Tripods.......

A

ALPHAMAXSTER

I am guessing this has been asked a million times but, I just got my Swaro 60mm spotter and am looking for a tripod. I need somthing packable that wont drain the savings account. Any reccomendations or if you know of other posts I can look at are greatly appreciated.

I use a slik sprint pro that I have had for about 4 yrs now and love the light weight and packability. I also like that the legs will open up to 90* from the main post, allowing you to sit underneath it or in mulitiple positions. I am 6' and it also will adjust so standing and looking is no problem. I recently bought a swaro spotter and have been taking pics thru it while on my tripod. You can see some of my moon pics in this forum under digiscoping. happy hunting
-sig

I bought the vortex high country tripod to use with my Swaro 15X56 binos on my NM muzzy hunt.They are packable,lightwieght and worked very well for me-no complaints.

I have been using my SKIK 444 Sport for years and love it...Also have a Velbond Chaser that is a bit taller. Both companies make good tripods for long range glassing and don't wipe out the kids college fund! NJS

I have a similar issue, except I'm really picky about the weight and size of my gear. I have a silk 450g. Its the perfect size, but its not the most stable.

I'm looking for a tripod that has a max hight of about 48". I am sitting down when ever I use the spotting scope, so there is no need to pack the extra weight of a 65inch tripod. Unfortunalty I'm also on a tight budget, so I'd like to find one for around $100 bucks. I'm looking at the Manfrotto 785B. I'm just afraid its not going to be strong enough for the swaro 60mm and I'll be back in the same spot I'm in now. Any other suggestions?

Packable and drain on savings account are relative terms but here are two options in different ends of the spectrum.

Feisol CT-3441S folded 17", fully extended 70", Weight 2.2 lbs, Carrying Capacity 22lbs, cost $300. Combine this with the Outdoormans Pan Head and your have a bomber set up that will handle the heaviest spotting scopes with a digiscoping rig.

Other end of spectrum Manfrotto 7301YB which comes with an ok 3way head. folded 20", max 56", weight 3.7 lbs, carrying capacity 7.7 lbs, cost $130. If your staying low to the ground it should be sturdy enough?

As always, you get what you pay for, the only set up I have found that is lighter than the Feisol is a Gitzo0531 but the Gitzo cost $100 more than the Feisol. For the extra $100 you save 8 ounces but you won't be as sturdy.

Hopes this helps, pm me if you want more info, I've got a decent amount of data on this topic.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom