tripods

C

coug56

Does anybody know anything about K&K tripods or the Outdoorsman tripods? Anything about the pistol grip heads on these two?

thanks

coug56, I am familiar with the outdoorsmans products. Outdoorsmans has three different sized tripods, the Outdoorsmans Tall Tripod extends to 62.5" without a head and compresses down to 21.5" and weighs 3 pounds. They also have an extension tube that will extend the length to 17" or a smaller tube that will extend to 10". The medium tripod extends to 44" and compresses down to 18.5" and weighs 2.4 pounds. The short tripod extends to 22.5" and compresses down to 11" and weighs 1.8 pounds. The short and medium tripods sell for $330.00 and the tall one sells for $500.00. I use the short tripod with an angled 20 x 60 swarovski spotting scope and do most of my spotting while sitting on the ground. I owne both the pistol grip head and the pan head and strongly prefer the pistol grip head. The pistol grip head weighs 9.8 ounces and cost $179.00. With this set up you will need a quick release adapter that weighs 3 ounces and cost $62.95. You can see that this set up is expensive but anytime you get into lightweight gear you pay big bucks. If you are not hunting out of a backpack then you do not need this lightweight stuff. Hunting from truck, ATV, horse, etc., a person could use anything. But when bivvy hunting and living out of a backpack a person needs the lightest thing they can get. I've used everything from Walmart tripods, Bogen tripods, Nikon tripods and a couple of others and my Outdoorsmans is by far my favorite tripod when it comes to bivvy hunting. I used to pack my heavy Bogen around and when I got my Outdoorsmans tripod I wondered why I waited so long to get it. They are high quality and have several other attachments that connect to the tripod. The only thing I don't like is the price.
I've never used a K&K tripod but have seen them at the store. Looks like great quality and lighter in weight than a bogen. I have heard good things about them and the price is nice.
I've also read good things about the "slik" line of tripods and they cost a lot less than the Outdoorsmans.
I'm sure that other people will mention a couple of other namebrands and they will probably be great quality also.
In my group of tripods every one has its place. The Bogen is heavy but is great when standing or while videoing it is very solid. I do not back pack with this one anymore.
My Walmart tripod fell apart but served me well as a medium set up. Most cheap tripods work well so don't be bamboozled into thinking you need something expensive.
I'm thinking about getting another Outdoorsmans tripod for bivvy hunting. One for a video camera which will trade off with 15x bino's and then I'll keep a spotting scope on the other one. These tripods are so lightweight that I can get away with taking two. I really could get by without such an expensive tripod but I love it so much that I want another one.
Goodluck, I hope this helps. fatrooster.

fatrooster has some good info for you there. I always answer the tripod post the same way though. For a lot less money than the Outdoorsman I'll buy the Slik Carbon Fiber Pro series tripods all day long. They are about half the price($249), the go higher and weigh less. Go to B&H photo and search for Slik Carbon Fiber 713 pro. The 613 doesn't go up as high but is less weight if you don't need to stand when your glassing.I saw an interesting pan head at this years Arizon Deer Diner, the Velbon 157Q. They are only about $35 and just over 1 pound. I'll be buying the 613 this year with the Velbon head to lighten up mu current setup. I've tried the Outdoorsman pistol grip and just couldn't get use to it. I can't get away from a nice pan head for my 15's. To each there own. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom