Ultra Light Day Pack

grizzly

Long Time Member
I am a becoming a nut about cutting weight in my daypack. When I look at a steep mountain or a deep canyon and have the energy to tackle it, I think it makes me a better hunter. I know some of you guys have been doing this for years and can probably give me some tips on where I am going wrong.

I have always way overpacked (like 50+ lbs for a daypack). I was always so scared of spending the night or getting stuck in a storm, I didn't pack smart. I mainly archery hunt in August and September at high altitudes. The clothes on my back are merino wool top and bottom, poly pants, softshell jacket, ballcap.

I have now cut my daypack to 24.8 lbs. That includes my pack, bow/arrows, rain gear, 40oz of water, H20 filter, knife, extra socks, game bags, spotting scope, tripod, first aid kit (emergency blanket, whistle, 2 firestarters, rope), and a camera. The only thing not listed are my binos which are around my neck.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something? Do I have too much?

I would love to know what weight some of you guys have your packs down to, so I know my goal.

Thanks for your help.

Grizzly

To be honest, I never actually weigh my pack, I just know when it feels too damn heavy!

These are the items you will find inside my pack while out for a day of bow hunting: 80 ounces of water, rain gear, light wool gloves (if not wearing them), beanie or brimmed hat (whichever one I'm not wearing), pair of heavy wool socks (for the final stock), fire tinder material, lighter, flint, water purification tablets, emergency blanket, whistle, small first aid kit, LED flashlight, GPS (when not in my hands), spare batteries for GPS & flashlight, game bags, cheap plastic red table cloth, rope, skinning knife, snacks / food (trail mix, granola bars, jerky, etc?), ample supply of toilet paper, scent elimination wipes that come in the small packs, a map of the area I am in, and spare mechanical release.

Additional items you may find in my pack depending on what I'm hunting and where I'm hunting: Game calls, small lightweight spotting scope, and additional clothing layers.

Additional items you will usually find on me but not in my pack: Bow with quiver, knife, maybe a game call (depending on what I'm hunting), bino?s, rangefinder, chapstick, windicator, and sidearm.

So what do you think???.too much? ????..not enough?

That sounds like my pack last year. You're tougher than me if you can haul that up and down avalanche chutes all day and not get tired. I just hope to hunt smarter and lighter.

I always pack a knife, small folding saw, 100' rope, fire starter, latex gloves with cotton gloves for skinning. ( I hate the smell of blood on my hands ). Flashlight, extra batteries, water pump, 80 oz water with crystal light, extra crystal light packet, small first aid kit, electricians tape, spotting scope and tripod, rag for mopping sweat off my face, small pack of wet wipes instead of toilet paper, food, etc......I always pack a mystery ranch crew cab, or a badlands 2200 so that I can pack meat out. Beats making 2 trips.

I hear you Gizz, I strip it down before every season thinking I'm going to lighten the load, and I always wind up with same set up lol. I think I may weigh it next time I have it all put it together just to see.

Smitty - I have been using the BL Super Daypack for a few years but have been thinking of upsizing to the 2200. It would be nice to have a little more cargo capacity once I have something on the ground.

Grizz,
I think you are spot on. My DAY pack is pretty big also. I try to keep it at 25 lbs.
There is just too much that can go wrong on a SIMPLE day hunt, so I like to be prepared.
You can really cut weight with a lighter Day Pack. I noticed Blaser recently released a Light Weight Pack.

Anyway, I think you are spot on.

Mike
iReviewGear.com

Mike, I just wanted to thank you for your review of the KUIU Guide Jacket. I listened to your review and bought the jacket and love it.

PS. I use the Eberlestock X2. It is a great pack.

Grizzly

Looks like you are on the right trCk for weight. I like to go extremely light. Don't forget flashlight and extra batteries to your list. The biggest way to cut weight is in the pack itself. I got a MR Dragonslayer last year and won't be changing anytime soon. Best pAck I've ever had by far at just over 3 lbs.

I have not weighed my daypack. I will have to weigh it, I would hope I'm right close to 20lb.
When I strike out for the day only, I eat breakfast before I start and plan on a late dinner when I'm off the mountain. So I don't have to pack much food.

I use a 2200, which weighs 6lb 4 oz.
pack includes:
rain gear, ONLY if rain is in the forecast.
100 oz water weighs 6.5 lb
food for lunch/snacks/5 hour energy
Havalon knife
50 ft paracord
lighter/firestarter
baby wipes for the cleansing processes
first aid kit: few bandaids, neosporine, tape, good pain pills (just in case).

gear is:
bow with 5 arrows
binos
release
and depending on where/what I'm hunting if I pack my spotter and tripod.

I think I'm at the bare essentials. I seem to get quite hungry, but I know its just for the day and nothing I can't work through. I used to pack for every "just in case situation", but I find it too heavy. I figure, either way its going to blow if something bad happens, no matter whats in my pack.

I also use the eberlestock x2, best pack I have ever owned.

I usually carry the following items in the pack -
40 oz water bladder
knife
gloves
spotting scope
lightweight backpacking tripod
beanie
lightweight rain jacket
lighter
emergency blanket

Backpackinglight.com , granted those guys are'nt carrying a rifle and some of the other things we hunters need, but it will open you up to a whole new world of gear and how to use it.

Backpackinglight.com does a great job! and have really helped me think about weight and packs.

For day trips:

A few things if you really want to cut weight more:

-Get a light weight coat, KUIU Spindrift or the Sitka version
-Take a LONG look at your pack, you can cut big weight there, you do loose durability but can really cut weight.
-Consider finding water, not packing water, there is risk, but it can help.

Mike

Is a tripod a good place to cut weight? I have one that is small and kind of flimsy but weighs a pound less than the sturdier one. Which would you pack?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom