Ultimate optics set up for backpack hunting

m_freeman

I am on the quest for the ultimate optics gear for backpack hunting, I am new to BP hunting so I am going through the learning curve. I hunt AZ and CA, high desert, the Sierras and foothills. I like the 8x binos because I can hand hold them and there are some nice light weight models. I like the idea of a good spotting scope so I can see into the detail in the brush a mile away. On the other hand when reducing weight you get smaller exit pupils in optics so low light performance suffers. So then is a 62mm-65mm spotter worth the weight vs the compacts? Another thing to consider is maybe going with really high quality 10x binos (save weight vs 15x ) w/tripod and magnification up to 20x on my rifle scope for counting tines, this could eliminate much of the need for a seperate spotting scope. Then there is the option of one optic besides the rifle scope, 15x binos and tripod. A guy can end up with a backpack full of optics and tripods if not careful. With all the experience you guys have, what have you found to be effective and efficient for backpack hunting.

I carry 10x42 Geovid (built-in rangefinder) and if I'm hunting trophy deer I carry a Vortex spotter with a lightweight tripod. If I'm hunting elk or am not too concerned about horn size (depends on unit) then I leave the spotter at home.

A spotting scope, though heavy, can save miles of hiking if you can see well enough to not have to get closer.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom