Turkey question

C

coyote456

so ive been out looking for gobblers for 3 weeks now seen a bunch the first week than they vanished and ever sense than seen a couple jakes with little to none talking. The hunts a week away with no luck at finding any of the birds ive seen so my question is does anyone else with a LE tag have the same problems with the birds not talking and what are you doing to get them to gobble?

Do you have any areas that you figure are where they roost and are you out a tad before daylight to hear them before they come off the roost? Sometimes they can be very quiet on anf off the roost and the next day even though the weather is the same they will gobble their heads off.

'You' won't/can't do anything to pull them in if the time isn't right!

Sure you can make them Gobble,doesn't mean he's comming in close enough to get a shot though!

Kinda like hunting Elk,Timing is everything!

This time of year they really move around alot!

Doesn't take much to Spook them either,last year I seen a Guy Blowing his Call out the Truck Window right before season,real smart there!

Weather is a Big Factor on when the Strut will take place!

My advice is:

Keep at it every chance you get & never give up!

Good Luck & hope to see a Pic in a couple weeks!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

The gobs are probably henned up right now and when this happens alot of the time they wont gobble except a little on the roost. If you can find them roosting or know where they have been roosting more than likely their still in the same area. Ive found when this happens your best chance is to be where their going to be and ambush them. After most of the hens are bred and sitting on their nests is when the gobbling picks back up and the fun hunting begins. Id say another week or two and they will be alot more responsive and willing to come to the calls more.
The youth season opened up in Idaho today and my son shot a nice big tom this morning and he never gobbled on or off the roost. We watched him for 2 days and he only gobbled a few times but he strutted all day long and kept his 10 hens real close. The jakes seem to be more responsive to the calls but more than likely they will come in silent.Good luck and I hope you get a nice one.

Let me offer you a tip on killing toms. Your best time to be in the field if you want to KILL a tom, is from about 10:00 in the morning until quitting time. Here in California, we can hunt until 4:00 PM, and some of my best birds have been shot after 2:00.

First thing in the morning is exciting with birds gobbling on the roost and at flydown. However, when toms are with hens, you will find them very difficult to kill from shortly after flydown until around 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning. Once the hens wander off to their nests, those toms get lonely and start wandering around looking for a little love. Mid-day is the time to kill them.

I killed a nice tom yesterday, about 20 or 30 minutes after they flew down, but it was sorta an exception to the rule. I had 6 nice toms strutting for a large group of hens, and since the grass and brush was kinda high, I was able to belly crawl into range and killed a nice bird. I had a lady friend out with me, and it was a great morning as she got to hear a ton of gobbling on the roost, and we were able to watch several big toms strutting on their roost limbs. We got to watch about 15 birds fly down and land a little ways out of range. When I determined that they were feeding away from me, thats when I made my sneak to kill one of the toms. I'm betting he's the only bird I kill this season before 9:00.

Very true CA! I've taken many more birds from late morning all the way until closing time late in the evening than off the roost. The Toms I've taken or called in for others off the roost was because they weren't right woth the hens. We were able to get betweeen them and the hens and call them in before they found the hens. If you can't do that, then it's a waiting game until the hens head for their nests later in the morning.

One thing that turkeys will do is follow the snow line up if you live in an area with snow. They get the acorns and the fresh green that is growing. I have seen them follow to the 8000 foot level then turn around and start back down.

>One thing that turkeys will do
>is follow the snow line
>up if you live in
>an area with snow.
>They get the acorns and
>the fresh green that is
>growing. I have seen
>them follow to the 8000
>foot level then turn around
>and start back down.

I have only been to UT once to spring turkey hunt and the gobblers were definitely following the receding snow line in La Sal unit. Seemed they were finding lots of insects and drinking from puddles from the snow melt.

I second the advice to take the hunt to the turkeys. "Run and Gun" to close the gap rather than try to pull in a turkey from 100s of yards away. I also use a blind set up some days and find some gobblers come in slow and quiet after you stop calling.

If you are lucky enough to be out when the gobblers are gobbling lots then try using two calls at once so sound like a group of hens. I even have used a gobbler call but only on private land where am comfortable grand daddy with his cataracts will not mistake me for gobbler. I would never use a gobbler call on public land.

Good luck.

Well!

Following the Snow line back is True for most Merriams!

We have Both Merriams & Rio Grandes,Rio's don't move as much!

Most of Our Birds are Cross-Breeds now AKA Merio's!

Outdoors,you'd best put your Elk Calls away too!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

Thanks guys for all the info i really do appreciate it and ill do my best to put one on the ground this weekend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom