Turkey Hatch?

CHWino_1

I'm not a big turkey hunter but always keep my eye out for all wildlife around me. I also work at a vineyard where I see lots of deer and turkeys. I've only seen one batch of chicks so far this year. I was seeing lots of ravens packing and eating eggs earlier in the spring, but can't imagine they wiped them all out. There didn't seem to be any weird rain event either. What are you guys seeing out there?

On my trip down below a couple weeks ago, i stayed over and visited at my ol Hunting Pards cabin up Mines rd outa Livermore. Regaurdless of the noise and shooting going on earlier, the turkeys come in during the evenings and roost in the pine trees around his Cabin. The next morning, i found that i had parked in the wrong spot as the turkeys must have been using my windshield and hood for discharge target practice. My truck was blasted!

Anyway, after climbing from my pop-up camper in the morning, i noticed a hen right near my front bumper. She had 5 or 6 little ones with her and by little ones, i mean they were VERY little, similar to young quail. I was amazed to see how small those chicks were considering the size of the Mother. Momma worked her way up threw the sage on the hillside and those chicks in their stop and go motions, followed right along. That's it, all i got!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I am not seeing any chicks yet, but I am not seeing the hens either. This tells me that they are around, but staying in the brush to keep their young hidden. Until I see a good number of hens without chicks, I have no reason to expect poor recruitment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom