UNBELIEVABLE LEOPARD

eldorado

Long Time Member
Either she is a giant or he is a dwarf, but regardless, that
is still a remarkable leopard taken.

8789img100.jpg

Courtesy of the internet.

Right circumstances happen and maybe when our great great grandkids are born, there might be a huntable population of jaguars here in the Southwestern US. Sightings has been popping up over the past few years from Arizona across to Texas. I would love to see those granola munching greenies in Southern California say, "What a pretty kitty", right before they get mauled by a jaguar. Cougars can kill a human under the right conditions, Jaguars could kill a human under any circumstances.
WVBOWAK

But yeah both are nice cats, trophies in anyones books I am sure.
WVBOWAK

1868leopard_pics_189.jpg

My 2007 leopard from Namibia. Hunted with hounds and shot with my 375 H&H and 260 grain Nosler AccuBond, after a 4 mile run. Largest taken out of 16 that year by my friends, and scored 16 12/16". Nothing like it over here!

That's correct; hound hunting was stopped. My friends now have 5 20K acre private ranches to hunt around Windhoek and a 1 million acre conservancy northwest of Etosha park with good leopard numbers, and most have never seen a human.

Will be in Reno SCI this weekend with them, and scheduling another great trip over there for next summer.

Very nice cat Blank. So what hounds did they use? Surely not coonhounds like we have here in the states that we would use for bear and mountain lion?
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-11 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7734joel_blank_321.jpg

Wish I was a better dog guy. I can tell Labs and then the other ones. :) These were great trailing dogs, and absolutely fearless once we got the leopard bayed up.

I shot my leopard from a blind, only weighed a 100 lbs I'm still quite proud of it. Running leopards with dogs is a lot different than lions in America. I'm glad Namibia banned it. My leopard was 161 of the 200 Namibia allowed in 2009. Most guys I saw running leopards were using Plott hounds it was still legal. They ran packs of 8-12 and it was $5,000 bucks to the hound man when the dogs hit the ground.

Just out of curiosity, why are you glad they banned running leopards with hounds? It seems like it would be harder than running a cougar in part because it's dry ground.

>Those there are Wade Lemon Hounds!!
>
>
>http://www.wadelemonhunting.net/Leopard/tabid/67/Default.aspx
>
>Uncle of mine from Holden UT.
> He took the hounds
>to Africa a number of
>years back and is still
>working with the guys. Awensome
>cat you got there!

A leopard is one nasty summabiotch.
Completely different disposition than a mountain lion.
I heard Wade had a whole bunch of dogs killed running those cats.
What a rush, not knowing if the cat is coming for you.
HH

Leopards are a lot different than cougars for sure. Dirk Smit the guy I was with in Namibia told me that the hound man he worked with usually lost at least one dog with each leopard they ran.

The reason I dislike running them with dogs and this is just from talking with outfitters that I have been to Namibia with. It was a big battle when I was there with some outfitters claiming once a track was struck it was almost certain they would get the leopard unless it ran in a cave. Namibia is very flat obviously. I know little about how cougars are ran although I want to some day but I believe not all cougars that the dogs are on are treed. As I said I have no personal experience with cougars but I do know from talking to hound men in Namibia even though they lose dogs they usually get the leopard.

Another reason is tradition I sat 5 nights for my leopard and shot It at sunrise the following morning. In my opinion that is a lot more how a leopard should be taken than following a pack of dogs in a jeep and shooting it when the dogs have it cornered. You have all the wild things hyenas, carcals, porcupines, ferrets, bats, and a lion much more of an experience. Just an opinion don't take offense if you think running leopards with dogs is ok. Saying that I want to someday take a cougar with my bow ran and treed by dogs.

Gotta chip back in here with some differing info from my experience. One, two hours north of Windhoek it ain't flat. Its 5000 feet elevation, and goes up to almost 7500. Ran over two mountains following my 1st leopard, and no way to get a vehicle anywhere near the area. That cat just flat out ran us and left the ranch we were hunting (180,000 acres). Only got half the dogs back that day, and the other half the next.

Had 32 baits out, using a quarter of a warthog each and many drags. Managed to get some females and small males to check them out but no big ones. The really nice thing about hound hunting is just how selective you can be, before even turning out. Bait hunting and shooting at last light (or with artifical lite in Zim) has resulted in some disappointed hunters when they experienced severe ground shrinkage!

The next race was 4 days later. Turned out on a huge male with 10.5 cm track at daylight (0530), and finally got him bayed at 0800. No vehicles in those rocky hills either. First time in an small acacia, but he jumped and we were off again. Came down the hill at us, but turned off halfway. My friends had experienced several charges that year alone, stopping one at 5 feet! Next he hung up in a big kobas tree (like a baobab) and I was able to take him with my 375 H&H. You should see the look on my face when my apprentice hunter filming the hunt yelled "Don't move-there's a snake at your feet!" Since 16 of the 24 species in Namibia are poisonous, it gets your attention.

There is always the unscrupulous operator who takes shortcuts, be it fishing, hunting, or whatever. Doing things right and ethically, it doesn't matter how you hunt. Different people have various likes and dislikes, but I will enjoy whatever is legal. Now it is no longer an option, but it is too bad. It was a thrilling way to hunt.

As for mountain lions, I will never hunt them over dogs; They are pussies (pun intended) and can be put up a tree with as few as one or two dogs. I keep trying to call them in with a predator call and use my muzzleloader. My frinds and relatives outfit for them here in Idaho, and will even climb up in the tree for close up pictures. You try that with a leopard and you will think you fell into a Cuisinart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all the readers here who might try this hunting in the future.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-11
>AT 11:01?PM (MST)

>
>
7734joel_blank_321.jpg

>
>Wish I was a better dog
>guy. I can tell Labs
>and then the other ones.
>:) These were great trailing
>dogs, and absolutely fearless once
>we got the leopard bayed
>up.

Those are English coonhounds (reds and blues), I love the looks of them, but I preferred Treeing Walkers.
WVBOWAK

As far as I know while he was there no dogs were lost. I know that over time they lost dogs to various fates. Some to the leopard, some to snakes, and some to just crappy terrain.

If your curious call him and ask him.

I've been in the part 2-3 hours north of Windhoek and all the way to Angola and you are correct some of those mountains are really rough. I thought I was in shape until we started after mountain zebra the terrain was very rough. I'm certainly no expert. I have been there twice both time we lost a fox terrier they bring them along to track possibly wounded plains game in the bush. Both times it was to an Angola Cobra which are an aggressive snake. I hunted bordering all around the Waterburg reserve an hour or so from Etosha nearest town Otavi.

Its hard for a lot of those old guys to break the tradition of sitting for leopard its what they've always done. I noticed the older guides were generally against the use of dogs the younger guides for it. There are 11 dogs in the picture was that the normal size of the pack they ran on leopards.

The lady hunter is, I'm almost positive, Marrs Bowman of Texas. She took that leopard a few years ago in norhtern Tanzania, I belive in Monduli, which is known for producing some very big cats. I believe the 2nd cat was taken in Zimbabwe's southeast lowveld, which many people consider to be one of the finest areas in all of Africa for big leopards, as it is cattle country.

I run lions with hounds, and would like to chime in. I have talked to people first hand about running leopards with hounds. They say that a Leopard is hard at best to bay-up let alone tree. most Leopards that are bayed up with hounds are on the ground in the thick brush....grass, and the hunter has to be fearless enough to go in and try to dispatch the animal without hitting a dog or getting him/herself killed. They say Leopards will kill anyone, anything that gets close. They said the roar of a Leopard when bayed up will make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. I know what the percentage of lions caught on dry ground in mild temps is. I can only imagine that those percentages are WAY lower there. Sounds to me like outfitters trying to book hunts by telling of 100% catch rate.
I would love to take a Leopard and I don't think anyone should bash methods of harvest either way. I myself am sad to hear they banned hounding for Leopards
catman

I didn't mean to sound it was unsporting to run leopards with hounds. I certainly don't want to sound like the sporting police I was just saying outfitters beliefs on this run hot one way or another. I believe a lot of them would rather bait for leopard and get the baiting fee and avoid letting the houndsmen get their fee which I know is real high. I do know a leopard roar will keep you awake throughout the night. So congragulations to all who have taken a leopard either way.

I wonder what those leopards weigh? The biggest leopard the guys I had talked to weighed about 220 lbs those have to be bigger than that I think.

My luck that dang window would have went up when the leopard was in the vehicle with me :-(
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Sorry guys, been at Reno SCI and just returned. The snake I stepped on was what they called a "whip" snake. Non-poisonous but still gives you a heart attack! Saw a couple puff adders and 3 black mambas on that trip, and lost one of our Jack Russel terriers to a mamba.

Talked to my friends at the show and booked another 10 day trip for 6 of us to the new concessions. There are lots of leopard up there, so maybe we'll see some in daylight!

My friend guided a hunter to a 240# er this past year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom