UHP Trooper Exonerated!

C

ClorideRUS

Just saw on the local news that the UHP found the actions of the trooper that tased the kid in the Basin to have acted within the law. They also admitted that the trooper made mistakes.

So, I'll defer to RELH, Pred and all you other law enforcement types. You were right!

Now, here is the weird part. The biggest concern of the State is all the negative publicity Utah has gotten from this incident. According to reports, there is a whole bunch of people saying they won't come to Utah because of the crazy cops we have.

My question to you MM?ers is: Who?s fault is that? The troopers or the kid that posted the dash cam on the internet?

Think about it!

RUS

Investigators Say Trooper Who Tasered Driver During Utah Traffic Stop Acted 'Reasonably'
11-30-2007 6:03 PM
By BROCK VERGAKIS, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (Associated Press) -- A Utah trooper who used a Taser to subdue a stubborn motorist who was walking away from him during a traffic stop felt threatened and acted reasonably, state officials said Friday.

Trooper Jon Gardner remains on leave, primarily for his safety, after numerous anonymous threats were made against him, said Supt. Lance Davenport of the Utah Highway Patrol.

Gardner twice zapped Jared Massey with a Taser when the driver walked away and refused to sign a speeding ticket on Sept. 14. The incident was recorded on Gardner's dashboard camera. Massey filed a public-records request and posted the video on YouTube, which said it has been viewed more than 1 million times.

"We found that Trooper Gardner's actions were lawful and reasonable under the circumstances," Davenport said at a news conference, joined by Scott Duncan, commissioner of the UHP's parent agency, the Utah Department of Public Safety.

The investigation was conducted by officials in the Department of Public Safety, which oversees the highway patrol. The officials have asked the Utah attorney general's office to also review the case to determine if laws were broken.

Massey was not at the news conference and could not immediately be reached for comment.

The video showed Massey arguing about whether he was exceeding the speed limit on U.S. 40 in eastern Utah. Massey got out and walked to the rear of his vehicle. The trooper pulled out his Taser when the driver tried to return to his seat.

Massey shrieked, fell and said: "Officer, I really don't know what you're doing."

"Face down! Face down! Put your hands behind your back," Gardner said.

When Massey's wife emerged from the passenger side, the trooper ordered her to get back in _ "or you're going to jail, too." Moments later, when another officer arrived, one of them said, "Oh, he took a ride with the Taser."

Davenport said that comment was inappropriate.

Officials said Gardner could have issued the ticket without Massey's signature. The investigation found use of the Taser was justified because Massey had turned his back and put a hand near his pocket, Davenport said.

"For a law-enforcement officer, that is a very, very scary situation," he said.

Nonetheless, the trooper now realizes that other options were available, Davenport said.

The UHP has received thousands of phone calls and e-mails since the video was posted online, many of them critical of the trooper. There also have been online threats against Gardner.

"I think mostly it's people blowing off steam, and that's fine," Sgt. Jeff Nigbur, a UHP spokesman, said Friday before the investigation's conclusions were announced. "But you can't say you're going to endanger somebody's life."

He said there was no evidence that the trooper's life is in danger. Massey has pleaded for the online threats to stop.

Tasers use compressed nitrogen to fire two barbed darts that can penetrate clothing to deliver a 50,000-volt shock to immobilize people.

I rest my case

HEY RUS!!!

THERES SOME CRAZY SOB'S HERE IN THE BASIN!!!

SOME REAL BASINITES TO BE EXACT!!!

WE KNOW YOU'RE A PRO AT RUNNING WARDENS OFF!!!

YOU EVER RUN ANY HI-PO'S OFF???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

RUS

Would the young man( moron) have got the taser if he had obeyed the law?
Will not stop me from coming to Utah or driving through on the way to other destinations.

Ransom

WE KNOW YOU'RE A PRO AT RUNNING WARDENS OFF!!!

YOU EVER RUN ANY HI-PO'S OFF???

For crying out loud! Now I've been profiled .... ZAP!!!! I'M DOIN' THE CHICKEN ... TAKE'N A RIDE ON THE TAZER ... DROOL'N OUTTA BOTH SIDES OF MY MOUTH ....

Thanks BCB!!!

RUS

SEEMS LIKE EVERY FRICKEN TIME YOU RUN A WARDEN OR A HI-PO OFF RUS WE GET ONE MORE UP HERE!!!

"FOR CRYING OUT LOUD"!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

"Will not stop me from coming to Utah or driving through on the way to other destinations."

Mosnar, the only thing that would piss me off is if you didn't stop & say howdy. You can't drive I-15 without passing my double wide! Got me one of those sub-prime deals and up graded from the old 12X50!

RUS

RUS

I usually drive I 80 or US 50. I hope you didn't get the sub-prime from my son in law, he's one of those banker types.
Can you believe Timberhunter? He's just a high school kid. I feel mean now. Bobcat should get the tazer though. He was down right MEAN.

Ransom

I dont agree with there ruleing, haveing been pulled over by this guy, and haveing a few other runins with him, this guy is an A hole. (notice I said this guy not all cops, I have great respect for the profesion) And he was way out of line, if he was threatened in anyway why did he tell him to get out of the car and then casually walk back to his car with his back to him, set his clipboard down and pull his tazer befor he even got all the way back around faceing the driver. Looks to me like he knew what he was going to do when he told him to get out of the car.

Thats my oppinon anyways.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

As soon as he asked him to get out of the car he was being placed under arrest. He was told to turn around and place his hands behind his back. He wouldnt do it and was walking away. Thats when he pulled the taser.

Did he say "get out of the car your under arrest."

I have not herd the tape just saw what was on the news and read what was in the papers, were it gives the diolog of what went on. My computer wont bring up the video to watch, but I feel I have read and seen enough to understand what went on.

After re-reading the artical I see he did tell him to put his hands behind his head, the guy didnt start walking away untill he saw the cop pull what he thought was a gun on him, probly not the best thing to do when a cop pulls a gun on ya but I still feel the officers force was a bit exsessive, and why did he need to taz him a second time when he was already on the ground unable to move from the first go.

I dont feel that Massey handled the situation real well but what he did, didnt justifi getting tazzed. If anything his lack of compliance just shows how out of his ellement he was, I seriously doubt the guy has ever been arrested. still he should have followed orders.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Chloride, I found that wierd as well. I don't really care if they come or not, it's their choice. What concerns me is that the fallout from this one incident just made my life on traffic stops that much more dangerous. I can just COUNT on more confrontations as a result.

Guess none of those NR's were at Trolley Square, huh.

Damn crazy ass cops that day, too bad they stopped the guy in 6 minutes.

Good question to post though!

Oh, and another was killed yesterday. That makes 161.

The members of law enforcement have a very dificult job .When an officer is giving you commands ,you do what they ask you to do .There are other avenues of dealing with the fact you think they are right or wrong outside of doing it during a traffic stop .Sign the ticket ,take it up with the judge.These guys /gals get killed all the time letting their guard down in these situations .Remember after getting a ticket that this could be the person responding to youre call for help when youre life is in danger.

overton!!!

overton!!!

YOU LISTENING???

TH STIRRED IT FROM THE VERY FIRST!!!

POSTED FAKE PICTURES!!!

POSTED SOMEBODYELSES PICTURES!!!

TOLD STORIES THAT WERE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING TRUE!!!

FLAT ASS LIED ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS!!!

HE SAID HE LEARNED A LESSON!!!

I TOLD HIM I HOPED HE STRAIGHTENED HIS ACT UP!!!

THEN WHEN TH POSTED SOME "REAL" PICTURES I RAZZED HIM A LITTLE!!!

I SURE THE HELL WASN'T BEING MEAN!!!

IN FACT I DON'T THINK ANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME GET MEAN???

IF I'D OF CAUGHT ANY OF MY KIDS LIEING & MAKING UP STORIES JUST TO TRY & IMPRESS FELLOW MM'ERS THEY'D OF GOT THEIR ASSES KICKED!!!

YA,FOR ALL YOU JOKERS OUT THERE THAT DON'T BELIEVE IN DISCIPLINE I DO USE IT WHEN NEEDED!!!

HOPE YOU STILL DON'T THINK I'M MEAN overton???

ONLY WHEN I NEED TO BE!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

RE: overton!!!

I found alot of things that were BS about the whole deal. Sure I'm not in the HP's shoes or anything like that but I know that the cop should have been put on probation or somethng. From what I've heard on here the guy is quite the guy anyways. I also thought it was bs how the cops taunted the guy after he was tazed. "How'd that feel buddy?" Just goes to show, the one with the gun is the one in charge. Then again thats just my opinion.

Timberline

Your lucky Bess that they don't taze cats, instead they just use one of these on (unruly feline).

47520d3043fd9349.jpg

Just wanted to put this info out for all you that drive through Washington State. If a Police Officer pulls you over gives you a ticket, you need to sign it. When you don't the officer will arrest you and put you in jail. I worked in a county lock-up as a corrections officer for two years and booked three or four people in for this reason.

Stan

Bobcat

No I really don't think your mean. I think that you thought you were doing what would help the kid the most. I have grandkids so I'm a softy.

Ransom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom