TX Joining Wildlife Compact

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
AUSTIN, Texas - Game law violators in Texas could face additional consequences for their actions under an interstate agreement recognizing suspension of hunting, fishing and trapping licenses in other states.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved a regulation for Texas to join 31 other states currently participating in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

The Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact is an agreement that unresolved hunting and fishing violations in one state can affect a person's hunting or fishing privileges in other participating states. Any person whose license privileges or rights are suspended in a member state could also be denied future purchase of a license in Texas until they have satisfied suspension in the other state. If a person's hunting, fishing, or trapping rights are suspended in Texas, they may also be suspended in member states as well.

"This cooperative interstate effort will enhance Texas game wardens' ability to protect and manage our wildlife resources," said Maj. David Sinclair, chief of fisheries and wildlife enforcement with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. "If a person plans to hunt, fish, or trap in Texas and they have a license suspension in another state, this compact allows us to deny them a license. The same will hold true for a Texan with a suspended license looking to hunt or fish elsewhere."

The Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact also establishes a process whereby wildlife law violations by a non-resident from a member state are handled as if the person were a resident, meaning they can be served a ticket rather than being arrested, booked, and bonded. This process is a convenience for hunters, fishermen, and trappers of member states, and increases efficiency of game wardens by allowing more time for enforcement duties rather than violator processing procedures.

The concept of a wildlife violator compact was first advanced in the early 1980s by member states in the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. Law enforcement administrators and wildlife commissioners from several states began discussing the idea of a compact based on the format of the existing Drivers License Compact and Non-Resident Violator Compact, both of these related to motor vehicle operator licensing and enforcement.

In 1985 draft compacts were developed independently in Colorado and Nevada. Subsequently, these drafts were merged and the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact was created.

In 1989, compact legislation was passed into law in Colorado, Nevada and Oregon. These three states formed the nucleus of the Compact.

TPWD will be developing policies and procedures, but no timeline has been set for formally joining the Compact.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

that will be some unwelcome news to a select group of Texans.......

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

It really does not matter, from what I see is all the wardens wear the badge, but they truly dont do shi t to poachers. They would rahter be involved in a drug bust than a poaching case! I know first hand that a kid was involved in a poaching case in our area, shooting deer and cutting off heads. Him and his buddies finally got picked up and they really didn't do anything to them. Misdemeanor charges, pidly fine and that is it. I was F-in furious about the deal. I was spotlighting hogs off the wheat around the house one night and he calls and asks what I was doing. I asked him if he was calling to visit or was he serious. I told him I was fine and no poachers were hanging around in our area. This guy is somewhat of a friend too. Calling me almost trying to incriminate me when I am the "neighborhood watch" on all the back roads around our place and the neighbors. I hate poachers and there definitely needs to be stiffer penalties!

If they were picked up, the wardens did their jobs. That's all they can legally do unless they decide to start shooting poachers on sight. The rest is up to the court.

AND...the violator compact DOES make the penalties stiffer if the convicted poacher hunts in other states. It doesn't matter if the infraction was a misdemeanor or a felony. If the penalty includes a license suspension is the key factor.

Also, now that TX will be the 32nd state, it will mean convicted poachers with suspended privileges from the other 31 cannot legally buy a license to hunt in TX.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

It will make a Texan think twice about going to other states and violating game laws. As it has been they always felt they could continue hunting in Texas even if they got busted in Wyoming.

Now they will loose hunting rights in their own home state as well as most of the other western states. I am for the law and would like all states to have it.

RELH

Quote: that will be some unwelcome news to a select group of Texans.......

Sad but very true

It's about time Texas joined the cause.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

>that will be some unwelcome news
>to a select group of
>Texans.......
>

And select groups in every other state on that list........

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You mean if I get popped in Wyoming, I won't be able to hunt in Texas? Oh no......

j/k

Like the song says "God bless Texas"

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

this wouldn't be an issue if we could just give that worthless state back to mexico. there are already more "TEXICANS" living there that it's not worth claiming as USA :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom