TSA lock on rifle case?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
I will be flying with a rifle this fall for the first time in years. I know the regs have tightened and have had friends have problems when flying with guns.

So, do you use a TSA lock on your gun case? By a TSA lock, I mean one that has a special code so the TSA agents can unlock it after you leave if they choose to.

One person told me to only use the TSA locks on luggage, but never on a gun case. You are there while they check out the gun before you lock it, and after they approve it, they don't have the right to unlock it again unless you are there. Sounds reasonable to me, but just wanted to know what others are doing

Also, I can find no gun case that is less than the 62" that "luggage" can not exceed (length + width + height) but there seems to be an exception with "sporting equipment?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have flown numerous times with my large rifle case and have only had to pay the excess baggage fee once. The lady was pretty rude as well. No doubt an anti.

Flying with a firearm is super inconsistent and varies by airline, city/airport, and personnel working with the airline and TSA.

Be prepared to be thrown some curveballs.

Dax

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-16 AT 06:35AM (MST)[p]I never use a TSA lock on my firearms and I fly an average of 3 trips a year with firearms. I have never been charged for oversize luggage on my gunbox. But I agree with others here that TSA people are prone to making up a little of this and a little of that as they see fit so be prepared. I have never encountered anything at an American airport that kept me from getting to my destination. Hassles sure but no insurmountable obstacles.

If you are leaving the country with the weapon be sure you have obtained a US 4457 form from customs and border protection.

Good luck

yes I agree I have the cabelas metal gun case with wheels (very handy) when going through customs and hauling your other bags through the long lines.
In SF International I had a TSA agent look at my gun and ask where the thingy was? I said thingy what thingy and he said you know the thing that goes into your gun? I said the bolt and he said yes if that is what you call it. So a lot of them don't know one end from the other and that explains why the stupid stuff they say and do.
I agree with the lock that it is yours only and you only have that key so it won't be opened by anyone else. And don't make the mistake of leaving a few bullets in the case with your gun by mistake this will raise a few hairs and them all excited. In New Mexico my buddy left one of his knives in his backpack by mistake and when we went through the gate check they found it. In SF they would have called the dogs out but in New Mexico they simply took him back to the gate and recalled his luggage and let him put it inside. Every state is different

+1 on above comments. I think you are actually required to sign a form stating you are only person with key (been a couple years, may not be correct...)

Just give yourself even extra time to ensure you catch your flight. Good luck on your trip we leave for AK soon too :D
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I flew to AK in May using Alaska Airlines. I used some TSA approved locks and the TSA agent asked me why I spent the money on the locks because they were not needed. They had me unlock and open the case. They went through the padding and made sure all guns were unloaded and Ammo was properly stored. Ammo, if stored in the manufacturers box or a box designed for ammo (like we reloaders use), can be stored in the same case.

I had the PLANO extra long hard sided gun case with internal locks on the hinges. The TSA supervisor stated those locks were good enough and that they verify once that the gun is ready to go and once locked they do not cut or force anything open.

Good luck and don't fret too much about traveling with a gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom