Tushar Mt. Goat viewing cancelled

M

mulemanrack

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-11 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Just talked to a DWR officer out of the Cedar City office today and he told me that they were canceling the goat viewing on the Tushar's this year. He told me that the road up on top has been washed out up by Poison Springs and probably wont be fixed until next year. He talked about some gate being closed up above Big Johns Flat, (I'm not familiar with this area). He didn't know if you could make it up on top with wheelers or not. Just wondering if someone that has been down there can share any info. Wife has that goat tag down there this year,(story of my life).

Most people access the goats off the Big John flat road. If you can get out that road it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

That's the problem....The slide that wiped out the road is just above Big John Flat,(Poison Springs area). Forest Service says the road probably wont be fixed or passable until next year and they will probably keep that gate closed above the flat. I was wondering if I would still be able to access the communication towers by going up the Marysvale side up Beaver Creek road? Just not familiar with the area. Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-11 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]Hey Muleman!
I am sure shadowhunter (Randy J) would know about the Marysvale side. I have contact information for him if you want to give me a buzz. Good luck on your scouting for the MRS.

I was in marysvale the last two weekends and the gate is still closed up beaver creek. how are you and your wife planning on hunting this? do you have wheelers to scout from? or horses maybe? if it where my tag i wouldnt be too nervous. i watched 15-20 goats that where very accesible if you had a wheeler and then could do a some walkin after that. pm me i'll fill ya in.

Hey Rick,
I've been in contact with Randy for a couple of months now. What a great guy. I'll give him another call for the current updates. Two more weeks and Spencer will be flipping sticks at his Wasatch Bull.....good luck!

talked with a forest service person today, and they said they do not think the gates will be open this year, but that is not for sure. Both the gate at poison creek above big johns and the gate in Beaver creek are still locked, and for now, will stay locked. Mt. Holly will still have numerous goats on it, and you can access it behind puffer lake. You are going to be in for a hike.

Does anyone know if you can still get ATV's around either of those gates? Or, are they closed to all motorized vehicles?

Thanks,

copple2

I would bet that there will be people in there on ATV's. sometimes it is the ones that keep the rules that have the disadvantage.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom