Tripod Recommendation

tracker12

Very Active Member
I have a Swaro 65 ATM and need a Tripod. I have never owned a quality Tripod but want something that will work well in the field and is packable. Don't want to break the banks but willing to buy quality.

The outdoorsmans is certainly great as far as quality and ease of packing. What I really like is that it takes up a lot less space to pack compared to others without giving up quality.

If you didn't want to go all in, due to price, I would do a manfrotto 190cx with the outdoorsmans head. The tripod isn't much bigger

Sagebrush
Thanks for the info on the Slik. Looks like a nice option for the price. What model do you use for the field.

Take a look at the Induro brand. I own two different models. High quality tripods. Price wise, middle of the road.

My back pack tripod is the Sprint Pro II. Weighs in at 2.4 lbs. The heavy model is the 504QF which weighs 5.7 lbs but that thing is rock solid in a gale and has the smoothest fluid head.

So I guess in my post I should have asked about a "fluid head" as some come with them and some don't. Seems the head ie equally as important as a decent tripod.

A fluid head has a hydraulic dampening system that allows the head to move in a smooth motion and will hold the location when you let off the pressure. You are able to keep your eye focused as you slowly pan to the next glassing area and stop without adjustment. Ball heads and tilt/pan heads without the hydraulic dampening system are meant to be loosened, moved and tightened. Pretty much impossible to maintain eye focus while moving. It's a minor feature but if you use a good fluid head, you will miss it when using a tripod without when glassing. The fluid head function was designed for video cameras where smooth movement is important when panning.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom