Tripod Help

S

shed_head

I'm wanting to buy a decent tripod for under or close to $100. What are some suggestions on brands that some of you guys have? I'm going to be using it for hiking and hunting, so it must be as light as possible.
Also, if your wanting to sell a tripod I might be interested.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-13 AT 03:04PM (MST)[p]I don't have a brand, but I bought a carbon fiber fluid 3 way head tripod new off ebay for about a hundred buck 8 years ago and it is still does just fine. I think it was one from asia somewhere. I will try and find a name for you. I tried some of the cheap aluminum ones before and usually didn't survive one season with me.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-13 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]I just ordered a vortex high country from a place that had them for $50.

It will be a while before I get to try it out, so I can't really tell you how good they are.

>Light, quality, and $100 don't go
>together unless you find a
>good used one.
+1!
also......"light weight" and "sturdy" don't always work out as well as one might hope. Weight is what takes out wind vibration.

Thanks for all the input on this post. If I decided to pay more than $100 for a tripod, what would be some suggestions? If I can't get a good one for $100 I would be willing to pay more for a good one.

The Vortex High Country is okay and worth what you pay. Fully extended, it is not very stable, but if you're sitting and glassing it isn't too bad. As many do, you can hang a sock of rocks off the bottom to help stabilize it. It is light weight.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-13 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]I have the Vortex high country and I don't like it. I bought a manfrotto from Costco for $129. The head on it is ok, not as good as the fluid head but it is real good for the money.

Your scope is only as good as the tripod it sits on check out the vanguard 111 its a great tripod i love mine. It has a fluid head and only hs one nob to ture and it controls up down and side to side.

Be a ebay shopper and wait and bid on only the nice stuff that has no reserve, sometime you get luck, found a Brogen/w head and 2 plates, on there several years ago for 1/3 of what a new one cost. worth a try.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have a Slik Sprint Pro 3-way and it has worked very well for my lightweight tripod. It has a good pan head and weighs in at just over 2 lbs. Of course its no longer in production and has been replaced by the Slik Sprint Pro II. The only complaint I have with mine is its a little wobbly when fully extended on a windy day. I think the new version has improved on this since they added one more section to the legs and added a little more weight at 2.42 lbs. Sitting, mine works great. $85 all day long. I bought mine from B&H Photo online.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614698-REG/Slik_611_865_Sprint_Pro_II_4_Section.html

I also have a Vanguard and while its lighter in weight, it sucks in every other way.

I use a Slik 504QF when I'm close to the truck and that thing is rock solid, even in the wind. It has a great pan head, weighs in at 5.7 lbs and is still available for $130. Mine is over ten years old and still going strong.

Save your pennies and buy an outdoorsmans tripod. They are light, durable and dang near indestructible .im going on eight years with mine and its still a solid tripod

Check out this video from S and S Archery..

I think I'm going to buy the Promaster that he reviews. I got to play with one at my local camera store and they seem really nice.

I found the Manfrotto 327rc2 head for less than half price from Amazon. Super nice head, now I need to spend the dough and get the tripod to put it on.

I bought a new scope and head, I just hate having to spend that much money on a tripod... but I've heard it is worth it.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom