Two Way Radios

adamsoa

What's your favorite two way radio? I have a 11 year old (almost 12) daughter who is going to be hunting this year. We'll be doing lots of hiking and scouting. I know there will be times where she is out of my sight but I want her to always have the radio. We also have some other family members who will be around. I'm trying to find a good radio that is rugged and will let us stay in touch.

respect my authorita

I'd recommend the Garmin Rino. It has the built in GPS as well as the radio, so every time you communicate you'll see your partner's location on the map that is built into the device. You can also easily tell it to guide you to the other person. This is invaluable in a hunting situation and it sounds like it would be valuable to you, as well.

You don't need the fancy models - you could go with the 110 or the 120. Search on ebay - i think i picked up a pair for $240.

Well I don't use radio's!
But,
I had a buddy come out a few years ago & he brought radios(Highly Un-ethical by the way)
8,000 Tards all on the same frequency!
One Guy really BS'ing another guy Bragging He'd killed a 38" Buck on the South Slope,the next morning the place he supposedly took this Buck looked like Salt Lake City,We all know there wasn't a 38"er taken but this guy & his radio sure stirred everybody up!
Big Bucks(if there was any on the South Slope) won't tolerate radio's,they can hear radio's for miles!

How bout UBET cell phones?Lol!

She's pushing hard for that cell phone but I'm trying to hold out as long as possible. If I got her one she'd be too busy talking to everyone else and not paying attention to dear old dad. lol

respect my authorita

I hear ya Andy!
Sorry,I'm not much help,
I see your point,
But when I'm hunting all gadgets are left home or turned off.
I think there are some decent radio's out there,but lots of people have them & run on the same frequency.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-10 AT 06:01PM (MST)[p]Got a pair of Midland GXT's (appx $90 a pair from Cabelas) a few years back and they have worked great so far. The only thing is the ear bud thing is a joke including the upgrade more expensive after market buds. Have found that if you just have the radio volume low, you can hear without running everything out of the county. Only turn it on during a designated time (say between 12 and 12:30) and all should be well. No fear of a radio going off just as your getting ready to close the deal.

I throw them in my backpack and we designate a certain time to do a radio check to see when everyone wants to meet back up. Plans change after you split up and you may want to drop over another ridge or two, stay out a bit longer or you may be seeing NO sign and want to move to a different area. Radio's can keep everyone informed of where you are in case something happens, good or bad.

As far as the frequency and lots of chatter thing goes there is a major frequency and a sub-level frequency setting. There is several frequencies for each and setting them is easy. ( I.E. major frequency 1 with sub-frequency 5 or major 15 with sub 52) I have used radios like this for many years and never had trouble with excess chatter from others outside my hunting party, family memberw while snow skiing, at the zoo etc. Many uses.

The way I see it, radio's are only unethical if you use them unethically. They can be a real saftey feature if used right.
Being a father myself, keeping in close touch with my daughter in the woods is not only ethical, but a real good use of radio's.

will the UBET cell phones even work on the south slope?

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

The rhinos are a good idea. I got them a few years ago when my boys were first striking out on their own. They work very well, and as earlier mentioned, the gps feature is very helpful. Teaching the kids how to use a gps isn't such a bad idea either.

Good luck.

Bill

We have been using Marine radios on our hog hunts for some years now, they work great. Midland Nautico is the model we use, they are 5 watt handhelds which is as powerful as you can get for the public. They're not that expensive either....maybe $120 a pair if I remember. Whatever you get just be sure that it is a 5 watt radio.

Garmin rhinos are a good choice due to the radio/gps tracking feature. Not only can you talk with your buddy, you can see their position relative to yours. They do have their limitations, however. As soon as you get some distance and hill or two inbetween you and your partner, they don't work very well. I'd say realistically a 1 to 2 mile limit in mountain country. As was said above, they're only unethical if you use them unethically.

The gray area:
The use of radios unethically as defined by the boone and crockett is the use of electronic communications to aid in the taking of game.

The questions is, what does this blanket statement cover?

If you simply mention to your hunting partner who is perhaps a mile or two off that you ran across some deer in xyz basin, is this too much information to divulge?

If the hunter makes use of this information, does he still not have to hunt for the animals mentioned over the radio? How different is this than if partners were to meet up and exchange the same information?

Now, blatant "guiding" by radio a hunter to game is definitely not ethical according to the above definition.

Garmin Rino 530 HCX is the way to go with your daughter, so you know where she is and more important you will be able to see on hers where you are.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

firemedic has the right idea. We switched to marine radios a couple of years ago. Uniden. The advantage is the re-chargable batteries last for a couple of days even with 5W use. I don't care what anybody says... radios & GPS are a must for safety

Slick

+1 adamsoa

You have your priorities in the right place boss. Your daughter's safety is far more important than spooking a deer or two.

I'd recommend you get the best radio you can afford and then never trust the radio nor your daughters maturity at age 12. Unless your hunting very familiar terrain to your daughter I'd keep a visual for another year or two. Radio or not it's easy for young one's to get disoriented, set the radio on a rock and walk off, then what.

Love the idea of getting her involved early but let her get a couple more years under her belt before you send her around the corner on her own.

None of my business really, it's just me butting my nose in again.

DC

The Garmin Rhinos seem to be a good thing. The guy at Cabelas said the higher end ones (can not remember the model number but they were not cheap)had more powerful radios, 12 miles vs 2 mile for the cheaper ones. Friends who have used them really do like them.

Joe

We used the Garmin Rino 530 HCX last year and they are really good(i just brought one for myself) you can keep track of your whole party(if everyone has one) It will even tell ya if your to close to the state line. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom