Ultimate Training Hike

Founder

Founder Since 1999
How about this for a training hike. Was reading the most recent issue of Western Hunter Magazine and in it is an article that didn't have a lot to do with hunting, but did a bit in the fact that the group of guys involved use it as a preseason training hike.

Anyway, the article was about a group of guys who hike from one rim of the Grand Canyon to the other, and then back......47 miles and 21,000 vertical feet total. Now that there is a preseason hike!!!!

Sounds fun huh! Who else thinks that sounds like a good, healthy preseason workout? LOL
One of the guys in the article mentioned that after accomplishing that, when he hears a bull bugle in the bottom of a canyon, he feels more confident going after it because he "knows" he can walk up out of the canyon.
If you can accomplish a 47 mile, 21,000 vert. hike, dropping down into most canyons after a buck or bull is a breeze.

Good magazine. Western Hunter donates a subscription every week for us to giveaway to folks sharing video clips at MonsterHuntClips.com, so share your clips and maybe you can WIN a free subscription. Win it or not, good mag. to be getting. There's some good articles in this most recent issue........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

sounds like fun to me!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Brian, thanks for the kind words about Western Hunter. We try to do our best to give readers some articles that are entertaining, but useful as well.

The R2R2R article definitely got me thinking about my preseason workouts and the statement about dropping into a canyon is the thing that stood out to me the most, too!

While in their late 50's, my mom and stepdad hiked rim-to-rim a couple times, but never back again. I thought they were crazy...

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Rim to Rim to Rim, I did it this year. A good friend of mine has been planning a trip every year for the past several years. (Memorial Weekend) Last year we did rim to rim. We hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim, spent the night on the South Rim and then drove back around to camp on the North Rim. It took me 10 hours last year to hike it 1 way. (24.3 miles one way.) This year my plan was to hike from the North Rim to the South Rim, spend the night and then hike back from the South to the North.

Long story short, 11 hours the first day this year and 12 hours the next. Yes, I did make it rim to rim to rim, it was tougher this year, the weather was much hotter and we ran into some trouble the first day with one of the guys in our group. It took him 16 1/2 hours the first day. Pretty scary, we almost lost him to heat stoke. I was the only one to hike back on the second day. I seriously thought about ridding back with the others, but decided to hike instead.

It is a "bucket list" item for sure. And yes, once you do it one time, you will be back the next year to do it all over again.

I really don't suggest doing the hike this time of year. Phatom Ranch, (bottom of the canyon) will be well over 100 degress. It was 105 when we made the trip. Indian Gardens was 98 degress.

I will post some pictures later.
Awesome hike.
Kevin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom