TX scimitar oryx and more...

S

scottyboy

With the looming USFW "rules" coming down the pipe in the immediate future, I decided I had better get one last scimitar hunt under the belt before the door is closed for good.. I've taken a couple in the past, but wanted one more.. The meat and trophy are fantastic.
I put a group of buddies together and we headed back to my hometown in TX. One of my best buds back home owns a place that has a bit to offer in terms of species on his place, so we decided to go there.

We ended up taking 3 trophy bulls that were virtual clones of one another.. All three were 38" on the money. Two of the other guys took cows that were 37" and 39". I also took an old 25" Iranian Red Sheep ram while I was there, and Zac (ADDICT here on MonsterMuleys) zipped an arrow into a great 30" aoudad ram (that was AWESOME watching Zac's arrow zip through the ram at 18yds from our bow stand!!). We also took a couple of axis deer does for meat..

While it's definately not the same hunt as setting up and taking a 40"+ ibex at 14K feet in central Asia (my last hunt 2 months ago), it was still a FANTASTIC time.. For me, it's all about going home and seeing family and friends.. For the rest of the guys I took, it was all about getting to see and hunt TX for the 1st time. All in all, it was a superb time had by all.. Plenty of good heads taken, hot mesquite fires, great eats and cold brews.

My 38" muzzleloader bull..
018edit.jpg

Wild little dudes!! The Iranian Red Sheep herd on this place are WILD! This old ram FINALLY made a mistake at last light and I was able to sneak a sabot into him at 130yds with the smokepole.
098edit.jpg

Here you can see where his horns had begun to rub his cape anytime he turned his head..
088.jpg

------------------
DRSS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom