off. Trust me
>Honey.
>
>It's old guys who should educate
>our Kids. That's one major
>reason why I made the
>post. + to hear your
>humor (or serious feelings)

Interesting. In my 16 years of law enforcement I have never been able to ping a phone or eavesdrop with a warrant or exigent circumstances up to and including kidnap victims when the phone is powered off. When it is off ot doesn't and cannot send and receive material to towers. Your logic makes as much sense as saying ones cell phone that is essentially worthless in any wilderness area or Alaskan frontier, can still somehow magically connect to nsa servers.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

PS: Dear 1911; a cell phone is only a Radio and can be used as a Mic, even when off. Trust me Honey.

Now is 2016; It is child's play. I won't be rude yet say I have 40 Years in Law Enforcement and in environments I can't mention. The below is "Old News" and we should tell our Youths; the Internet is not safe.

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.
The technique is called a "roving bug," and was approved by top U.S. Department of Justice officials for use against members of a New York organized crime family who were wary of conventional surveillance techniques such as tailing a suspect or wiretapping him.

Nextel cell phones owned by two alleged mobsters, John Ardito and his attorney Peter Peluso, were used by the FBI to listen in on nearby conversations. The FBI views Ardito as one of the most powerful men in the Genovese family, a major part of the national Mafia.

The surveillance technique came to light in an opinion published this week by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that the "roving bug" was legal because federal wiretapping law is broad enough to permit eavesdropping even of conversations that take place near a suspect's cell phone.

Kaplan's opinion said that the eavesdropping technique "functioned whether the phone was powered on or off." Some handsets can't be fully powered down without removing the battery; for instance, some Nokia models will wake up when turned off if an alarm is set.

It's NOT the NSA or Gov youth should fear/understand. Again, this is simple to do. If you do not know about it, there's a reason.

So this same government that couldn't crack the security on an IPhone 5 could have used it as a microphone even when it was turned off?

Maybe so. My 4 year old grand daughter uses a toy Barbie cell phone to talk to all sorts of people. "Hello Gramma, will you bring me a present?"

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Opening an operating system, especially an Apple, is quite different. Encrypting any system is also different. The eavesdropping is simply exploiting a "Device' hence, a Microphone is built as a hardware Device. It's always going to be; A Microphone. Plus, a cell phone turned off is just sleeping (Different then sleep mode). But we are getting away from the article. The article is just from a Gov topic. Marketing Companies do not live under the freedom of Information Act.

It is the Marketing Companies we should explain to our youth. They grew up in the computer age and have no fears. This was/is my intent in a Post. Do we agree or disagree to teach our kids or, we can't, they know more already...? The latter may be true but Privacy is being lost. Maybe especially in schools where the Cloud is accessed by a child entering their DOB, Name, etc...just to do classwork. Third, Forth, etc...companies have access. But they say; We Take Your Privacy Seriously and have Safeguards. Believe that....? Its all stored information and more detailed, specific, unique, as time and data gathering is stored then a fingerprint. Just let time pass.

>PS: Dear 1911; a cell phone
>is only a Radio and
>can be used as a
>Mic, even when off. Trust
>me Honey.
>
>Now is 2016; It is child's
>play. I won't be rude
>yet say I have 40
>Years in Law Enforcement and
>in environments I can't mention.
>The below is "Old News"
>and we should tell our
>Youths; the Internet is not
>safe.
>
>The FBI appears to have begun
>using a novel form of
>electronic surveillance in criminal investigations:
>remotely activating a mobile phone's
>microphone and using it to
>eavesdrop on nearby conversations.
>The technique is called a "roving
>bug," and was approved by
>top U.S. Department of Justice
>officials for use against members
>of a New York organized
>crime family who were wary
>of conventional surveillance techniques such
>as tailing a suspect or
>wiretapping him.
>
>Nextel cell phones owned by two
>alleged mobsters, John Ardito and
>his attorney Peter Peluso, were
>used by the FBI to
>listen in on nearby conversations.
>The FBI views Ardito as
>one of the most powerful
>men in the Genovese family,
>a major part of the
>national Mafia.
>
>The surveillance technique came to light
>in an opinion published this
>week by U.S. District Judge
>Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that
>the "roving bug" was legal
>because federal wiretapping law is
>broad enough to permit eavesdropping
>even of conversations that take
>place near a suspect's cell
>phone.
>
>Kaplan's opinion said that the eavesdropping
>technique "functioned whether the phone
>was powered on or off."
>Some handsets can't be fully
>powered down without removing the
>battery; for instance, some Nokia
>models will wake up when
>turned off if an alarm
>is set.
>
>It's NOT the NSA or Gov
>youth should fear/understand. Again, this
>is simple to do. If
>you do not know about
>it, there's a reason.

Jager, Unless you are a woman giving me blow jobs, don't call me dear, and don't call me honey. Apparently you missed the show down with the FBI and apple to crack a phone they had in hand?...of course you didn't, you're the guy they used to crack the code w/out the help of apple. Just fasten your tin foil hat and you should be ok. Otherwise, they can read your mind. If you don't understand this there's also a reason.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Ooh HONEY!!!

>>PS: Dear 1911; a cell phone
>>is only a Radio and
>>can be used as a
>>Mic, even when off. Trust
>>me Honey.
>>
>>Now is 2016; It is child's
>>play. I won't be rude
>>yet say I have 40
>>Years in Law Enforcement and
>>in environments I can't mention.
>>The below is "Old News"
>>and we should tell our
>>Youths; the Internet is not
>>safe.
>>
>>The FBI appears to have begun
>>using a novel form of
>>electronic surveillance in criminal investigations:
>>remotely activating a mobile phone's
>>microphone and using it to
>>eavesdrop on nearby conversations.
>>The technique is called a "roving
>>bug," and was approved by
>>top U.S. Department of Justice
>>officials for use against members
>>of a New York organized
>>crime family who were wary
>>of conventional surveillance techniques such
>>as tailing a suspect or
>>wiretapping him.
>>
>>Nextel cell phones owned by two
>>alleged mobsters, John Ardito and
>>his attorney Peter Peluso, were
>>used by the FBI to
>>listen in on nearby conversations.
>>The FBI views Ardito as
>>one of the most powerful
>>men in the Genovese family,
>>a major part of the
>>national Mafia.
>>
>>The surveillance technique came to light
>>in an opinion published this
>>week by U.S. District Judge
>>Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that
>>the "roving bug" was legal
>>because federal wiretapping law is
>>broad enough to permit eavesdropping
>>even of conversations that take
>>place near a suspect's cell
>>phone.
>>
>>Kaplan's opinion said that the eavesdropping
>>technique "functioned whether the phone
>>was powered on or off."
>>Some handsets can't be fully
>>powered down without removing the
>>battery; for instance, some Nokia
>>models will wake up when
>>turned off if an alarm
>>is set.
>>
>>It's NOT the NSA or Gov
>>youth should fear/understand. Again, this
>>is simple to do. If
>>you do not know about
>>it, there's a reason.
>
>Jager, Unless you are a woman
>giving me blow jobs, don't
>call me dear, and don't
>call me honey. Apparently
>you missed the show down
>with the FBI and apple
>to crack a phone they
>had in hand?...of course you
>didn't, you're the guy they
>used to crack the code
>w/out the help of apple.
> Just fasten your tin
>foil hat and you should
>be ok. Otherwise, they
>can read your mind.
>If you don't understand this
>there's also a reason.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

>So this same government that couldn't
>crack the security on an
>IPhone 5 could have used
>it as a microphone even
>when it was turned off?
>
>
>Maybe so. My 4 year old
>grand daughter uses a toy
>Barbie cell phone to talk
>to all sorts of people.
>"Hello Gramma, will you bring
>me a present?"
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

Hey NVB!

The Government can see what you're doing in your own House through your F'N TV!

But I'm Sure You'll be Quick to Discipline me on How it's not really Government Over-Reach!

And That will make everything F'N A-OK!

GEEZUS!

[/font]

>Hunting season can't get here soon
>enough. Wow. mtmuley

Ya!

Well!

Another 4 Months & it'll be better!:D

[/font]

But only 3 months till "the cowboys will win the superbowl" thread! :eek: I read today they drew one of the softest schedules in the league......still won't be enough :D

I never meant to upset you or diminish your intelligence or even, life's experiences. I openly Apologize you 1911.

To everyone else I say, maybe I used the wrong link to discuss our Cyber World insofar as Privacy. The link had a Government foundation yet I was trying to denote "Marketing Companies".

I am able to explain any (Open Public Knowledge Based) aspect I wrote or others wrote, for or against a Technological facet.

I Apologize to others who may have felt this post took on a different life, then venomous in tone. Again, my intent was for our Children and maybe wrongly assuming we, anyone over say age 50, may never have been trained in such. To such end, among our families, we elder Males/Females are to wisdom's for children, Grandchildren, Great Grandchildren and maybe in the history of mankind, we elders hit upon a topic, we are unable to guide safely, our younger family member through....because they were born into a new age.

I am still very new to MM's and bow to seniority of you others here long before I appeared. This includes you 1911. I meant no harm. I had a belief the campfire was for joshing around and friendly chicanery among a small group. I'm not a part of this group yet but possibly in time, I will be welcomed.

Jager- I am not a techy guy nor do I search out ways to learn more about upcoming technology. I can say that you may either be way too smart for this site....or way too creative in your ideas on how far our technology has come. I wouldn't say you won't fit in. I think over a computer anyone can fit in. I think you bring a healthy outlook to the site.

And...1911, aka "Dear or "Honey", may be one of the more educated guys here, he still wears a gay, floppy hat so .....there you go.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Thank You Wiszard
I thank you deeply for being kind.

I am staring at my screen trying to find the correct words whilst understanding anything I write, shall fall very short of denoting myself. Among Hunters around a Campfire, conversations usually begin by asking a new person: "What Business are you in"....etc...

Well, I can't explain such in brevity, heck, I am unable to say anything in brevity. Let me "Try" in this manner. I saw a Today Show interview with actor Sylvester Stallone. In a segment he said, growing up, he felt insecure and this insecurity made him Work Harder, Try Harder, similar to a survival mode in becoming better in/on walls he faced; alone. Hence me in brevity.

I am unable to see myself as others view me. Sadly, I was born with a curse. A curse of being extremely powerful in physical strength. Without a mean bone in my body, due to such a curse, in 1st grade I had to play recess with the 3rd graders. 2nd grade = 4th graders playground area. When your strong you don't understand other kids are easily hurt. 1960 era Mothers of hurt children vocally proclaimed I was a Hitler Youth byproduct.

Flash forward in time through High School (Father died when I was age 10), I was living in a neighborhood of Physicist Adults yet, I was dumb as a brick. The day after Graduation everything hit me. I was now facing Adulthood. I felt true Fear for the first time. I began studies and have never slowed. Possibly such is/was the type of insecurity denoted above by, another person.

To even try to write about the basics of my career's, would instantly fill a book. Diversity of subjects alone and becoming a known SME (Subject Matter Expert) not only surprised me, but sent me further. Like the curse of Strength, knowledge, not guesses but deep knowledge in a variety of realms, can also be a curse in some venues. I still see myself as dumb and with a happy go lucky nature.

Jesus sure played a funny when making me. I say the following and Pray not to be Judged. From taking Lives (Humans) to saving Lives to making Lives and, the solo delivery of my youngest child (yes, solo with wife, no Dr's) to 40 years in San Francisco Bay Area Law Enforcement to a GS-14 with Top Secret Clearances in Washington DC (Not Law & after retirement) and elsewhere, I have been on quite a ride in Life.

I am Disabled (Due to an Armed mental Health Patient) and was told by a life long loyal friend (Yes you RICH) who knows my Motivation is now low, to join MM's and since Hunting has always been everything to me, maybe chatting with ole Sage and others will: "Kick my Ass to leave Home and do some Hunting".

He was correct, MM's has been magic. I "Thought" I would have gained enough knowledge to then enter Out of State drawings yet, I can not physically do such, without physical help. In March 2014 in ICU my family was assembled and told I was not going to survive. A Priest gave me my Last Rights on Ash Wednesday.

Again, Jesus was playing with my sorry Ass. 6 months later I was brought to a spot (couldn't walk due to time in bed) and I see a Black Nose 130 yards away, aim my 223 AR just below and bingo, make a neck shot on a Buck. Weeks later with my Match M21 again, brought to a spot to sit, I kill a monster Buck with another Neck shot. "Who Has Such Experiences...?". Again, I must be an odd critter, yet very humble and happy. I don't have any regrets all back through every second of my Life.

98% of my Life I have enjoyed going Hunting alone. Now Disabled and not a Veteran whom may/might get help from a Veteran's Program, I must fight for something "I Seek". I need to escape the Loving but overly protective hands of my Daughters/Son and leave Home, alone, like once upon a time story, and go after Elk. I have never shot an Elk. In 1993 my then 12 yr old Daughter drew the single Bull Tule Elk Hunt. F&G put her picture on the cover of the Big game manual. The RMEF had her as a guest speaker at a Sacramento Banquet. But poor Ole Dad strolls along Elk-less. I do seek a Guide for Elk but just the thought of handing over +$6,000 makes me think of Gallons of Milk, Bread, etc...such could bring into a Home. This again shows my own stupidity.

1911, I do feel bad my Post and my intentions of being Polite, Respectful, were taken as me being Rude and/or not addressing you in a manner you request, accept, require. I will do better in time.

Wiszard (and others), I do struggle in being brief and down right basic. There's just so much rattling around in my mind (Knowledge's & Experiences) that it is a real challenge to write in an accepted manner. So it seems all of us whom respect the Founders site of MM's and avoid Face Book, have discovered a nice forum to exchange news, ideas, opinions at. Even more may be the friendships, loyalties and flat out fun, we few, have here on MM's.

Have a Nice day
Jagerdad

Jagerdad, I've never had an elk tag either, so you're not alone in that department. I'm pretty sure an elk neck is bigger than a deer neck, so you should be fine if you ever draw. :)

You don't always have to be brief in your comments. Sometimes it's just therapeutic to write down your thoughts and send them. I do that sometimes. Founder hasn't complained yet. At least not to me. :)

You have a friend in Sageadvice, so you must be doing something right.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-16 AT 02:11PM (MST)[p]Ah my Buddy John. I knew of John but really got to know him while we both worked armed security at a Nuclear Power Facility. My best bud at the time also worked there and the 3 of us became tight, hunted and shot at the range together on our off days whenever we could. John asked me to join him on a Pistol team that he ran and we shot pistol ammo by the coffee cans full in our practice. Even then, as good as i thought i was, i couldn't beat him at the game, not even that close.

In joking around, we'd often punch each other on the shoulder. The first time i tried that on John, he grabbed my fist mid flight and twisted it around to the point that i had to twist with or have my arm broken. Though not blessed with the tall lean, wide at the shoulder, narrow at the hips type body, he was a natural baby huey type, stronger and faster than he even knew, and not a mean bone in his body.

As the years went on Jagerdad flat became the best shot in my part of the country. Didn't matter what firearm he picked up, he excelled with it and regularly competed against the best this country had to offer, often winning these competitions. Again, i was good, but the one guy i could not beat was John. He naturally rose into Law enforcement, teacher, instructor, i don't know it all but where he was, he was no doubt top dog when the $hit hit the fan. He worked the worse areas possible, places a person just doesn't go to at night and tries hard to avoid during the day. He often worked alone or with minimal help and doing what was asked of him, he did his job well and was under constant danger of losing his life because so. I can hardly imagine being assigned a worse job but John was the ultimate Gunslinger in a piece of this world where police were baited, then often killed on sight. Knowing John and how he went about his job full on, it's amazing to me that he lived long enough to collect his Pension.

John i hope you're not mad that i speak out now as i'm doing here but a some guys here might think that they are tough guys or better than you in some way and can point their noses up in the air at your words. They have no clue what a bad ass dude yet hell of a nice guy that you are. I know you mean no harm, and as it should be. Still, if someone gives you a hard time here, dish it back in spades. You certainly have the wit, It all works out. Your Friend,

Joey

Jag....just keep posting ,we will learn to adapt. Thanks for your comments.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thank's Sage....I mean: Honey :)

Same to you eelgrass. I joked previously by using eel then Agronomy....ie: eel-argronomy. You didn't object so I surmised you're educated and know argronomy is akin to a Golf Course Superintendent ( + vast other disciplines) Growing GRASS, just shy of Genome mapping, soil science and Agrophysics.
Since you're saying things Sage, maybe talk about the Buck & bet you made against me + a Neck shot then hiked down and carried the Buck up a steep mountain. I'm enjoying such nice things. Plus, Son became a USA Olympic Team Athlete "Shooting" and MY WIFE melts, just as all women do, when YOU are present. You are highly remembered for eating Dove Heads while we (you, I & wife) Hunted and you chewed....Crunch...Crunch...Crunch...Dove Heads :)
My Nose just grew an inch....
I am learning MM folks and enjoying everyone. Those who have written me or, defended me, are distant friends now. Those who insinuated I was/am Hog-Wash were correct, I should not have written matters in such a way. The technology curve hits many in different way's. I still remember when everyone "Ducked" low if walking past a Microwave oven.
I have grown to like Hawkeye's writings.... Image that..?... me, with 5 family members as Attorneys having room to enjoy, yet another. Where's my Tinfoil...?
Such is also the same for those who argued against him and others over SFW and the Expo. All good folks holding solid in their beliefs and writing.

We may not be under blossomed Cherry Trees in DC (a trip worth it) as we write here on MM's but from the places and times I have been in, this website is very comfortable....and so are, ALL of YOU.

Thank each of you, for being; YOU.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-16 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]Jager, those story's have already been told here in these pages, maybe it was your first thread to announce your intended presence here. As you well know, I can tell a story from time to time as the adventures afield were many and often remarkable but with age, i have to be careful of not repeating them too often.

There was a duck hunt that we went on that i'll never forget. John and i were both shooting a lot of clay birds in those days. Myself being the student and much newer to the Formal game, i had yet to enter a serious competition but i had been practicing with a shooting coach Jager put me in contact with, was shooting at least 200 birds a day, three days a week, and was keeping a careful self recorded average just above 98 birds of 100. And again, John's average was higher. I had put in and drawn access to Los Banos for opening day of Duck Season, it was a draw for two people, and i asked you John, if you'd like to go.

Opening day being a opening day, i was much looking forward to the hunt and bought a dozen new deeks, a new call, a bunch of reloading stuff for our ammo, i had a good pile of cash invested in the hunt but no matter, we were there half to 3/4's the way across the refuge, deeks out, snuggled into the tule grassed levy bank as the sun started rising, creating the fleeting hazy blue that replaced full dark thirty.

Here came the Ducks, all seeming out of the south and perfect for the way we were hidden from them, side by side, ready to Rock. Careful not to shoot too early, several hundred ducks in pairs to a couple dozen at a time flew 20 to 30 yards up over our position headed north before we started in on them. I remember shooting, hitting, loading, shooting, hitting, loading...and you were doing the same. As fast as we could load, more good targets presented themselves, all seemingly in the same flight path right over us. Must have been no more than 5 minutes and i paused and looked behind us. Our deeks were floating pretty as you please with many, many dead new friends. "Stop!" lol

All that wait and anticipation, done in maybe 5 minutes. Yes, we maybe could have let the birds work the deeks but no matter, that was as good a red hot shooting few minutes as it gets. :)

Joey

Jagerdad,

Glad you are posting more these days. Don't let our warped sense of humor or occasional thin skin run you off. We all have good and bad days. This is a rough crowd here at this campfire. And when we get a guy down the dog pile mentality sometimes overcomes us. We will seriously say things just to be smartasses and make a joke. Often times the guy at the center of it takes it on the chin. We've all been that guy.

In the words of one of our regulars here "Toughen up cupcake" ;-)

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

kilbuc & NVBighorn
I truly appreciate your support. I came to MM's and Campfire due to advice from a friend. His goal was to help me rebuild my lost Motivations. Injuries and Pain and being given "Last Rights" seemed to suck Motivation out of me. I guess a guy must have inner strengths to feel comfortable saying such sensitive things on an Internet forum but, I have a deeper feeling that everyone here are good folks and even the loudest, would be happy to have me at a real Hunting Campfire.

My skin is so tough, so scared, no matter what someone says, will not hit me personally. It may yet have me backing away from posting because I would rather be polite, respectful or absent, than opening up my own brand of whip-ass. The latter is unnecessary in such a realm as campfire. I do understand ego's and some wishing to either hold up their stature or, since it's the Internet and some feel safe, off in the distance, feeling their Home address etc...is also safe, I need to maybe take a higher path. I have done so many things and experienced so much, I seem to have no ego to protect.

The events that DO MOVE ME are just like what both of you, and others have done, in saying: Greetings, all is just fine. To Me, this is guys reaching out, being a new FRIEND. There is no higher valued item than a friend.

In time maybe I will find a writing style that is more adapted to the norm. Yet reality in a "check yourself before you wreck yourself" mode, I tend to feel I will simply remain myself. Seeking new friends isn't bad nor is sharing knowledge's.

After recovering in the ICU and on a recovery floor room, two Catholic Nun's knocked on my room door asking if they may enter. They were teary eyed and said when my name was not on the ICU list, they felt I had done as expected and; Passed away. In short they said "God has more work for you here". I'm not inferring being here on MM's is such God's work, but at least I am here.

Maybe in the fall, I will have an Elk Hunt.....if in a near by Zoo....so be it. Not to be rude but I have been told: "Give a stubborn German a Gun and by Golly, something is going to be Shot". I tHInK...they were joking...?

Thank You Guy's
Jagerdad

well....I have no idea what can or can't be done with a turned off cell phone....BUT.....I do know that when reading through texts from several different people...make DAMN sure you remember which one you are typing a sensitive response to BEFORE hittng send...

You're all good Jager. My jabs back were in good fun. Like the time I told everyone that Wiz goes pee, sitting down, on a urinal. I will concede there are ways a 'turned off' phone can transmit and receive, but it has to be modified by the user, or a user, as some point in time. In the game of tracking perps down, a cell phone is their worst enemy, until they turn it off. On the other hand, most commonly seen with drug runners using burn phones, they can install software that can make their phone able to activate remotely for a wipe. But they have to put the software on. There are also ways to plug that hole which I won't expound on. However, joe blow who buys his new smart phone from att, when it is off, it is off.

Post Script: It took me 15 years of posting to get the assassin to call me honey.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>well....I have no idea what can
>or can't be done with
>a turned off cell phone....BUT.....I
>do know that when reading
>through texts from several different
>people...make DAMN sure you remember
>which one you are typing
>a sensitive response to BEFORE
>hittng send...

Guess that explains the male genitalia that ummmm, 'popped up' on my phone from Homer.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I guess I can tell this now.....it's been so long ago. Years ago I picked up a used "police scanner" or whatever they call it. I got to playing with it and put it on "search". It would scan until it picked up a signal and then stop. To this day I don't know how or why they work.

It took me awhile but I finally figured out it was picking up cell phone conversations, which I assume is highly illegal. Unethical at best.

"Honey, (not 1911) stop by the store and pick up a loaf of bread on your way home" type of conversations. When they would hang up it would automatically "search" again until it picked up another cell phone signal. As near as I could tell it had a range of about 20 miles.

I got to know a bunch of people just by the sound of their voice. Some pretty hot chicks I must say, and some pretty explicit conversations. Many hours of entertainment for me and my wife.

I must have got rid of it because I can't find it now. Maybe it broke and I threw it away.

I am not replying specifically to; 1911 and his solid beliefs. Heck, If he or someone was firm on any feelings/knowledge, I don't see it as my place as one to argue or say they are wrong. Example; If a MM's forum wrote that they have routinely held an M1 Carbine at their Hip and made their first shot to be a Neck Shot, killing each such targeted Elk at 1000 yards, every year....why would I argue...?

My intent in listing the top link was wrong to do, here in this forum. The "Wrong" was that it denoted "Government" Request for Proposals. My message was quickly lost. My intent was really not written properly. So to say it in a more basic manner, I will simply say; It was to bring attention insofar as how "Us Elders" often lack the educated tools to help inform our family's youth(s), about protecting themselves in today's cyber world.

I tried to have a "Target", such being: "Marketing Firms". In general, everyone born after 1980 has had Computers in their life. That's just a soft general statement not intended to offend anyone. So in general, those born prior to say 1980, have had less and less Computer technologies in our daily lives.

Show someone age 15, 20, maybe 30 TV Rabbit Ears and ask them to plug'em in (not saying to what) then use them, well....we may ponder the looks we get.

Let's say for fun, a person over age 50 reads this post (or elsewhere something similar) and this person desires to dedicate just 1 hour a day, researching everything one can find in searches, I feel they "Will Benefit" but will fall light years short of having all the answers. However, as they learn, it opens up massive Dinner Table discussions with the Youth....who will likely be shocked at what Grand-Pah is uttering. It is.... a new beginning and one worth our efforts. Yet with beginning discouragements, us elders may be throwing computers out of our windows. Or composing a personal position that it's the youths job to learn if they care, not our generations job.

Even with all of my information's already deep in Government files and our family is investigated on a denoted schedule + I have nothing to hide from our Government, I do make Dr. Office front desk ladies upset and, often. Here's why. If I were a bad guy or doing counter intelligence, everything about all the other Patients in the waiting room is right there to be videoed, photographed, visually memorized and so much more opportunities.... If one wished to capture and exploit same, for gain.

A few MM's were kind enough to say "We'll Adapt to you Jagerdad" and; keep posting. Trust me, I deeply appreciate such support. I know I am never brief. The good aspect of reading something I write, is that I never lie* and I write as factual as possible. *Sidebar: Not with solid intent, but I have lived a life with obedience to the 10 Commandments, failed on at least one Commandment but looking back, it's surprised me how, with no mental thoughts or conscious thoughts, I did live a live so close to all such rules. Now you can see how Boring I am.

The below may make a number of readers, very upset. It's not my desire to do so. I came back and made this post to point more towards the true problem, and it's always been: $$$$$$$. Hence; Marketing Firms. I feel they have been giving OUR Youth Free Candy and our Youths have no idea how much that Free Candy is costing them (and you & I ).

As some read the below, some may remember words I wrote above insofar as someone on Disability + Social Security tracking. I seriously doubt such even could be a true issue now in 2016. True Fraud would take the forefront of such an agency. They just as the IRS are underfunded. But if time is taken to only read the below, some may learn the playing field is canted. Personally, with all the 3rd, 4th, 20th groups (Businesses, Firms, Etc..) that gather our most private datas is BS and should be against the law. But it may never be against any Law due to $$$$$$.

Hugs
Jagerdad

https://www.eff.org/issues/medical-privacy

ELECTRONIC FRONTIER FOUNDATION
DEFENDING YOUR RIGHTS IN THE DIGITAL WORLD

Some of the most sensitive information in the world?our prescription history, medical records, sexual history, drug usage information, and more?is entering the digital world. The digitization of medical records is being sold as an opportunity to revolutionize healthcare. But while digital medical records surely come with special benefits, this technological innovation also has huge ramifications for our privacy.

EFF?s medical privacy project examines emerging issues in medical privacy, looking at how lagging medical privacy laws and swiftly advancing technological innovation leave patients vulnerable to having their medical data exposed, abused, or misconstrued.

We all want our medical information to be private, because we believe it should be something that's between us and our health care providers. Unfortunately, this is often not the case.

Much personal health data circulates just in the process of providing and paying for treatment and prescriptions. Mandated reporting?for example, for public health purposes?vacuums up a huge volume of identifiable health information. And we all unthinkingly give up a lot of information about our health voluntarily or to receive a perceived benefit?posting online about an illness or condition, using a search engine to look for information about the flu, applying for a job, joining a gym, and acting in a variety of other ways.

Health privacy laws

The United States has no universal information privacy law that's comparable, for instance, to the EU Data Protection Directive. The laws that exist are sector-specific and vary considerably. The baseline law for health information is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA offers some rights to patients, but it is severely limited because it only applies to an entity if it is what the law considers to be either a "covered entity"?namely: a health care provider, health plan, or health care clearinghouse?or a relevant business associate (BA). This means HIPAA doesn't apply to many entities who may receive medical information, such as an app on your cell phone or a genetic testing service like 23andme.

Realistically, HIPAA is a disclosure regulation law, not a privacy law: It regulates how your health information may be disclosed, both with and without your consent. No consent is necessary for treatment, payment, or health care operations. For example, your doctor can consult with another doctor about your latest injury without getting your consent because that's part of treating your injury.

Individual medical information can also be disclosed without your consent for public health reporting, to assist law enforcement, and for judicial and administrative purposes, or to determine your eligibility for benefits and services. It can also be disclosed in ways you can't find out about for national security purposes.

States can also protect medical privacy. As federal law, HIPAA establishes a national "floor," but allows states to have stronger patient privacy protections. California law in some areas is stronger than HIPAA.

In order to understand specific topics related to medical privacy, it's helpful to have an understanding of the patchwork of state and federal laws that apply to medical information. Read our guide to medical privacy law.

What information is in medical records?

Medical and non-medical information that's collected and shared in medical records includes:

Basic demographic data such as address, phone number(s), email address, age, gender, and race.
Full name and account number and sometimes Social Security Number. Use of Social Security Numbers is disfavored because of the risk of ID theft. Because of this, some, though far from all, health providers now use an assigned patient ID number, rather than a Social Security Number.
Medical history: diagnoses, treatments, diagnostic test results, and prescriptions, along with known medical conditions, allergies, and drug/alcohol/smoking habits.
Billing and payment information.
Information you provide on intake forms about your immediate family members, including any history of certain diseases, like cancer or diabetes.
When is medical information not covered by HIPAA?

In many situations, entities that are not covered by HIPAA have medical information. Sometimes other privacy laws apply to those entities, sometimes not.

Health information, if not complete records, finds its way into financial records; for example, when you pay for prescriptions or psychiatric treatment with a credit card. School records can contain records of physical exams, behavioral assessments, or treatment for sports injuries; this information is usually covered by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). Employment records may contain health information, too.

There's also the digital sinkhole of information we voluntarily give up. This can be identifiable information on social media, health-related websites and chat groups, or mobile health and fitness apps. It can also be de-identified tracking information that every website collects and may be combining with other data to make it identifiable.

Who has access to your medical records?

Lots of agencies and organizations have legal access to medical information under HIPAA and many other laws. For a start, insurers generally have access?not just health plans, but life insurance, long-term care, and car insurance with medical reimbursement for injuries. Numerous government agencies also have access, including Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Disability, Workers Comp, state and federal public health departments?the list goes on.

In addition, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) collects all the medical records you're required to release when you apply for insurance. After 2014, however, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will eliminate the use of pre-existing conditions as a factor for getting health insurance, so patients won't need to release medical records as part of the application process. These records help insurers verify that you've filled out your application truthfully.

There are also Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs), which administer drug benefit programs for health plans. PBMs have your entire prescription history?drugs, dates, dosage, and who prescribed them?because part of their role is to check your eligibility and get approval for your medication. They also sell de-identified information (not covered by HIPAA because personally identifiable information has been removed) to data miners, who resell it packaged as different types of reports.

Employers have access to health information in background checks when you apply for a job, although they're supposed to get your written permission first. If they operate or contract out employee wellness programs, they may have access to information about whether you're exercising or losing weight, have really quit smoking, or are succeeding in controlling your anger management problem.

As mentioned above, there are standard exceptions to consent to access medical records for law enforcement, as well as exceptions for judicial and administrative processes. Information obtained for national security purposes is more mysterious, and you are unlikely to know your records have been disclosed unless you're unfortunate enough to find yourself the subject of government prosecution.

Another area outside the boundaries of regulations where people give up medical information is in informal health screenings, at health fairs, and through commercially administered vaccine programs (like flu shots at Costco or shingles vaccinations at Walgreen?s).

Summary: Who may have access to your medical information?
Life insurance
Car insurance

Long term disability insurance

Employers

Medical Information Bureau

Pharmacy Benefit Managers

Government agencies, like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Disability, Workers Comp

State and federal public health department

Law enforcement and courts

National security entities

What rights or control do you have over your medical information?

You are at the back of the line when it comes to having a say about what happens with your personal health information, but you do have some rights.

You must be given a notice of privacy practices (NPP) that tells you how providers use your information (which means you have no choice) and what your rights are. A provider needs your written authorization to disclose information about STDs, substance abuse treatment, and psychotherapy notes. Written authorization is also necessary for any kind of marketing other than prescription reminders. You can ask for and receive copies of your records and request corrections. If you pay for your own treatment and ask a provider not to disclose the information to an insurer, it can't be disclosed.

In addition, medical information can be exposed in a data breach, whether through the negligence of a healthcare provider, the acts of a malicious hacker, or through some other means. From 2005-2013, the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse collected reports of 1,118 breaches of medical data that potentially exposed over 29,000,000 sensitive records. In some cases, breaches of medical records can also result in significant fines. The federal government now also publishes medical data breach information, which includes an estimate of the number of individuals affected.

Policies for sharing health information electronically aren't settled yet, but the default appears to be that no additional consent is required beyond the assumed HIPAA consent for treatment, payment, and health care operations for putting your medical records into the digital data stream.

Read more about medical privacy law.

Resources and blogs:

CalOHII (California Office of Health Information Integrity) has a useful and well-organized section on federal and California laws and regulations concerning health information privacy.

California Health Information Law Identification (CHILI) CHILI is a search tool that assists in identifying California statutes and regulations related to the privacy, access, and security of individually identifiable health information.

California Office of the Attorney General (for links to all of California?s privacy laws)

Center for Democracy and Technology's Health Privacy Project

Citizens' Council for Health Freedom

Council for Responsible Genetics

Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Education: Joint Guidance on the Application of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) And the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) To Student Health Records. [pdf] (for how FERPA and HIPAA interact)

Genetic Alliance

GeneWatch UK

Genomic Law Report

HealthLawProf Blog

Indiana University Center for Bioethics Newborn Blood Spot Banking: Approaches to Consent - PredictER Law and Policy Update

National Human Genome Research Institute Genome Statute and Legislation Database

Patient Privacy Rights

Privacy Rights Clearinghouse's Medical Privacy Project

The UC Berkeley Chancellor?s Office has a good summary of the Information Practices Act.

World Privacy Forum's Patient's Guide to HIPAA

>I guess I can tell this
>now.....it's been so long ago.
>Years ago I picked up
>a used "police scanner" or
>whatever they call it. I
>got to playing with it
>and put it on "search".
>It would scan until it
>picked up a signal and
>then stop. To this day
>I don't know how or
>why they work.
>
>It took me awhile but I
>finally figured out it was
>picking up cell phone conversations,
>which I assume is highly
>illegal. Unethical at best.
>
>"Honey, (not 1911) stop by the
>store and pick up a
>loaf of bread on your
>way home" type of conversations.
>When they would hang up
>it would automatically "search" again
>until it picked up another
>cell phone signal. As near
>as I could tell it
>had a range of about
>20 miles.
>
>I got to know a bunch
>of people just by the
>sound of their voice. Some
>pretty hot chicks I must
>say, and some pretty explicit
>conversations. Many hours of entertainment
>for me and my wife.
>
>
>I must have got rid of
>it because I can't find
>it now. Maybe it broke
>and I threw it away.
>

I had the same thing Eel. When I was a youngster I got one for xmas. It was funny to scan and pick up on cell phone conversations. It was about the time cell phones were becoming fairly mainstream rather than a luxury for the well to do. Shortly after this was realized by the FCC, two things happened.

Most, not all but most police frequency signals changed from a fixed transmit and receive VHF signal. Now most systems operate on what is referred to as one of many generations of trunking 800 MHz signals. To make a long story short, any municipality had to have a registered frequency for every channel. They soon found that with growth and frequency skip issues, they needed to limit the number of frequencies.

Now what they do is say one county has 20 given registered frequencies. Any radio, police, parks and rec, ect., scans for a signal flag, say 2437, as a certain police frequency. Anytime a radio tuned to that flag picks it up on a scan it will listen regardless of which of those say 20 frequencies it transmits on.

The other benefit is that it works similar to cell phones where it bounces from tower to tower which results in longer transmit distance and a clearer signal as well as radio identifier information. The second I key up my radio dispatch already can see that it is coming from a radio registered to me.

The other thing that happened, in order to listen to these trunked signals, you had to buy a scanner capable of trunking and watching for whatever identifier, service, you want to trunk. With the new scanners the FCC mandated that the band of frequencies associated with cell phones were blocked on these new scanners. Now you cannot listen in on a new scanner unless you are really savvy with electronics and there are a handful of ways to defeat the blocked bands. I'm not sure, but I think most cell phone carriers also defeat this with encryption of signals. If they aren't, if you have a pre say 1990 scanner, you would still be able to scan that band. Police channels also have some reserved and capable of sending scrambled and encrypted signals which for 99 percent of the population, would be impossible to crack. Even the best safes can be broken into. Notwithstanding, a lot of the police stuff comes over MDT, mobile dispatching terminal, and it never goes over the air, just on encrypted computers in dispatch centers and cruisers.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>And for some....
>
>UTAH, Salt Lake City, State Troopers,
>Etc... http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1946
>
>Utah Highway Patrol
>
>http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/4798/?rl=rr

If you have a smart phone, and the battery is in, there are a handful of scanner apps that you can pick up feeds from all over the globe. To catch a glimpse of why not to live in Los Angeles, tune into the LAPD "hot shots" channel. It is their scan channel dedicated to hot calls, armed robberies, ect. ect., and it runs absolutely non-stop with violent crimes in progress. Very eye opening to the underbelly of that city to say the least.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911, now you tell me. I spent years waiting for the knock on my door from the cops. Every time a sheriff's car drove past the house I'd go hide in the closet until my wife gave me the "all clear" sign.

It was way back when cell phones were just getting popular. Remember that hippie chick who spent 2+ years living in a Redwood tree? The tree was in direct line with my house and she had a cell phone. I wanted soooo bad to tell the press the things she said, but I didn't want to go to jail even worse. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom