Trout creek rifle buck tag

BCS

My 12 year old son drew this tag. Obviously my expectation was he would not draw, accumulate a point, and get a first time buck tag for a unit I am familiar with. I am open to any suggestions or advice. We are headed down tomorrow to scout and get an idea of the country. He killed a cow a few weeks ago on a youth elk tag which gave him a lot of confidence and lit the fire in him.

Screenshot_20240926_180356_Gallery.jpg

I don't think there's any one place that's better than many others. there have been fires in recent years so I'm not sure how much has changed, but most of the better bucks I've seen have been near aspen and mahogany. the Skyline road is your best access and you can turn off that on many other roads.

It's been a few years since I hunted it but I took a 190" buck with double drops off the head of McDermitt Creek. he came out of the aspen right at the end of shooting light.

Your boy was very lucky to draw that tag, probably the best one in the state. be realistic on your expectations and you should have a great time.

I don't think there's any one place that's better than many others. there have been fires in recent years so I'm not sure how much has changed, but most of the better bucks I've seen have been near aspen and mahogany. the Skyline road is your best access and you can turn off that on many other roads.

It's been a few years since I hunted it but I took a 190" buck with double drops off the head of McDermitt Creek. he came out of the aspen right at the end of shooting light.

Your boy was very lucky to draw that tag, probably the best one in the state. be realistic on your expectations and you should have a great time.
Do you access the skyline road from mcdermott? Is it also know as disaster peak road? Thanks

I've never been all the way through , but I get on it off the Whitehorse road out of Fields. it's a pretty decent road, guys take RV's up it but I would want to take a big one .

Not sure where Disaster Peaks is.

Back
Top Bottom