Turkeys and Peacocks

RELH

Long Time Member
This morning I was working in the knife shop when I happen to look out the window on the West side of the shop. I counted 37 turkeys within 20 feet of the shop building. In those 37 birds were 4 birds that had the head crown bright feathers of a Peacock and the neck feathers were the bright blue peacock feathers.
The wing and tail feathers were the striped brown feathers of a turkey indicating the turkeys and peacocks are inter-breeding. I guess we will have to call them "Turcocks". It seems the turkeys know that Thanksgiving and Christmas is over and they are safe on becoming the main attraction at dinner.

RELH

My camera was in the house and when I walked out of the shop to get it, they split real fast.
Eel, I thought I was coming with the original name, "Turcock", but after posting my thread I found your old thread from 2015 where you came up with the name "Turcock". Don't sue me for copy right infringement.
RELH

Half Breed turkey

Search the above title and you will see a picture of a crossbreed turkey-peacock that Eel posted in 2015 taken by his brother in the area I live.
RELH

I live in Santa Rosa. Not sure where you are. Around here I have seen peacocks running with turkeys, bearded hens, and what I call semi-albinos. Never seen them cross breed yet, but I guess anything is possible. The one eel’s brother posted looks like a young female peacock to me.
Bill

Everybody involved is dead now except me so I guess I can tell the story.

My father-in-law worked on a 1200 acre ranch just outside of town. The ranch owner had some tame peacocks that his wife got. They turned kind of wild but stuck around the ranch house. They were very noisy and dirty and Art, the ranch owner hated them. They roosted in the trees around the house.

Him and his wife were going on a month vacation and he asked my FIL to "get rid" of the peacocks while they were gone. So we did. One morning about daylight while they were still roosting we wiped out the whole flock. About a dozen.

We were headed back to town and we remembered we forgot to pick up all our empties so we had to go back and clean up all the evidence. We laughed about that for years.

I guess Art's wife was heartbroken.

We don't even want to go there, do we???

1D1E4E2B-FD3F-44DF-B89F-F1E0F138FCF2.jpeg

The four Turcocks I saw had the bright blue neck feathers and had the crown feathers on top of the head that male peacocks have. I have seen young female peacocks and these 4 birds were far different in coloration.
RELH

Back When We Had Junk-Yards around!

And when the Owner of the Junk-Yard was Alive & still Around!

He was always Trying to Breed His own Breeds!

Swear To God Homer He Had a Cluck!

Weird Looking Damn Thing!

Gave You a Feeling of:

This Ssshittt just Ain't Right!

Wished He was Still Alive & I could Ask Him Exactly what the cross was?

You Know!

Kinda Like some of these Modern Day Humans You See!

Just Not Right!

Pretty well agreed on by biologists that they can't, but who knows? I do know they will screw the crap out of any hen that lets them!!

Female peacock (peahen).

31F8E1BD-9F9D-4FA9-9D21-EC08AF6E6501_1_201_a.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom