Turtle hunt?

A WORD FROM YOUR PRESIDENT

Congratulations are in order to all the fine turtle hunters who contributed to this post! Thank you for all the invaluable turtle hunting imformation. And thank you for all the laughs. You truely made this winter more bearable, for me at least!

A special thanks to 264Mag for being such a good sport!

Thanks to Founder for allowing us the freedom (and space) to put it together.

Most importantly, I feel like all you people are in some way friends, even though we may never meet.(NO GROUP HUGS!!!! Turtle hunters are way too manly and mature for such childish behavior)

Who knows how long this post will last? So many turtles......so little time.

Steve, Pres. NTHA

HOLY HELL, IT BROKE 400!!!

i hope all you goofy b@$+@rds are happy with the monster you created here. congrats to YukonDall on getting number 400.

i'm going turtle hunting this weekend. first hunt of the season, assuming it doesn't rain. i'm gonna have so many turtle hunting photos that i'll bring this thread to 500 by myself if i have to.

Kyle - President, Brotherhood of Turtle Hunters (i wanted to be president of something)

Krusty.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-05 AT 08:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-05 AT 08:28?PM (MST)

WELL SAID MR. PRESIDENT, IT DID GET US THROUGH A LONG WINTER. NO GROUP HUGS IS A SWELL IDEA, AND I'AM DAM TIRED HEARING ABOUT TURTLES. I REALLY WANT TO HERE MORE ABOUT CHIMPS WHO NEED THERE BUTTS KICKED. ...YD.

264Mag,

Good luck this week-end! We will all be with you in spirit. Take lots of pictures but remember, no Blaze Orange and no turtle tongues hanging out!

Steve

I ran across this old photo today, but couldn't find out any of the details. Anybody out there in MM land recognize it? Is that 264Magnum there in the stands?

4232748b7245ab02.jpg

eelgrass....where did you find that photo ? cuz thats ME.. in my younger days... boy that brings back memories ...I still have the scars from being thrown and mauled by one of those "Raging" turtles. Starting to get flash backs.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

kilbuc....I got that picture off a web site about Americas bravest heros. You have our utmost admiration and respect! You should write a book, or at least be on the Larry King Show.

Steve

lol. great pic eelgrass.

kilbuc, you've just displaced capstick as my official hero.

Krusty.jpg

went out this morning by myself with just my .45. everyone that usually goes with me was either sick, out of town or had to work. i only shot at the ones that were within about 20 yards and managed to get three confirmed kills.

and i got a skunk that thought he was gonna sneak up on me.

Krusty.jpg

264 magnum your a brave man -- or you have a death wish, to go at it alone/ ya know it's taking a damn long time for this thread to load on my computer now days-- any reason why?: RIMROCK

<IF IT BLEEDS WE CAN KILL IT>

20 YRDS! don't lead much do you killer?
I shot a skunk (at 70 yrds)with a hot 7mm that my cousin's owns and loads and it dam near viporized the whole thing!
A cloud of blue green stuff was all I saw for about 15 sec!
I only found a head and a tail with a small chunk of thigh on
it.
jack

i like tempting fate.

the skunk was about 3 steps away from me. i heard some grass crunch behind me, when i turned around it was walking towards me and getting closer. a 200 grain +p gold dot halted the charge pretty quick.

Krusty.jpg

as soon as someone's around who can go with me to take pictures. i kinda got shafted last weekend, gonna try again this weekend.

Krusty.jpg

HEY EEL, MOOSIE WAS TRYIN TO THUMP ON YA...I COVERED YOUR BACKSIDE. I POKED HIM IN THE EYE, AND SENT HIM BACK TO HIS SORRY LITTLE SITE. ITS ON LONGEST POST 2,GH. ... YD.

Geez that Moosie #2 thread is brutal.I felt like I was getting MY butt kicked for just reading the post! But anyway if I was more of a bookie I would be giving odds.
So who is the badest a$$ on Moosie #2??
If you are going to dance on thin ice you better now how to swim!
:RIMROCK

WELL

IF YOU BELIEVE IN WANNA-BE'S MAYBE YOU CAN LOSE YOUR MONEY BY PLACING A BET ON c'ASS BEING THE BADDEST ASS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat NOT TOLLERATING THE WANNA-BE WUSSIES!!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]BOBCATBESS

Hi how's it going? No sir,I would not ever bet against the local
muscle! no-sir-E-BOB-- never know when I might find myself hunting sheds up above White Rocks and on the way home have to stop at the Tradin'post -(7-11)-to get a slurpee.I don't think Cass would be there to go back to back with.(To punch our way out.)
You know, kinda like you see in the real good old western movies.
All I can say is to dry your eyes, wipe your nose and hold your chin up. I'll be your pal. :RIMROCK

And the race is on. Moosie's two topics together, combined will probably beat out this one soon if traffic continues. By the way, who locked up his first post? Moosie does'nt sound too happy about that.

NO NO NO, TWO POST COMBINE AINT GONNA CUT IT,ITS GOTTA BE ONE ORIGINAL ONE TOPIC POST. WHAT HE HAS NOW IS JUST AN OPEN FORUM TO TALK WITH A BUNCH OF TOPICS... MOSTLY A CAT FIGHT. HE HAS TO START OVER WITH ONE TOPIC.

RIMROCK

ITS GOING ABOUT AVERAGE I GUESS!!!

I GO TO WORK,I COME HOME,I LOG IN TO SEE WHO'S BEEN RUNNING THEIR MOUTH BEHIND MY BACK!!!

NO,I'M NOT MAD AT YOU,I'M REFERRING TO A COUPLE OTHERS!!!

YOU BEEN UP WHITE ROCKS CANYON LATELY???

THE ONLY bobcat!!!

I got my Box Turtle back from the taxidermist yesterday. What do you think? He looked a lot meaner when I shot him
423d910013ace7cc.jpg

With the mouth closed doesn't show the dripping blood off the fangs. Taxiderms generally only show the turtle in the full aggressive mode when mounted upright on 2 legs.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL THE TURTLE HUNTERS, MAY YOU AND THIS THREAD LIVE FOREVER. AFTER A FEW BREWSKI'S THATS THE BEST I COULD DO. HAPPY HUNTING....... YD.

Hey 264MAG,

Just wondering where the pics of your monster turtle hunt are?

Long live the Turtle post

Has anyone even heard from 264mag,he has been going at it alone lately,hope he dosen't end up turtle chit!:RIMROCK

I sent 264Mag an e-mail. Told him we were concerned for his where abouts. He should check in.

I sent him a deposit for a turtle hunt so he's probably hittin the Crown pretty hard till the money is gone!

Steve, Pres. NTHA

HEY STEVE, ER PRES. WHERE YOU GOIN HUNTIN THIS YEAR??? LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GET YOUR SCABBARD, BETCHA LOVE IT. I'M STOKED FOR HUNTING IN 2005 CANT WAIT. IN FACT I HAVN'T, KILLED THE 2ND BIGGEST HOG OF MY LIFE LAST FRIDAY. TEETH ALMOST 4 INCHES, AND A BIG HOSS. HAD TO GO BACK IN ON QUAD TO GET HIM OUT. I LOVE HOG HUNTIN... ALSO CALL YOTES..PICKUP A FEW SHEDS, AND CUT A LOAD OF FIRE WOOD.. MAKES A GREAT DAY. YOU TAKE ER EASY.. YD. (NEXT IS A DIGITAL CAMERA, I GOTTA START PUTTIN UP PICS).

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, JUST MAKES YA YEARN FOR THE GOOD OLE DAYS HUH. YOU STILL DRINKIN CROWN ROYAL??? JUST RECENTLY FOUND OUT HOW SMOOTH THAT STUFF REALLY IS. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

Haven't had a shot of Crown in a while but if you like it, you may consider Crown Royal Reserve, NOW THAT STUFF IS GOOD!!!!BTW , suckin up a cold Bud Ice currently.

Its on life support!
Funny I was just thinking, A FNG(new hire in detail) has a nickname and its "TURTLE"!
I was walking the dogs and saw a few "turtles" in pond(yearlings)!
Was at the pet suppy store and the just got a new shipment of "turtles"(must be a sale comming)!The spring has spung and their back and every where....summer is gonna be great!
RACK

Indeed, summer is just around the corner here, we are heading out this weekend to my budies cabin and next weekend to my other buddies property. Gonna finally get back into the woods !!! Maybe i will take some Crown with me to celebrate........ Been while since I have had a good shot of Crown.
Then again , if I take the Crown , then the guns stay home HHHMMMMMMMMM

I talked to 264Mag recently. He is busy starting a new business and also moderating on another site somewhere out there in cyber space.

I too have recently discovered the joys of Crown Royal! Here's to 264Mag and turtle hunters everywhere!

Steve, Pres. NTHA

Speaking of Crown...
enjoyed one myself last Sunday at
the Alan Jackson concert...
....mmmmmmmmm....Sara Evans was there too.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

LAST EDITED ON May-20-05 AT 05:55AM (MST)[p]NBJB.... EVER WONDER WHY YOUR LIKE A SKUNK AT A LAWN PARTY ON THIS SITE??? THE POST IS OK, BUT WERE THINKIN OF SHOOTIN YOU IN THE BUTT WITH A DART...AND RELOCATING YOU TO THAT OTHER DINKYDOG HUNTING SITE. YOUR NOT A MODERATOR, JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX. NO BLOOD, NO FOUL. YD.

hey guys..recently i had both my knees operated on and i've had a lot time to think of new stratagies on calling in huge green backs, ALright this is what i found out

For bait or a lure i used a good mixture of tuna and clam mix added to some quality moulched spam... after setting that out in the open for about about an hour I began slamming two hard hats together to represent either tow turtles humping or two green backs fighting.. either way it did the trick!!

I had turtles comin' in like Jarred on a subway i'll tell you what!

WOW, SLAMMIN TWO HARD HATS TOGETHER IS A RUT TACTIC..NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. WELCOME TO THE CLUB, WE COULD USE A MAN LIKE YOU. TAKE CARE OF THOSE KNEES. YD.

mossfront,
That does sound like a deadly combination alright. What big 'ol bull turtle could resist that?

Be careful hunting them with bad knees though. You never know when you might have to make a run for it!:)

Steve

alright i think i have found somewthing new... the other day i was out walkin and found some unusual markings on the side of tree, the more closly i looked at the markings, the more i began to realize that they were god damn turtle bite marks. Not only were they bite marks but they were atleast five feet in th air and there was more higher up! I could not believe what i was seeing! It blew my mind! These damn turtles are somethin else aren't they, i guess what im trying to say is...next time you fellors are out 'n about you keep a sharp eye on those trees that drift above your head, you never know when an enraged greenback might lunge out of a tree and latch onto your juggler!...BE CAREFUL out there ya here!

PS: these might bring in a new way to hunt these magnificent creatures...DOGS! i'm sure one could train an African Yelping Pug to bare down on one...

MF

Longest post? HEHEHEHEHEH. watch out for the new one . Where is the director of field operations? haven't heard from him in a while, hope he has a new b and c turtle in the bag by now

I just received an e-mail from 264Mag's brother. For those of you who don't know, 264Magnum is (or was) our director of field operations, NTHA.

It seems 264Mag left on a turtle hunt with a client, a lawyer from Texas, on May 15, and hasn't been heard from since. They were hunting in GM Unit 61 in Oklahoma. As you may know, Unit 61 is famous for it's B&C Box Turtles.

A search party was dispatched on May 25 when they were 3 days over due. The search team believes they located their main camp, as evidenced by 7 empty Crown Royal bottles, but no other signs of life.

If the unthinkable has happened, and they were taken by a Box Turtle, there won't be much left to find......let's hope for the best.I will keep you posted, as I learn more.

264Magnum......where are you?

Steve, Pres. NTHA

WE had a receipt come in for the $80,000.00 governors tag.
Where is the money..where is 264 magnum.Club dues are looking alittle scarce:RIMROCK

WTF, WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER THAT TO LET CROWN ROYAL SPONSOR HIS HUNTS. INVESTIGATION IS PENDING, STEVE KEEP US POSTED. YD.

RIMROCK338,

Thanks for the update on our financial situation. Wow, an $80,000 deficit? This is not good. Membership must be lagging?

Hey RIM? Could you do me a personal favor and cover that bill out of your own pocket?

I just want you to know how much we appriciate your endless effort and faithful devotion to the sometimes thankless job as Treasurer of NTHA. Besides, I sure would hate to have to turn that tag back in!

Thanks Bro!

Steve, Pres. NTHA

eelgrass:
No problem--I'll cover it, but I was thinking about drumming up a few sponsors, hmmm--Ford and Crown Royal. Maybe eelgrass dressed in drag, doing Crown shooters, riding a big snapper bare back in the back of a flaming pink F-350. What a picture for a new add campaign!

:RIMROCK

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-05 AT 12:55PM (MST)[p]It might take quite a bit of Crown Royal but........I'LL DO IT! For the team, and to keep the ship afloat! LOL

On second thought......maybe I could cut expenses a little......say by $80,000

That's why we have RIMROCK as Treasurer. He forces us to make the tough decisions!

eelgrass;
There was a thread going on that got nuked.. about Boneadict(I'm not sure of the sp. but you know who I mean)he had dogs killing his chickens.You think if he let a few Red Line Razor Backs loose
in his farm yard they would take care of the stray dogs or do you think they would eat chickens,coup and all?:RIMROCK

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-05 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]RIMROCK,
I don't know why that post was nuked. I thought Bone was getting a lot of friendly helpful advise, and encouragement. LOL

In answer to your question, that's actually a very good idea. The Red Line Razorback is actually one of the more intelligent turtles, as you know. They should be trainable. I hear they're good with kids also. They might be a little TOO protective though. I know if I lived in the neighborhood my dog would be on a very short leash!

My wife just reminded me of this older couple we know who used to have a pair of Red Line Razorbacks. After they retired they had to choose between turtle food and medicine, so the turtles had to go. Their house was one of the few in their area that wasn't burglerized. It was costing them about $20 a day for turtle food. Pretty sad, if you ask me!

Turtles don't get near the respect that they deserve. Hopefully some day that will change!..........

Steve

As Pres. NTHA, I wanted my fellow MM turtle hunters to be the first to know.

DEADLY TORTISE ATTACK

TULSA, OKLAHOMA:
Two men were killed and three wounded last Tuesday, in what is being called the deadliest turtle attack in recent history, just east of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, along the Illinois River.

According to Sheriff BillyJoe "leatherback" Walton, who surveyed the grizzly scene, "Both the turtle and the unfortunate victims put up a hell of a fight". The turtle, a medium sized Southern Swamp Turtle, estimated at 650lbs., attacked the unsuspecting men as they were fishing from the banks of the Illinois River.

The turtle died as a result of multiple gun shot wounds, some of which appeared to be from a previous incident. All 5 men were armed, which is why 3 of the men, although severely injured, survived the attack.

The names of the two men who were killed have not been released pending notification of next of kin. The three survivors were in a state of shock and unable to provide much information.

(Now this is where the story really gets interesting!)

The turtle was cut open to see if there were any other victims. All that was found was a camera that was amazingly in good shape.

Below is 3 images taken from the camera. None of the individuals in the photos matches any of the latest victims. The only other clue was the phrase "264Magnum" engraved on the camera!

Authorities are asking anybody who might recognize the persons to contact the Cherokee County Sheriff's Dept. at 555-8861.

42d6da5162e64d50.jpg

42d6da986366523c.jpg

42d6dada63d671b8.jpg

Well, there you have it folks. We can't be certain of course, but it looks like 264Magnum may be history! He is one tough hombre, so we must hold out hope that he is still out there somewhere.

Steve

eelgrass
Thanks for the press release!I would have them do a test on the inerds
of the turtle to see if it is running a hight content of
Crown Royal that may give a clue to 264 magnums where-abouts!:RIMROCK

It may be suggested to do DNA test's on the turtles' feces to determine if our Field Director of Operations has finally succumbed to the most admirable of game animals..........

I can't tell if its a Missisippi Bluegum or La(not gonna try to sp it) swampback!
rack

I don't know but he's looking at that hippo like it might be lunch!///Dumb hippo!!::RIMROCK

I could be wrong, but I think I found it in a book. That turtle closly resembles the Zambian Lagoon Turtle. Known locally as "Mnogobo", roughly translated to mean "Green Death"

It says they feed "Primarily on Hippo's, Rhino's, Crocodiles, and Cape Buffalo".

It seems to fit alright......

Steve

While patiently waiting for my turtle hunt next month, I decided to do a little research on turtle hunting. I ran across this picture that was done around 1650, I think this hunt took place in Cuba. No guns back then! They sure have my respect!

Steve

43481c5c2d21bc91.jpg

Steve,
You need to get going and get over the border and head to Elko, you are going stir crazy. LOL See you in 7 days.

Brian

YD, I am a sick puppy. I just can't seem to let it go! LOL I leave next Friday, Oct.15. Kilowatt and I are hoping to meet up over there, at least for dinner at the Star Hotel in Elko. Good luck next month in Colorado!

Steve

WELL STEVE TIP OVER A BIGGIN, AND HAVE A GOOD TIME. GONNA HAVE DINNER WITH KILOWATT, COOL/ I BET HES A REAL GOOD GUY. TAKE SOME PICS FOR SURE, AND NO DINKS. TALK TO YA WHEN YOU GET HOME. YD.

Way to be Rack bringing the old charter together again.Life is going by so fast sometimes we forget some of the smaller pleasures in life like the NWTHF..eelgrass you have a great hunt,
if you were heading a bit further East I'd be up for meeting ya to chew on a steak.I heard there are some mean snappers to hunt between Elko and Wendover:RIMROCK

RIMROCK; Sounds like you would know where the snappers would be and what bait works best!! Hey Kilowatt and eelgrass best of luck to you guys in NV. Passing thru the 16th to hunt Wyoming.

RUTTROE,

Thank you, and good luck on your Wyoming hunt. We hope to see some pictures, like your X zone hunt.

You're right, RIMROCK is also the National Turtle Hunters Association's (NTHA) Secretary/Treasurer. He is the watchdog who keeps us financially afloat.

Our Director of Field Operations, 264Magnum, we think was tragically lost on a turtle hunt last Spring. See details on an earlier post above.

And welcome to MM!

Steve

RUTTROE, Ya, I have heard of the place but havn't been MAN enough
to venture in,( head hanging in shame).Some place near deep Wells"
call Donor's or something like that.The tale is, you use big fists
full of green backs as bait!
Steve I'm still working on getting a pic of 264 magnum posted on milk cartons or do you think we should just contact Crown Royal to put a message on- or -in every bottle.:RIMROCK

BFE,
Do like I just done two days ago if it is available to you, get Broadlink, should have done it before. Is was cheaper than buying a new computer with more Megs so I could get Comcast. Where I live I only had two options and this is so quick.

Brian

My 2005 turtle hunt has mercifully come to an end! If you remember, I won a free guided turtle hunt at the annual WTF banquet/car show/quilting demonstration.

After much anticipation and the long wait, the time had finally arrived. As you can see in the first picture, despite the unusually warm weather, my guides are in high spirits! They are all young guys fit and ready for the adventure.

4380ab3569b2ac36.jpg

We loaded up the horses and the quads and all our gear and headed to base camp at the edge of the Yolla Bolly Wilderness. After setting up camp it was time for a little scouting close to camp. We found this turtle just before dark. Not quite what I was looking for, but a good one for sure!

4380ad2f6cdd4267.jpg

Opening morning we didn't spot a single turtle! That afternoon, because of the warm weather, we decided to hunt close to camp. One of the guys found this little turtle. We quickly put it back before it's mother discovered it missing!

4380af0c6f1d4dfe.jpg

Right after that one of the guys was able to catch this turtle. He was able to actually run it down! We figured because it was a smoker, it couldn't run very far! We also figured smoking had stunted it's growth!

4380aff77016e444.jpg

The next day we found a good turtle that had us pegged at 300 yards. It decided it had enough and took off running. My guide wanted me to shoot before it could head over the hill. I wasn't sure if it was big enough, and didn't feel ethically correct in trying the shot so I passed. That's when things started to get tense. My guide was not happy. I had a quiet dinner and a restless nights sleep that night.

The next morning, instead of saddling the horses, the guides were gassing up the quads. Over breakfast I was told the plan was to ride to a remote basin that was sure to hold a record book turtle. It was at the far corner of the wilderness area, too far for the horses. Well we all know quads aren't allowed in the wilderness! They said nobody would be around this time of year, not to worry. I wasn't worried about BOBCATBESS because I know he lives in Utah, but I'm not sure where Zigga lives, or some of the others. I wasn't looking for a high altitude tune-up by anybody! And besides it's wrong, so I refused to go!

At this point I figure my dream hunt is over. After about an hour of sulking, my guide said he had one more spot that he was sure I would like, and we could get a good turtle. Here is a picture of the spot!

4380b87878e5a8fd.jpg

I couldn't believe it! A high fence turtle hunt! After almost puking, I told them to take me back to my truck, the hunt is over! Here was my guides reaction!

4380b9d17a512aa1.jpg

I made it home OK, but highly dissapointed as you can imagine. I wonder if I'll ever live long enough to get my turtle?

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-05 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p] ETHICS ARE A HUGH PART OF ANY HUNT, GOOD CALL STEVE. DONT SWEAT BOBCATBESS AND THE QUAD THING THOUGH, YOU HAVE INSURARCE/ PLUS YOU CAN ALWAYS RETURN FIRE. LOL/ JUST KIDDIN. YD.

Why isn't anyones pics showing up,I'm just getting a box with a x in it,HELP :RIMROCK

Does anyone know of an acurate closeup turtle range finder that I could get for christmas. 3 years ago I had a general turtle archery tag and the last day I had one coming right towards me at 8 feet (so I thought) To make a long story short my piece of crap range finder was locked onto its tail at 8 feet instead of his head at 6 feet. Well I missed because the tail lined up directly behind its head. I guess I should have never attemted a straight on shot. The good news is that last year I finally drew a Monroe tag and ended up shooting a turtle quartering away that was so big I had to go to my toolbox and if you don't believe me you can ask my best friend's cousin's uncle who lives in California. He'll tell ya. :)

This thread is the longest and has some clever and creative minds and is the NUMBER 1 in my opinion and only shy a few posts of 500.
And it was all on account of a Chinese man hunting Brants and catching a Snapping Turtle that was hung up in Eelgrass...LOL Sorry Steve, just had to say it, don't shoot me this is still the KING.

Brian

I am very proud to be a member of MM and deeply appriciate the friendships that have been created on this thread and throughout MM land. I am thankful to be a small part of it!

There is some wonderful talent around here. Some of you people should be writers for comedy shows! I'm serious!

Thanks, everyone!

Steve,
Pres. NTHA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom